How are current Macs terms of speed?

Post by Weetomunch » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:07:34

I understand the technical aspects involved but I've yet to use a
modern Mac and I was considering buying one but I'm not sure how they
stand up to PCs head to head. How well does say, a 1GHz G4 PowerMac
stand up to a fairly fast PC as I wouldn't want a system that ran
slowly compared to a PC.

How are current Macs terms of speed?

Post by Alan Zisma » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:52:34

Quote:>I understand the technical aspects involved but I've yet to use a
>modern Mac and I was considering buying one but I'm not sure how they
>stand up to PCs head to head. How well does say, a 1GHz G4 PowerMac
>stand up to a fairly fast PC as I wouldn't want a system that ran
>slowly compared to a PC.

Mac writer Gene Steinberg had a good comment on this in this week's
edition of his Mac NightOwl newsletter:

"The megahertz myth? Unless you're into computer graphics or
heavy-duty *, all personal computers these days are more than up
to the task. Consider that the computing power embedded in even the
lowliest chip from AMD, Intel and even Motorola, blows the pants off
house-sized computers of a few decades ago.

How much speed do you need to open a Web site, a word processing
document, or the latest avalanche of spam in your mailbox? Even an
entry-level iMac, circa 1998, can do that. What more do you want?

I rather think my son has the right idea. He gets the hand-me-down
Macs that I've finished using, although they aren't necessarily slow.
At present, he's using a dual-processor QuickSilver Power Mac from
2001, outfitted with one of those CPU upgrades from Powerlogix. Yet
just a week earlier, I had him working on an eMac that I had set up
for a product review.

"Did you notice a speed difference?" I asked.

"A little, I guess." He then returned to his guitar, practicing some
of those new blues and jazz*s his instructor just taught him. He's
got his head in the right place.

By the same token, Apple is vilified for falling behind in the CPU
horsepower race, and lots of Mac users are hoping that the good news
about IBM's new PowerPC chip will make everything right with the
world."

Right now, I've got a 2 GHz Dell notebook sitting next to a
several-year-old 500 MHz iBook Mac notebook. While the Mac is no speed
demon, there's no way that the (3 month old) Dell is, say, 4 times as
fast.

However, if I was considering buying a new PowerMac, I would wait at
least a couple of days. Lots of rumours about new much faster PowerMac
models being released at the WWC Developer's Conference at the
beginning of the week. If true, this will provide a speed and power
boost and make the previous generation of models available more
affordably.

How are current Macs terms of speed?

Post by Mr Dewson » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:00:23

Good article.

I have a different perspective on "the megahertz myth". I don't care
what speed the processor runs at, just as long as the computer is
responsive.

(Responsiveness is when you double-click on an icon and it starts
opening immediately, that kind of thing)

At uni they've got 700MHz iMacs which are undoubtedly faster than my
little old 333MHz iMac at home - however, they are definately more
frustrating to work with as they are much less responsive.

And responsiveness is a function of the processor power and the
operating system. I don't know how a soon-to-be-announced G4 would be
with the latest version of OS X, but if it's fast enough to be
responsive it will be worth getting.

--
Department of Planning and Infrastructure W. Aus. website:
"Paying riders and passengers using a three or four-wheeled bicycle do not

How are current Macs terms of speed?

Post by chri » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:32:20

Speed between PC and Mac is just incomparable... because speed is under
influence from far to much factors...

This whole *about 1 GHz and GHz is just stupid. I don't spend any money
on it anymore - I just buy my Mac because they are nice machines and less
hassle with the OS and Hardware. The main point for you should be - What do
I really want to do with MY computer?

I bought my first Mac (SE) some years ago and had to give up because Germany
wasn't the strongest Macintosh market - mostly designer used Mac and
software was so expensive I could not afford it. I switched to PC for
years - now money is not a big issue when I buy a Computer. At work is use a
PC (Trillions of Giga and whatever super duper fast - just to send and
receive emails - surf the web and watch * ;-)  - some colleagues will
start complaining about speed just 2 weeks after we got new pc's -  just
because they have 25 windows open....

At home I'm using a G4 (867 MHz 1GB/RAM) and it works wonderful - I burn
cd's, surf the net and read incoming emails - without any problem. I cant
type quick enough - so I will always be slower the my Mac.

It's like buying a car - if you buy a Porsche you would not ask for all the
nice extras - just fast please
if you buy a Bentley - speed is nice but comfort is the deal - isn't it?

Think what you want to do - games? there is no option buy a pc and go for
it - most games never will appear on the Mac and if the support and the
performance is lower as on a pc.
Just a daily use pc with email, web, word etc, music, burn cd's - there is
nothing nicer then a Mac - this is my personal and absolute unprofessional
recommendation.

Post by Mr Dewson » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:50:35

> Think what you want to do - games? there is no option buy a pc and go for
> it - most games never will appear on the Mac and if the support and the
> performance is lower as on a pc.

No, buy a games console. They are cheaper, probably work better, you get
a free controller so you don't have to play using the keyboard, and if
you've got a really big TV you can use that.

--

Post by Charles Marti » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:03:55

> I understand the technical aspects involved but I've yet to use a
> modern Mac and I was considering buying one but I'm not sure how they
> stand up to PCs head to head. How well does say, a 1GHz G4 PowerMac
> stand up to a fairly fast PC as I wouldn't want a system that ran
> slowly compared to a PC.

As a BROAD rule of thumb, a 1GHz G4 will run at about the level of a
2GHz PC.

There are areas where the G4 will do much better (Photoshop, BLAST, and
other "altivec-enhanced" apps), and some areas where the PC will clearly
dominate (scrolling in MS Office, 3D games).

The forthcoming G5 machines, on the other hand, meet or beat PCs at
every level in real-world tests. So if top performance is important to
you, I'd wait till late August/early Sept for the G5.
--
Cheers,
_Chas_

1. The fastest possible Mac <speed speed speed>

Well, I'm looking to put together the fastest Mac I can. The config I
have so far is:

Quadra 950
SCSI II Accelerator
Fast 850 Meg Harddisk <9 ms Average access time.
16" Colour screen and an A4 mono screen.
64 Megs of memory

Has anybody got any other suggestions ?

What are the fastest harddisks about ?

Whats the best scsi/quadra accelerator ?

This beast is going to be used for a lot of MacApp and Quicktime work. So
it
needs to be fast. I will be using all of Kent's speed ups from the tech
note (RAM
Disk etc.). What I need is the fastest hardware, then I will optimise on
that.

thanks for any suggestions,

2. Link Error LNK1000 making VxD

3. SPEED!SPEED!SPEED!speed?

4. Top 25 Most Evil People of the Millennium

5. WTB: Apple High Speed SCSI card for IIgs (prefer Ontario, but am open to all offers)

6. CAD Drawing that can be converted to the Internet?

7. Apple Hi Speed SCSI term power modification?

8. dvi previewer on linux

9. Apple High Speed SCSI card term power modification?

10. Purchasing: long term vs. short term

11. speed of mac vs. speed of iigs

12. Where do I get Z-term and Stuff IT Expander for MAC ??????

13. Tektronix 410x Term. Emulator for Mac