fan dying in Sawtooth AGP G4

Post by eric jacob » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:23:46

thing sounds like it is dieseling (if you have ever heard a vehicle with
that symptom)  Out of the blue it spontaneously gets louder and sounds
like it is oscillating (sp?) funny.  I smack the front of the G4 and it
gets quiet again.

I want to get a spare on hand for when it kicks the bucket.

What generic, quality part to I order and where do I find it online?

Yisroel
Burlington VT

fan dying in Sawtooth AGP G4

Post by John » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:11:15

shut down your G4. open the side and take a look at the fan. note the
maker and model, and any other info. Most electronics parts stores
should have something like that. You may wish to get one that moves
more air, too

just a thought

jb

fan dying in Sawtooth AGP G4

Post by Dale J » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:18:42

Quote:> thing sounds like it is dieseling (if you have ever heard a vehicle with
> that symptom)  Out of the blue it spontaneously gets louder and sounds
> like it is oscillating (sp?) funny.  I smack the front of the G4 and it
> gets quiet again.

> I want to get a spare on hand for when it kicks the bucket.

> What generic, quality part to I order and where do I find it online?

> Yisroel
> Burlington VT

Try:  www,mouser.com;  www.digikey.com

Look on the lable of the fan, get a make and model number then go to
Mouser or Digikey and find either the exact replacement or better with
higher CFM and ball bearings if possible.  You have to get the physical
size right and if it's DC or AC.

There are other parts houses around, but those are the two I deal with
and come to mind first.

Good luck
Dale J.

--
Dale J.
Bloomington, Minnesota

fan dying in Sawtooth AGP G4

Post by trister » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:31:33

> shut down your G4. open the side and take a look at the fan

That's the case fan he would be looking it.  My Sawtooth had this
symptom some time ago and I saw a couple of other similar posted
reports at about the time mine started.  In all the reports I've seen,
the power-supply fan was the culprit, not the case fan.  So as I first
step I would suggest listening closely to the power-supply fan, which
blows air out the back.  If it's the source of the noise, see below.
If not, open the case etc etc.  Obviously the machine has to be
running to figure out which fan is the noisy one -- don't shut down
until you've made that determination.

Replacing the power-supply is considerably more trouble than replacing
the case fan, since you need to disassemble the power-supply to get at
it.  But it's doable with no special expertise, which I know because I
did it :) It requires no special tools either, other than a torx
wrench.  Apple has a write-up of how to do it (actually this is a
write-up of how to replace the power-supply as a whole, but once you
have've the supply in your hands it's easy enoough to see how to open
it and replace the fan):

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/g4/powersupply.pdf

1. best video card for G4 AGP (Sawtooth) system?

I'm about to get a G4 AGP system on the cheapto replace my even-older
beige G3 and would like to know what the best video card for it is...

I've been TRYING to research this myself but it's incredibly convoluted.
ATI Radeon 8.5k or 9k... nVidia whatever (I can't even seem to sort out
what models of nVidia are available!)...

I can't spend over $200, I'm looking for excellent gaming frame rates
and I don't care about an ADC port (don't like Apple's LCD displays).

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!

2. Wang Open/Image Imaging UserObjects

3. €€ OS9 Prob. & Questions G4/400/'sawtooth' €€

4. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 1/2

5. * Analog A/V inputs via Firewire for G4 Sawtooth?

6. Typesetting chess with (La)TeX

7. How to make Zip boot on G4 Sawtooth

8. LIGHT SWITCHES<<<LAMP MODULES<<<REMOTES

9. Anyone with a July 2000 G4 (Sawtooth) able to "low power" sleep

10. AGP PC-video card for apple G4

11. HELP - Can't boot off CD on G4/400 AGP

12. G4 AGP 500 usb Ports not working