hiding prefs in in system prefs

Post by sam gre » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:06:02

hi:

so we're setting up a bunch of OS X machines to use in a cluster. we would
like to give users some access to some system prefs but not all. I haven't
found a way to configure things to my liking. yes, I can unselect "allow
access to all system prefs) in the configuration window in the accounts
preferences, but this seems to turn off a set number of system prefs
without any way to tailor exactly what gets turn on and what gets turned
off. for instance, in particular, it greys out the "displays" preference
pane which we would like to give users access to. there must be a way to
configure this, but I haven't been able to find it. any help?

thanks

sg

hiding prefs in in system prefs

Post by Larry Fransso » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:44:10

Quote:> there must be a way to
> configure this, but I haven't been able to find it. any help?

Remove the individual pref panes from /System/Library/PreferencePanes.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA

Post by sam gre » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 04:26:56

> > there must be a way to
> > configure this, but I haven't been able to find it. any help?

> Remove the individual pref panes from /System/Library/PreferencePanes.

thank you. but this would remove the pref panes from all accounts, right?
we would like to keep all pref panes for when the admin user has to log in
to configure network settings and such and yet when "guest" logs in he
can't change certain settings.

thanks

hiding prefs in in system prefs

Post by Larry Fransso » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:45:51

Quote:> thank you. but this would remove the pref panes from all accounts, right?

Oh.  Yes, I suppose that would.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA

hiding prefs in in system prefs

Post by sam gre » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:38:43

actually, I just had an idea. I might try changing the preferences of the
particular pref panes that we want to hide so that admin can read write and
execute, but guest has no privs. we'll see what happens.

hiding prefs in in system prefs

Post by sam gre » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:51:51

Quote:>  I might try changing the preferences of the

I meant, "changing the privileges"

Post by Alan Bake » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:12:29

> > > there must be a way to
> > > configure this, but I haven't been able to find it. any help?

> > Remove the individual pref panes from /System/Library/PreferencePanes.

> thank you. but this would remove the pref panes from all accounts, right?
> we would like to keep all pref panes for when the admin user has to log in
> to configure network settings and such and yet when "guest" logs in he
> can't change certain settings.

> thanks

So move the preference panes to the admin's
/User/<username>/Library/PreferencePanes folder (if there isn't one,
create it). See what happens.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

hiding prefs in in system prefs

Post by sam gre » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 06:45:52

Quote:> So move the preference panes to the admin's
> /User/<username>/Library/PreferencePanes folder (if there isn't one,
> create it). See what happens.

interesting. thanks. I'll try it.

hiding prefs in in system prefs

Post by sam gre » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:47:02

Quote:> actually, I just had an idea. I might try changing the preferences of the
> particular pref panes that we want to hide so that admin can read write and
> execute, but guest has no privs. we'll see what happens.

we ended up doing this, and it works just as we need.

1. Interested in writing plug-ins for AppleWin?

What about Mockingboard support?

I think the printer emulation shouldn't be too hard to do. All you have
to do is catch the codes the apple sends to its parallel port (PR#1) and
translate them into Windows GDI-calls (on a pixel-by-pixel basis). The
only printer I know of being supported in about all apple-programs is an
Epson.

Some more features:
* Change each color individually (the apple only supports few colors so
you could adjust them)
* Make the window resizable and give us full-screen-support (easy with
direct-X, I just lack the SDK)
* Add support for 3,5" floppies (there WAS something like that on the
apple)
* Add hot-keys, especially for disk-changing (What about CTRL+F1=Disk1,
and so on to disk 12?) This would be useful, especially for the bigger
games
* Give the user a way to turn the toolbar off.
* Implement a screen smoothing technic (The PC employs HiRes-Graphics
1024x768, as opposed to the apples 280x? screen)
* What about a way to start individual files from a disk (A way to open
apple-disks in Windows explorer would be nice too!)
* Enhance the on-line-help (List of AppleDos R3.3-Commands)
* Let users adjust the disk-speed like the CPU-speed (using a slider)
* Implement an easy screen-capturing-tool
* Implement those data-exchange buttons

Michael

2. Unable to download DSLink

3. New "Grand Piano" ins

4. Error Calling EnumPrinters but not WNetOpenEnum and NetServerEnum

5. GS Trade-ins ?

6. good cheap power supply

7. pics for desktop wanted (pref: Simpsons)

8. MIDI FILE FOR 1960'S SONG "MY GUY"

9. Mit dem Mac ins Internet

10. WANTED: ZipGS v1.02 or +; pref. in Ontario/Quebec

11. - Pref.c (1/1) Problem with FindControl ()...

12. - Pref.c (0/1) Problem with FindControl ()...