Different Mac OS versions?

Post by Alpay En » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:07:58

Can someone please tell me the different Mac operating systems going back in
time? I need to do a little research and had trouble finding a concise list
on the web... Thanks

Eno

Different Mac OS versions?

Post by ComicSho » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:54:14

> Can someone please tell me the different Mac operating systems going back in
> time? I need to do a little research and had trouble finding a concise list
> on the web... Thanks

> Eno

You might want to be a little more specific as to what you are looking
for.

There were unreleased versions, alpha, beta and GM versions, machine
specific versions, regional versions, versions for clones, etc. Did you
want to start at version 1 or version 4? Did you want to include the
pre-Mac "Lisa" versions? Did you want to include the Apple A/UX Unix
versions?

A comprehensive list would be quite long and take more than "a little
research", but you might want to wander over to your local library or
bookstore and start with an older version of the /Macintosh/ /Bible/
(Cliff Colby and Marty Cortinas)

--
ComicShop
<worst poster - ever>

Different Mac OS versions?

Post by ComicSho » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:21:07

> > > Can someone please tell me the different Mac operating systems going back
> > > in
> > > time? I need to do a little research and had trouble finding a concise
> > > list
> > > on the web... Thanks

> > > Eno

> > You might want to be a little more specific as to what you are looking
> > for.

> > There were unreleased versions, alpha, beta and GM versions, machine
> > specific versions, regional versions, versions for clones, etc. Did you
> > want to start at version 1 or version 4? Did you want to include the
> > pre-Mac "Lisa" versions? Did you want to include the Apple A/UX Unix
> > versions?

> > A comprehensive list would be quite long and take more than "a little
> > research", but you might want to wander over to your local library or
> > bookstore and start with an older version of the /Macintosh/ /Bible/
> > (Cliff Colby and Marty Cortinas)

> Mr. Shop... This response made me chuckle as I gazed at your X-face
> icon and imagined that voice speaking all this.

> 8)

Mr. K: LOL. You are absolutely right, I never thought about it! I
answered sincerely but I too can now hear CSG's barbed reply.
Thanks.  :-))

--
ComicShop
<worst poster - ever>

Different Mac OS versions?

Post by Alan Zisma » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:31:30

>Can someone please tell me the different Mac operating systems going back in
>time? I need to do a little research and had trouble finding a concise list
>on the web... Thanks

Well known Mac author David Pogue, has devoted Chapter 7 of his
MacWorld Mac Secrets book-- about 30 pages or so, to answering your
question.

Look for it in your library, or wherever fine books are sold.

Different Mac OS versions?

Post by Alpay En » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:32:50

Actually, I found what I needed about 10 seconds after posting this question
(isn't that always the way things go down) - sorry for the wasted
bandwidth... What I needed is listed below for anyone interested.

Panther, Jaguar, osx/10.x, os9.x, os10.x and thats about as far as I needed
to go
G5, G4, G3, 604e, 604, 603e, 603, 601, 68060, 68040 includes processors as
well

thanks for the replies guys.
Eno

Different Mac OS versions?

Post by Alpay En » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:50:51

er whoops, screwed up the order of the os revisions a little bit there...
you get the idea though, ok time for more caffiene.

Thanks again all

Different Mac OS versions?

Post by Craig Baile » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:12:05

> Mr. K: LOL. You are absolutely right, I never thought about it! I
> answered sincerely but I too can now hear CSG's barbed reply.

"Worst ... episode ... ever ..." ;)

--
Floydian Slip(tm) - "Broadcasting from the dark side of the moon"
Random Precision Productions(tm)

1. OS 9.1 & OS X in different partitions

I'm sitting here with my 10 day old iMac and my 10 days of knowledhe of the
same, wondering howe to put two partitions on a drive so I can have 9.1 on
one partition and OS X on another partition.

Anyone able to tell me the best/cheapest way of doing this, or pointing me
in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

Graeme Lamb

2. Getting SISHA (SCSI) card working on 4.1.[34]?

3. OS X and OS 9 on different partitions?

4. 68040 into a HP400t

5. Printing Problems with Word Version 6.01 on Mac OS 8.0, 8.1, 7.61 Using non-PowerPC Mac

6. submit does not work - extensions error

7. Different versions of ROM 01 GS?

8. Any good Query Tools for Notes

9. Different versions of the ROM 3 IIgs - details

10. 8*24 card --- different version?

11. DiskFit 1.6 (or whatever the latest version is): What's different?

12. Mac OS Query - Maintaining two 8.x versions on one partition

13. Different disks for different computers?