hard drive problems

Post by Marc Dupui » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 01:02:21

I tried to install a Seagate Medallist (ST 39140W) 9 gig SCSI drive in my
PPC 7600 (using a 68 to 50 pin adapter).  I removed the termination since it
was not the last drive in the chain. I gave it ID 2 (which was not being
used by other SCSI devices).I booted up and ran drive set up (Mac OS 8.5).
When I tried to do a low level format, I got a message saying the drive was
not ready!!.  I then tried with Techtool Pro (it did not detect the drive).
I then tried HDW toolkit and it also could not see the drive!!

BTW, is this drive ever noisy (my wife thought the snow plow was driving by
the house!!!)

md

hard drive problems

Post by RoBearBell » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 10:07:45

> I then tried with Techtool Pro (it did not detect the drive).
> I then tried HDW toolkit and it also could not see the drive!!

Check the documerntation that came with your hard drive and make sure
other jumpers are also correct.  Some SCSI drives are often set to spin
up on signal, but I usually have it set to spin up on power on.  Also
make sure the jumper for terminator are also set correctly.  I had a
problem with Micropolis 1GB because it was set to use internal
ternimator even though the ternimator resistor was removed.
Quote:> BTW, is this drive ever noisy (my wife thought the snow plow was driving by
> the house!!!)

hard drive problems

Post by J. Peterse » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 04:34:31

I had a strange experience too, while installing a Seagate Hawk 4 drive,
but eventually got it working.

I installed it as ID 2 unterminated, just as you did.  My IBM startup
drive (ID 0) was on the end of the chain.  I used the SCSI jumpers on
the 68 to 50 pin adapter and did not use the ones on the front of the
drive (I don't know if the Medallist has a similar configuration).  This
is what they recommend.

When I first tried to use the Apple tools, I got the usual 'this drive
not recognized, not supported' messages.  I didn't have much luck with
Hard Drive Tools either.

Silver Lining Pro recognized the drive and appeared to install a driver,
but would not low level format the drive.  The drive passed the basic
media and memory subsystem tests, but in the formatting, it would go
beyond the 'allotted' time it would normally take (after everything
appeared to format normally) and then report errors and refuse to
partition the drive.  In fact Silver Lining Pro crashed when I tried to
move the pointer over the partition pie chart image.

But ...  after messing with Silver Lining Pro and attempting to format
and install a driver, the Apple Drive Setup utility was then able to
recognize the drive.  So, I did a low level format with Apple's Drive
Setup utility, followed by initialization.  However, Drive Setup
wouldn't let me partition the drive into sections as I wanted.  So ...

... back to Silver Lining Pro.  It was now happy with the drive and
allowed me to partition it into three partitions (over-writing the
single partition, and the Apple driver with the Silver Lining driver in
the process) and it seems to work fine now.

My success may or may not have been dependant on the fact that I used SL
Pro.  I don't know.  It may just have been the back and forth nature of
the process, and so perhaps will work with other products.  Very silly,
if you ask me, but the information here might help you and the many
others who are struggling to use 'unsupported' third party drives on
their Macs.

> I tried to install a Seagate Medallist (ST 39140W) 9 gig SCSI drive in my
> PPC 7600 (using a 68 to 50 pin adapter).  I removed the termination since it
> was not the last drive in the chain. I gave it ID 2 (which was not being
> used by other SCSI devices).I booted up and ran drive set up (Mac OS 8.5).
> When I tried to do a low level format, I got a message saying the drive was
> not ready!!.  I then tried with Techtool Pro (it did not detect the drive).
> I then tried HDW toolkit and it also could not see the drive!!

> BTW, is this drive ever noisy (my wife thought the snow plow was driving by
> the house!!!)

> md

hard drive problems

Post by J. Peterse » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:53:51

Oh, one more piece of advice.  ALWAYS turn off file sharing (and
probably program linking too, though this doesn't seem as crucial) when
formatting a new third party drive (or any drive) on the Mac.  File
sharing can cause some strange hiccups and hangups that are not
necessarily reported by the hard drive formatting software.

> I had a strange experience too, while installing a Seagate Hawk 4 drive,
> but eventually got it working.

> [Description deleted for brevity]

> My success may or may not have been dependant on the fact that I used SL
> Pro.  I don't know.  It may just have been the back and forth nature of
> the process, and so perhaps will work with other products.  Very silly,
> if you ask me, but the information here might help you and the many
> others who are struggling to use 'unsupported' third party drives on
> their Macs.

> > I tried to install a Seagate Medallist (ST 39140W) 9 gig SCSI drive in my
> > PPC 7600 (using a 68 to 50 pin adapter).  I removed the termination since it
> > was not the last drive in the chain. I gave it ID 2 (which was not being
> > used by other SCSI devices).I booted up and ran drive set up (Mac OS 8.5).
> > When I tried to do a low level format, I got a message saying the drive was
> > not ready!!.  I then tried with Techtool Pro (it did not detect the drive).
> > I then tried HDW toolkit and it also could not see the drive!!

> > BTW, is this drive ever noisy (my wife thought the snow plow was driving by
> > the house!!!)

> > md

1. 20mb hard drive problem

Have a great old Apple IIe system with 2 5 1/4 floppy drives and a 20mb
hard drive attached.  System always booted up by turning on all save the
central unit and it automatically went to the hard drive for start up.  On
those occasions when it didn't and went to the floppy drives first was
able to remove the main unit's cover, tweek the innards, blow out some
dust, etc. and start the system again - and it always worked until this
last spring when nothing I do seems to alert the system to the presence of
the hard drive.  Now have a new Dell computer but before donating the IIe
to one of the local schools would like to recover and hard drive files and
have not only them but all the other 5 1/2 disks convered to compatibility
with the Dell.  Need someone with knowledge/time/etc. in the greater Los
Angeles area (preferably Pasadena area) who might be able to help.  Have
inquired at the university's information systems division but they all
deny any familiarity with Apple.  Advice??  Assistance??  Many thanks.

2. Change of IP address in the whole network..

3. Focus Hard Drive problems Error 0048, Folders within folders.

4. Adoom (Playing other wads)

5. SCSI Hard Drive Problem

6. Tamarack Scanners and Win95

7. A hard drive problem

8. The Net, BBC2 - Bollocks or what?

9. Hard Drive problems, Low Level format didn't help!

10. Hard Drive Problems

11. Sider hard drive problem

12. Re(2): Hard Drive Problem

13. HELP! Hard Drive Problem!