Apple notebook query

Post by Arun Hall » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:13:12

I've been given an apple notebook (recent one, out last yr, all
white), to do video editing. The problem is that the Hard drive is too
small, where and how can i get a new hard drive? I have no experience
with macs so im a bit confused.

Apple notebook query

Post by Evelin » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:12:33

Arun Hallan schreef:

Quote:> I've been given an apple notebook (recent one, out last yr, all
> white), to do video editing. The problem is that the Hard drive is too
> small, where and how can i get a new hard drive? I have no experience
> with macs so im a bit confused.

When it comes to harddrives, it's the same as with pc's: just look for a
notebook harddisk. (2.5")

Greetings,

        Eveline.

--
 (No more irc channels for me since: Sun Mar 16 20:13 CET 2003)
Willow (in Buffy 7x04 'Help'): 'Have you Googled her already?'

Apple notebook query

Post by Alan Zisma » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:22:16

Quote:>I've been given an apple notebook (recent one, out last yr, all
>white), to do video editing. The problem is that the Hard drive is too
>small, where and how can i get a new hard drive? I have no experience
>with macs so im a bit confused.

Sounds like you've got an iBook; its G3 processor is not ideal for
video editing; you'll get much better performance with a G4-powered
model.

But we all often have to make due with what we've got.

It is possible to upgrade the hard drive to another notebook-style IDE
drive, though if your system is still on Apple warranty, this may void
the warranty. You might want to let a local Mac dealer do this,
letting them back up the software and data, install the larger drive,
and restore the old drive's contents-- but it is possible to do it
yourself.

Easier, however, would be to purchase an external Firewire drive...
these can be reasonably inexpensive, offer good performance, and make
it easier to use your data with another system should you get a
better-performing one sometime in the future.

Note that in theory, if your external drive is formatted as a PC
drive, it SHOULD be able to be used with both Macs and PCs. I've had
lots of problems using PC-formatted drives on my Mac, and ended up
formatting it as a standard Mac drive.

Apple notebook query

Post by David » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:22:23

> I've been given an apple notebook (recent one, out last yr, all
> white), to do video editing. The problem is that the Hard drive is
> too small, where and how can i get a new hard drive? I have no
> experience with macs so im a bit confused.

All-white case?  That's one of the recent iBook models.  It has a G3
processor an is 500, 600, 700, 800 or 900MHz, depending on what the
specific model is.

Personally, I don't think a G3 is powerful enough to do video
editing, but you may feel otherwise.

The internal hard drive should be generic 2.5" IDE drive, like the
kind used in most laptops.  You can buy one on your own, install it,
and then boot the computer's System Restore CD (assuming you have it)
to configure it in its factory pre-loaded condition.

If you don't have the system restore CD, you can use a MacOS install
CD (assuming you got one of those with the computer) to install the
OS, and then install your apps.

If you don't have any CDs, then you'll want to make a backup of the
drive before replacing it, and restore the backup onto the new drive.

If all this seems like too much work, go external.  Lots of companies
make external FireWire hard drives, and some of them are pocket size,
so you can carry them wherever the computer goes.

-- David

Apple notebook query

Post by Fetch, Rover, Fetc » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:30:47

I have done a hard drive replacement in this model -
let me tell you -

***YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS YOURSELF***

I was Apple certified - it took me 2 hours!

the simplest solution -
get a firewire hard drive - connect it via the firewire port

> I've been given an apple notebook (recent one, out last yr, all
> white), to do video editing. The problem is that the Hard drive is too
> small, where and how can i get a new hard drive? I have no experience
> with macs so im a bit confused.

Apple notebook query

Post by David » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:14:26

Quote:

> I have done a hard drive replacement in this model - let me tell you
> -

> ***YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS YOURSELF***

> I was Apple certified - it took me 2 hours!

Yeah, I just downloaded one of the iBook service manuals (Visit
http://home.wanadoo.nl/manual.man/manuals.html to find the filenames,
then Google for them and hope you get lucky.)

Replacing the hard drive is easy.  Opening and closing the iBook's
case without causing permanent damage is hard.

I suspect someone who has worked inside laptops before wouldn't have
much of a problem (it doesn't seem more tricky than some of the Sony
laptops I've worked in) but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Quote:> the simplest solution - get a firewire hard drive - connect it via
> the firewire port

Or find out what an Apple service tech will charge to install a new
drive.

-- David

Apple notebook query

Post by Fetch, Rover, Fetc » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:49:09

> Or find out what an Apple service tech will charge to install a new
> drive.

probably more than a firewire drive

Apple notebook query

Post by Arun Hall » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:44:58

thanks all,

i need the firewire for the video.
i have to use the laptop coz thats what works has supplied me with.
ive fitted a HD b4, but only to a windows laptop.
this may sound stupid, but how do u find out how big the HD is on the ibook?

Apple notebook query

Post by Fetch, Rover, Fetc » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 07:42:20

select the drive icon on the desktop (either OSX or OS9)
then type command (apple) i  [File menu -> get info]

as for the internal drive replacement -
unfortunately Apple buried the drive

you literally have to take the entire case apart to get at the drive.
Top cover, bottom cover, electo-mag shields, keyboard, battery,
something in the area of 50 or so screws (most of which you need a
jeweler's loop (magnifier) to see.

> thanks all,

> i need the firewire for the video.
> i have to use the laptop coz thats what works has supplied me with.
> ive fitted a HD b4, but only to a windows laptop.
> this may sound stupid, but how do u find out how big the HD is on the ibook?

Apple notebook query

Post by Alan Zisma » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:47:05

Quote:>thanks all,

>i need the firewire for the video.
>i have to use the laptop coz thats what works has supplied me with.
>ive fitted a HD b4, but only to a windows laptop.
>this may sound stupid, but how do u find out how big the HD is on the ibook?

1) Firewire devices can be chained-- almost all Firewire external
drives will have two connectors; connect one to the computer, connect
the other to the video (it doesn't matter which you use).

Or get a Firewire hub. As I (and several others) have suggested, an
external Firewire drive is probably your best bet for getting lots of
room with good performance.

As well, it will let you move your data from one computer to another.

2) In OSX, click on the hard drive icon, and press Command+i (for
Information). You'll see lots of information about the drive.

Apple notebook query

Post by Stev » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:06:01

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:47:05 -0700, Alan Zisman wrote

>> thanks all,

>> i need the firewire for the video.
>> i have to use the laptop coz thats what works has supplied me with.
>> ive fitted a HD b4, but only to a windows laptop.
>> this may sound stupid, but how do u find out how big the HD is on the
>> ibook?

> 1) Firewire devices can be chained-- almost all Firewire external
> drives will have two connectors; connect one to the computer, connect
> the other to the video (it doesn't matter which you use).

> Or get a Firewire hub. As I (and several others) have suggested, an
> external Firewire drive is probably your best bet for getting lots of
> room with good performance.

> As well, it will let you move your data from one computer to another.

Additionally, I don't know what software you are intending to use, but people
who use iMovie often recommend using an external firewire drive, and
reformatting it between projects to remove any possible corruption. This
would be much easier to do with an external drive.

Quote:

> 2) In OSX, click on the hard drive icon, and press Command+i (for
> Information). You'll see lots of information about the drive.

If you have a program called System Profiler (comes stock on later machines),
running it should tell you all you want to know about the HD.

Steve C

Apple notebook query

Post by Brane E. Ac » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:57:00

i have replaced my ibook's hard drive and i can say that it was a real
pain opening the ibook up.  apple does not make it easy to open up the
ibook.

> I've been given an apple notebook (recent one, out last yr, all
> white), to do video editing. The problem is that the Hard drive is too
> small, where and how can i get a new hard drive? I have no experience
> with macs so im a bit confused.

1. How to get a real Apple IIGS notebook!

GS enthusiasts, some time ago, there was talk about adapting
LCD displays for the Apple II and the latent market here.

How would you like to build not just such a display, but a real
Apple IIGS portable?  A portable with a real Apple IIGS mother-
board and an 11Mhz Zip GSX, 4MB, 80MB SCSI hard drive,
and a 1.44MB FDHD?

The unit is a cool black portable case with a VGA 640x480
LCD matrix display.  It looks like a PC portable.  It has your
3.5" drive with a hard drive.  Excellent look, portability, and
ALL APPLE II!

Go to this link http://www.apple2.org/AppleIIgsPortables.html
to find out how to build YOUR portable IIGS!

I hope this makes it into the FAQs....many people have asked
about this.

2. exposing slide film better on Epson 2450 with Vuescan

3. Apple's hybrid Mac/486 notebook computer.

4. Atari.Archive restrictions

5. Using Apple 13" HiRes Monitor on a PC notebook

6. 'Response from unexpected source': what does this mean, please?

7. QUERY FOR AUTHOR OF APPLE II GAMES AND USERS

8. Discussion Forum: New messages alert

9. Apple II VIDEX card query

10. apple iic + printer -- a query

11. Query: Reading Apple II 5.25" on an IBM PC/AT