MAC 7.1 OS games & OS 8.5

Post by Tom Elli » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have a bunch of games on my Centris 610 w/MAC os 7.1 & I purchased a
iMAC with os 8.5. Will the games from the Centris work on the iMAC and
if so
does anybody know of a good way to move the folders to the iMAC from the
Centris, or is it possible to put the drive from the Centris into the
iMAC? Any
help will be appreciated.

Please reply via e-mail.

MAC 7.1 OS games & OS 8.5

Post by Jerry Stratt » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I have a bunch of games on my Centris 610 w/MAC os 7.1 & I purchased a
>iMAC with os 8.5. Will the games from the Centris work on the iMAC and
>if so
>does anybody know of a good way to move the folders to the iMAC from the
>Centris, or is it possible to put the drive from the Centris into the
>iMAC?

The Centris drives are almost certainly SCSI drives, which the iMac won't
be able to take.

Best choice, if the Centris has Ethernet, get a 'crossover' Ethernet cable
and plug the two computers together; then turn FileSharing on in the
Centris. Use the chooser to 'log into' the Centris from the iMac. If you
are planning on keeping the Centris, and it does not have Ethernet, I'd
recommend getting it. being able to hook both computers up to each other
will be a big plus.

If you are looking for high-capacity removal media, the iMation SuperDisk
seems to work quite well--I have a friend with one. And it will read
normal (high-density) floppy disks, allowing you to transfer from the
Centris to the iMac.

The games will *probably* work on the iMac. There are some very old games
out there that still work on the newest Macs. But I'm sure there are some
that won't. The problem will most likely end up being from the different
OS's (8.5 vs. 7.1) rather than the different hardware.

Note follow-ups.

Jerry
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/

MAC 7.1 OS games & OS 8.5

Post by R.J. Faa » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a bunch of games on my Centris 610 w/MAC os 7.1 & I purchased a
> iMAC with os 8.5. Will the games from the Centris work on the iMAC and
> if so
> does anybody know of a good way to move the folders to the iMAC from the
> Centris, or is it possible to put the drive from the Centris into the
> iMAC? Any
> help will be appreciated.

> Please reply via e-mail.

Chances are that the games will work.  Most older software hasn't had much
problems with OS 8 or 8.5.

The easiest method for transferring files is going to be using an ethernet
network between the two Macs (assuming there is an ethernet port on the
Centris... if not you buy an ethernet card fairly inexpensively or a
LocalTalk/ethernet adapter).  If you need some guides as to how to do this,
check http://www.veryComputer.com/

If you don't have large amounts of files, you could either use FTP space on
the internet or email to transfer files.

Its almost a certainty that you couldn't use the internal drive with the
iMac and it'd be a real hassle to do even if it were possible.  If you have
a zip drive, you could get a USB model zip drive for the iMac and use that
method or consider one of the upcoming USB-SCSI adapters for the iMac
(http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
info on these).

--
"By the power of GreySkull... I have email!"
- Eleanor Skinner circa 1996

My powerful, complete, and always helpful Mac resource is at
http://www.veryComputer.com/

My fun and enjoyable Mac digital postcards are at
http://www.veryComputer.com/

My homepage and * are at
http://www.veryComputer.com/

MAC 7.1 OS games & OS 8.5

Post by Robert_hedderi » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've been transfering a bunch of games from a Performa 405, Sys. 7.01 to
an iMac sys. 8.5.1.  I've had some problems with oddball freeware &
shareware games causing system freeze - up to the point I had to use the
"paper-clip-in-the-programmers-hole" trick to get it to restart. No
problem since I trashed the offending applications. The system
automatically ran disk first aid in restart. The iMac is rockin' & rollin'
now.

Robert

> I have a bunch of games on my Centris 610 w/MAC os 7.1 & I purchased a
> iMAC with os 8.5. Will the games from the Centris work on the iMAC and
> if so
> does anybody know of a good way to move the folders to the iMAC from the
> Centris, or is it possible to put the drive from the Centris into the
> iMAC? Any
> help will be appreciated.

> Please reply via e-mail.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
-- Nobel prize physicist, Richard Feynman.
Delete: [spam_not_] to email me.

1. OS 8.5 > 8.6 Upgrade & CD-ROM drive

I have just upgraded from 8.5 to 8.6 on a G3 PowerBook.

The CD-ROM drive appears as a device on System Profiler, but  CD-ROMs
are not recognised.

Attempting to use music CDs results in an error message to the effect
that the CD-ROM drive is absent.

BrianB

2. Getting iostream.h to work

3. mac os 8.5

4. Netmeeting - Getting it to install from server should the user not have it already.

5. Mac OS 8.5 trouble

6. Help! TCP/IP, Linksys BEFSR41, @home Problem

7. Mac OS 8.5

8. Lotus Notes Document Imaging - LNDI - "lindy"

9. Mac O.S. 8.5 CD!

10. Mac OS 8.5 memory leak

11. "FREE" MAC OS 7.5 UPDATE 2.0 & MAC OS 8 TOUR CD