BASIC QUESTION: how can I mount a DOS formated SCSI disk?

BASIC QUESTION: how can I mount a DOS formated SCSI disk?

Post by Richard MOU » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have tried to mount a DOS formated SCSI hard disk on my mac. I thought it
>can be done using "Exchange PC/Macintosh" which works fine for floppy disk.

>This may help for a answer: the disk is a FUTJISU M1606S-512. SCSIprobe "see"
>it in the SCSI chain and SunTar is able to talk to it (not useful of course
>because SunTar understand only tar and bar format). I tried the options part
>of the above control panel, select the disk (there was no SCSI conflict) to
>load driver (?) and press OK: nothing append even after a restart. The control
>panel is in version 2.0.1. System is 7.5.1 (french one).

>Can you give me any information, please?

Phone/Fax    : +39 332 78-9239/9472
WWW          : under construction
Address      :       Dr Richard MOULI
             : ISEI TP 210 Joint Research Center
             :      I-21020 ISPRA (VA)
             :           ITALY

Post by Xianhui » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> >I have tried to mount a DOS formated SCSI hard disk on my mac. I thought it
> >can be done using "Exchange PC/Macintosh" which works fine for floppy disk.

According to the adverti*t, the newer version of Software WIndows 3.0
can use PC SCSI disk.

--

Chemistry Department          Phone :  (805)-893-2399
University of california      Fax   :  (805)-893-4120

Post by Stephen R » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> > >I have tried to mount a DOS formated SCSI hard disk on my mac. I
thought it
> > >can be done using "Exchange PC/Macintosh" which works fine for floppy disk.
> According to the adverti*t, the newer version of Software WIndows 3.0
> can use PC SCSI disk.

I don't know who originally asked the questions, but PC Exchange, included
with System 7.5 and higher, will mount DOS SCSI drives.  Open the PC
Exchange control panel and click the Options button.

--
Stephen Rea
Macintosh Systems Engineer

Post by Joerg Erde » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>thought it

>> According to the adverti*t, the newer version of Software WIndows 3.0
>> can use PC SCSI disk.

>I don't know who originally asked the questions, but PC Exchange, included
>with System 7.5 and higher, will mount DOS SCSI drives.  Open the PC
>Exchange control panel and click the Options button.

>--

I'd doubt this. The only DOS SCSI media that PC Exchange can mount directly
are Syquests for it has a SCSI driver for these drives build in. Some other
drives may also work with this driver, but in most cases you will need some
other driver installed at the SCSI ID you hook up a DOS SCSI HD.
The option dialog is mainly to support suffix assignments on media other
than floppies that are (no matter how) mountable.
Anyhow, I would like to know if anyone succeeded mounting a DOS SCSI HD with
nothing else than PC Exchange.

Joerg Erdei

BASIC QUESTION: how can I mount a DOS formated SCSI disk?

Post by Lee Blevin » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I've been using a  product called multi driver that mounts just about
anything.

Post by Joerg Erde » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I've been using a  product called multi driver that mounts just about
>anything.

Multidriver is part of AccessPC (Insignia Solutions), and is only intended
to be used with removables.

Joerg Erdei

Post by ddevolder.cedserver.uab. » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I'd doubt this. The only DOS SCSI media that PC Exchange can mount directly
> are Syquests for it has a SCSI driver for these drives build in. Some other
> drives may also work with this driver, but in most cases you will need some
> other driver installed at the SCSI ID you hook up a DOS SCSI HD.
> The option dialog is mainly to support suffix assignments on media other
> than floppies that are (no matter how) mountable.
> Anyhow, I would like to know if anyone succeeded mounting a DOS SCSI HD with
> nothing else than PC Exchange.

Formatter Five from Software architects come with a control panel that can
mount DOS SCSI HD partitions and a program to format them. They also have
DOS Mounter, but I believe it will mount only removables. In my experience
it is much more reliable than Access PC (up to 2.x for me) or PC Exchange
(up to 2.0.3) that consistently destroyed the FAT of DOS SCSI HD they
mounted...

Daniel Devolder

1. Read a DOS Formated SCSI HD from a Mac?

        I have alots of images taken in my experiment with a PC.
The images are stored on a 1.2GB SCSI drive.  Currently I am using
MacLink to transfer my images to a Mac IIci for analysis.
        Are the SCSIs in PC and in Mac compatible?  Is there any
way to let Mac to directly access those image files?  My dream
would be: a) still using my PC to run my experiment and take images;
          b) once one run is finished, reconnect the SCSI drive
             to my IIci with a proper adapter.
          c) with some system drive on the IIci, it sees the SCSI
             drive as its own.

        When I put DOS Mounter on my IIci, it treats DOS formated
floppies as Mac formated.  It brings so much convinience to the people
like me struggling in a mixed world.  So I naively dreamed that
the same would be true for SCSI drives.  Please wake me up.
--
        Fang Zhong                              1-919-684-8247

        Durham, N.C.      27706

2. Getting Started on SLIP

3. Mounting DOS SCSI Drives?

4. SMS Client Won't Install

5. How to mount a DOS-formatted hard disk on a Mac desktop...

6. y2k and fictitious money

7. FS: Original DOS 3.3 Basics and System master disks (circa 1980)..

8. SONY-55E help needed

9. Mounting a corruped SCSI disk?

10. SCSI Mounting Question.

11. Wanted: Tool to mount Apple SCSI Hard DIsk

12. Reusing pc-formated zip disk on a Mac

13. Basic Appleoft BASIC question