HELP: Mac Hardrive won't mount

Post by Barry Mo » Wed, 06 Oct 1993 04:18:02

I have an external 200 MB Protoge (quantum mechnaism)
hard drive hooked to my Mac LC as well as the internal
40 MB hard drive. I usually boot from the external drive
although I keep a slimmed down copy of the System folder on
the internal drive just in case.

This combination has worked well for over two years; however,
last Friday, the external drive refused to mount. Repeated tries
had no effect. Working from the internal drive, I tried SCSI Probe
3.5, which would recognize the drive but not mount it. Finally, I
was able to get the drive to force mount by using some software
supplied by the manufacturer. After this I was able to mount the
external drive as the boot device by restarting my Mac; however,
it will still not automount on power-up. Disk First Aid 7.2 reports
no problems with the external drive.

I'm now looking for other options. I've considered getting Norton Utilities
or Mac Tools. I'll also had someone suggest I get a program which
puts a new SCIS driver on the disk without reformatting the whole drive.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Barry Moss

--
Barry Moss                      | Phone: (604) 241-6148
Motorola: Wireless Data Group,  | Fax:   (604) 241-6042

Post by Susan E. Kayser NSSDC/STX (3 » Fri, 08 Oct 1993 19:42:00

>I have an external 200 MB Protoge (quantum mechnaism)
>hard drive hooked to my Mac LC as well as the internal
>40 MB hard drive. I usually boot from the external drive
>although I keep a slimmed down copy of the System folder on
>the internal drive just in case.

>This combination has worked well for over two years; however,
>last Friday, the external drive refused to mount. Repeated tries
>had no effect. Working from the internal drive, I tried SCSI Probe
>3.5, which would recognize the drive but not mount it. Finally, I
>was able to get the drive to force mount by using some software
>supplied by the manufacturer. After this I was able to mount the
>external drive as the boot device by restarting my Mac; however,
>it will still not automount on power-up. Disk First Aid 7.2 reports
>no problems with the external drive.

>I'm now looking for other options. I've considered getting Norton Utilities
>or Mac Tools. I'll also had someone suggest I get a program which
>puts a new SCIS driver on the disk without reformatting the whole drive.

I had a similar problem. I replaced my internal hard disk, partitioning it,
with one partition as the startup disk. After two weeks, the Mac wouldn't boot.
Emergency floppies with Disk First Aid, MacTools 2, and with Norton's
Utilities 2 would not see the startup partition; the other partitions were
fine. I'd put my old hard disk, which still had all the software on it, into an
external case, so I added this to the SCSI chain, where it became the startup
disk by default. The disk formatting software that came with the new hard disk
was on the old one, and that _did_ see the bad partition, and would even mount
it. I then ran MacTools on it, and Disk First Aid, and neither found any
problems. But, the next startup, the bad partition booted up fine, as the
startup disk, and I haven't had any problems since. I've no idea what happened,
but I've given up the notion of selling my old hard disk! (I also made a new
backup immediately, of everything.)

Hughes/STX at NASA/GSFC/NSSDC
Greenbelt, MD

1. Help! CDs won't mount

If you're sure the CD isn't spinning - i.e. it comes out facing the same way
it went in, then either the drive is dead or the power connector has worked
its way loose. Open the computer and re-seat the power connector. May as well
reseat the SCSI connector as well while you're in there.

If the CD _is_ spinning and you still can't mount a disk, use a SCSI utility
(CD-Rom Toolkit, HD Toolkit, SCSI Probe etc....) and see if it can see the
drive. If not you have a SCSI preoblem - connection, ID conflict....

If it can see the drive and disks _still_ don't mount, you"re missing (some
of) the CD software. You need, at least, Apple CD, Foreign File Access and
Audio CD Access installed.

Steve  = : ^ )

2. Show Form from external Application

3. HELP! Internal drive won't Mount!

4. 5.25" floppy disk drive problems in Win98

5. Help! Disk images won't mount

6. LotusScript: Entering event for field

7. HELP! Internal drive won't Mount!

8. JOB: User Interface Engineer, Voicetek Corporation,MA

9. What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

10. HELP: P-RAM shot - Mac won't boot - HELP

11. old 5.25" disks won't mount on IIgs?

12. Iomega Zip Won't Mount

13. HD won't mount, what next?