New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by Jeff A. Harre » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

We've all seen the Apple "Mission: Impossible" commercial. ("After you see
the movie, you'll want to buy the book." PowerBook, get it?)

Tonight on NBC during Saturday Night Live, I saw a similar movie tie-in
featuring the PowerBook Jeff Goldblum's character uses in the upcoming
"Independence Day." This time the tag line is "The Power to Save the
World."

What do you folks think of this new advertising strategy? Neither of these
commercials feature anything substantive at all, just clips from the
movies. PowerBooks are featured prominently, but as little more than
props.

The idea is obvious: Famous people use Macintosh computers; you should use
them too.

Granted, it's not "1984." It's not "The Power to Be Your Best." It's not
even "The Power to Crush the Other Kids." But is it going to work? Or is
it just going to reinforce the opinion that Macs are overpriced, overhyped
toys?

All discussion is welcome.

         --------------------
            Jeff A. Harrell

     http://www.dfw.net/~jharrell
         --------------------

New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by Lawson Englis » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

[...]

:          --------------------

As long as the name is up there, the advertising is worthwhile (maybe not
cost-effective, but still somethign). Since it is *Apple* saving the
world, that is a good thing, also. I'd be interested in seeing if folks
watching the ad have a better impression of Apple than before watching it.
Ditto with those leaving the theatre as opposed to entering it.

It would be a tricky subject to study, I think.

Lawson English                           Toolbars are evidence that

                                         -Kevin Killion

New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by Platypus Multimedia Solutio » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

In regards to the new ID4 movie ad:  How about that obvious subtext?
In "Independence Day" a small group of rebels seek to repel an attempt
at global domination and extermination by an enormous evil alien empire.
Thanks to Apple computers, they have the "power to save the world."

Very bold.  I like it.

-guT

New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by Joe Ragos » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> As long as the name is up there, the advertising is worthwhile (maybe not
> cost-effective, but still somethign). Since it is *Apple* saving the
> world, that is a good thing, also. I'd be interested in seeing if folks
> watching the ad have a better impression of Apple than before watching it.
> Ditto with those leaving the theatre as opposed to entering it.

> It would be a tricky subject to study, I think.

Conceptually, it's a good idea. They'll have to do better than they did
with Mission Impossible--$14 million and no one even saw their computers.
I could find _lots_ of better ways to spend $14 million.

--
Regards,       Joe Ragosta

Copyright Joseph M. Ragosta, 1996. Non-exclusive, royalty free
license to distribute this post granted to any service provider
except Microsoft. By posting this, Microsoft agrees to pay $1,000 per
posting.

New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by John E. Castas » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> What do you folks think of this new advertising strategy? Neither of these
> commercials feature anything substantive at all, just clips from the
> movies. PowerBooks are featured prominently, but as little more than
> props.

Well, it's a helluva start. ID4 is going to be HUGE. Apple is going to get
lots of positive exposure, which is something it desperately needs. Apple
needs to get its' name out to the world, and tagging along with the
biggest film in recent years is going to help.

First, Apple is going to establish themselves in consumer's minds. Then, I
hope Apple starts running ads differentiating themselves from other
brands, and explaining why Macs are better than PCs.

However, the PowerBook tie-in was badly timed. Odds are that when
customers go to the store, there won't be any, since they've all been
recalled. I can't find a PB anywhere in St. Louis. Out of curiosity, how
is Goldblum going to save the world? Throw a flaming 5300 at the alien
mothership? <grin> Switch the alien mothership's batteries with Sony LiIon
batteries?

Quote:> Granted, it's not "1984." It's not "The Power to Be Your Best." It's not
> even "The Power to Crush the Other Kids." But is it going to work? Or is
> it just going to reinforce the opinion that Macs are overpriced, overhyped
> toys?

I like Apple's new advertising attitude. MI and ID4 are two great tie-ins.
Now, Apple needs to follow-up with some killer ads in print and on
television.

What I don't understand is why Macintosh, the platform of ad agencies
around the world, has had such consistently underwhelming ads in past
years.

Hopefully, Satjiv Chahil will keep up the good work.

---------
Cordially,
John E. Castasus
€ Save Bandwidth... Trim Your Headers € DNRC O- €

Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the Macintosh cause by

New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by Andy Templem » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I like Apple's new advertising attitude. MI and ID4 are two great tie-ins.
> Now, Apple needs to follow-up with some killer ads in print and on
> television.

I saw the first Mac ad on UK TV for a couple of years tonight, which was
tied in with the IM release here tomorrow. It was clippings from the
film as shown in the film's ad, interspersed with shots of a 5300 being
used. (these had the same feel as the film clips but I dont know if
that's what they are ?) Finished with 'You've seen the film, now buy the
book' and Apple logo.

Andy

New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by Kevin Thomas Broo » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I think the advertising strategy is great. It looks like it'll lure in
some Windows users.  You know, it doesn't really show off what the OS
can do. It just shows some good pictures.  Sound like someone we know?
I'm not trying to turn this into a Win vs. Mac debate (like we need
another), but Apple's strategy is going the same way the other guys did.
The way the other guys are going, it might work.  That's my opinion
        -Kevin
--
"I was gonna send some money but the envelope was already sealed"
      Continuing the never-ending quest for a good, cheap ISP

New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by Sidath Jayawarden » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I think the advertising strategy is great. It looks like it'll lure in
> some Windows users.  You know, it doesn't really show off what the OS
> can do. It just shows some good pictures.  Sound like someone we know?
> I'm not trying to turn this into a Win vs. Mac debate (like we need
> another), but Apple's strategy is going the same way the other guys did.
> The way the other guys are going, it might work.  That's my opinion

        Unfortunately, Apple doesn't seem to be putting it's ads on at prime
time. The last (and only, it seemed) Apple/ID4 commercial I saw was at
1:00am! Contrast that with MS which advertises on Friends and on the NBA
playoffs. Apple still doesn't get it: if no one sees the commercial, no
one's going to care.

                        Jaliya

New Mac Movie Tie-ins

Post by Kevin Thomas Broo » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hopefully, Satjiv Chahil will keep up the good work.

> ---------
> Cordially,
> John E. Castasus

Who's Satjiv Chahil?

--
"I was gonna send some money but the envelope was already sealed"
      Continuing the never-ending quest for a good, cheap ISP

1. New "Grand Piano" ins

Subject: Re: New "Grand Piano" instrument bank for MIDIsynth

Another thing to keep in mind about IIgs sound versus PC sound cards is
that most of the IBM software out there today is written to support as
many machines as possible.  This means that most software is written to be
used with SoundBlaster and compatible cards (4 8 bit digital channels plus
the FM synthesis Adlib stuff) and not these new wavetable cards.  Don't
get me wrong though, there is support for these newer cards, it just isn't
really widespread yet.

And another thing, most of the multimedia packages on the market today
don't even use your sound card.  They simply play CD audio directly from a
CD-ROM.  These type of samples would sound the same on a 8 bit
SoundBlaster as they would on a wavetable card with 8 MB.

Just my two cents.

 * 2qwk! 2.01 * "Gene Police! You -- out of the pool, NOW!!"

2. Syquest Syjet parallelport

3. Animas / Genius scanner, need new plug-ins

4. Why can I not get stability?

5. movie movie board from sigma designs...

6. Performance numbers needed for SS series...

7. GS <--> Mac Tie-in

8. CP752 and Livingston PortMaster

9. What are good security (tie-down) devices for Mac II's?

10. Mit dem Mac ins Internet

11. Great New Movie

12. In honor of the new Star Wars movie...

13. New Powerbook 400 MHz has muscle for digital movies?