How do I send a file from one computer to another on an ethernet network?

Post by Tom Stille » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>How do I send a file from one computer to another on an ethernet network?

Select Mac OS Help from the help menu while in the finder and then
choose Sharing files with others and the Help system will walk you
through.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

How do I send a file from one computer to another on an ethernet network?

Post by Cathy Stevenso » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>How do I send a file from one computer to another on an ethernet network?

This is explained in the Apple menu's Help center. You also might
take a look at Apple's TIL article #43015.

Cathy

"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet"- mehitabel

cstevenson, M.D.

Post by Alan Bake » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> >?Both are macs. How do I move an application from my 6500 mac to my
>> >?daughter's imac? Where do I drop the application and whaT SETTINGS? I
>> >?know how to open Word docs, but how do I do this? Thanks.

>> If you are opening Word documents across the network, then you already
>> have the pieces in place.  Presumably, you have a drive from the iMac
>> mounted on your 6500's desktop, or vice-versa.

>> To copy an application across, you will probably be able to just locate
>> the application, and then drag it (or the folder containing it, if it is
>> in its own folder) to wherever you want it on the other computer.

>> Most programs will create the necessary preferences when they are first
>> run on a new machine.  If you want to keep your existing settings, look
>> inside the "Preferences" folder in the System Folder of the computer
>> currently containing the application.  You will probably see a file (or
>> a few files) named after the application.  Just drag these into the
>> Preferences folder in the "target" computer's System Folder, and Bob's
>> probably your uncle.

>>    -g
>I don't see an icon when I am sharing, since I only have set it to share
>just applications. How do I set it to have access to my daughter's whole
>harddrive? Thanks.

To share files between two computers you need:

A valid physical (usually ethernet) connection:
check Appletalk CP

File sharing turned on on at least one of the machines:
File Sharing CP (also called Sharing Setup in earlier OSs)

A valid user name for the machine you want to get file from:
Users & Groups CP

Some or all of the volumes and folders on the "File Sharing on" machine
shared:
Select item and then either File:Sharing (for OS 8.1 and older) or
File:Get Info, Sharing panel in info window (for newer OSs).

One exception to this is that the Owner of the machine (as setup in the
File Sharing CP) can always see all the volumes (hard drives) of their
own machine if File Sharing is on.

So in your case, you might log on _as_ your daughter (assuming her name
is in her File Sharing CP as Owner).

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

How do I send a file from one computer to another on an ethernet network?

Post by mjd » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Be aware, however, that with sharing active it is possible for others on
your cable node to access your computer as well.  mjd

Post by Graeme Hieber » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Be aware, however, that with sharing active it is possible for others on
> your cable node to access your computer as well.  mjd

Only if you have TCP/IP sharing.  AppleTalk packets don't make it
through (most?) cable modems.

   -g

1. How do I send a file from one computer to another on an ethernet network?

what if you have several PC's and  several Mac's connected to an Ethernet HUB
??

 |   Etop Udoh     | SOUTHERN POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY [89-##]     |
 |  P.O. Box 4234  |  Http://www.mindspring.com/~s_druid               |
 |  Marietta, Ga   |  Http://www.freeyellow.com/members7/sdruid        |
 |     30061       |  Http://www.homestead.com/~s_druid/files/index.htm|
 |-----------------|  Http://sdruid.iwarp.com                          |
 |                 |  Http://s_druid.home.mindspring.com               |
 |                 |  Http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/bit/9122  |

 |                 .....TRUST NO ONE - DENY EVERYTHING.....            |

2. Re-order Images listed in RIS menu?

3. How send Apple IIe file to PC-DOS

4. FW: New opportunities - SAP Basis

5. Networking Macintosh and DOS/Windows computers

6. Adding local Web Reference error

7. Doing it first vs. doing it best

8. V4R4 upgrade - session drop problem

9. DOS 8.3 and long file names screwed up via ethernet to iMac

10. Networking one cable modem, multiple networks

11. Q: PowerMac 6100/Quadra 610 + DOS Card + NetWare + Network (dos) ??!!

12. Transferring DOS files to 6100/DOS

13. Transfer of DOS files to 6100/DOS