Problems Using Mac Vision/Mobius/Connectix/System 7.1

Problems Using Mac Vision/Mobius/Connectix/System 7.1

Post by David M. Ko » Sat, 21 May 1994 00:00:00

I am a Macintosh SE user, working with Opcode's Vision (2.0.3) and
System 7.1. I recently installed an accelerator card from Mobius
Technologies - a 33MHz 030 card with 4 MB on board, giving my Mac a
total of 8MB. Additionally, I use Connectix Compact Virtual (I have
the latest version) to manage the memory above 4MB.

My system has developed some odd habit of crashing quite often. I
experience crashes whenever I use any application (game, metronome on
Vision) which uses SOUND with the speaker. As soon as the speaker is
accessed (except for a simple beep generated by the system) by apps,
the system hangs.

Also, I get a hang when I attempt a restart, but not when I attempt a
shutdown.

Any ideas?

-DK

Problems Using Mac Vision/Mobius/Connectix/System 7.1

Post by Herbert Vot » Tue, 24 May 1994 20:16:13

Quote:>I am a Macintosh SE user, working with Opcode's Vision (2.0.3) and
>System 7.1. I recently installed an accelerator card from Mobius
>Technologies - a 33MHz 030 card with 4 MB on board, giving my Mac a
>total of 8MB. Additionally, I use Connectix Compact Virtual (I have
>the latest version) to manage the memory above 4MB.

>My system has developed some odd habit of crashing quite often. I
>experience crashes whenever I use any application (game, metronome on
>Vision) which uses SOUND with the speaker. As soon as the speaker is
>accessed (except for a simple beep generated by the system) by apps,
>the system hangs.

>Also, I get a hang when I attempt a restart, but not when I attempt a
>shutdown.

>Any ideas?

I have no idea about this but try removing Sound Manager 3.0. It might
have been added to your system folder (in the Extensions folder) when you
updated your system to 7.1.

It is always a good idea to pare down your system to a barely functional
minimum when having problems. Try removing other extensions and control
panels as well.
----------------

Post by Sherry Re » Thu, 26 May 1994 01:18:08

>>My system has developed some odd habit of crashing quite often. I
>>experience crashes whenever I use any application (game, metronome on
>>Vision) which uses SOUND with the speaker. As soon as the speaker is
>>accessed (except for a simple beep generated by the system) by apps,
>>the system hangs.

>I have no idea about this but try removing Sound Manager 3.0. It might
>have been added to your system folder (in the Extensions folder) when you
>updated your system to 7.1.

>It is always a good idea to pare down your system to a barely functional
>minimum when having problems. Try removing other extensions and control
>panels as well.

That is not going to help.  I have the same setup.  Don't treat the SE as
a regular SE.  On another disk or floppy, install a min sys for any mac.
Take just the sys from there and replace your system with it.  This is what
works for me.  I have been running this config for about a week with no
crashes related to sound.

If any one wants the whole story, e-mail me and I'll explain.  I've already
sent it to David.

Sherry