Connecting PC External Modem to Old Apple PowerPC 6500/250

Connecting PC External Modem to Old Apple PowerPC 6500/250

Post by Some Bod » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:44:07

I have an external Mr. Modem (MRi 1456 EVS with Rockwell chipset, I think)
which is doing nothing and an old Apple PowerPC 6500/250 with the awful
internal modem that slows the system down so much.

I have seen cables advertised to connect an Apple Mac 8 pin DIN serial port
to a Hayes compatible modem.

Is it possible to connect this modem to my Mac, what will I need to get to
do it and what wil I have to do on the Mac to get it working (is it a simple
case of setting the modem to be on the printer port?)

Any answers appreciated.

Ian

Connecting PC External Modem to Old Apple PowerPC 6500/250

Post by Zaren Anklewee » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:26:32

Quote:> Is it possible to connect this modem to my Mac, what will I need to get to
> do it and what wil I have to do on the Mac to get it working (is it a simple
> case of setting the modem to be on the printer port?)

Basically, a modem is a modem - a "Mac" modem cable will make an external
"Windows" modem work fine on a Mac.  Plug it into the modem port or the
printer port - the modem won't care.

--
  "It's the information age --    +------------------------------------+
   everything gets saved          |UCE/UBE not welcome at this address |

1. Need Benchmarks: PowerMac 6500/250 (educational model)

If you have one of the PowerMac 6500/250 that are being sold through
the educational channels, please post benchmarks!  In particular, I am
very interested in seeing the MacBench 4.0 scores for processor, disk,
and hi-end graphics.

Also, if you have been having any problems with your machine, such as
random freezing or having to reinstall system software, please post
your experiences.

Thanks,
John Pane

--
John Pane               Computer Science Department
412/268-1449            Carnegie Mellon University

2. ARC files

3. WTB: IOMEGA USB External 250 Zip Drive, WITH external power supply & burner

4. Duplicating templates again??!!

5. Connecting a 6500 and a NEC Pentium "cheap"??

6. MS C 7.0 _clearscreen()

7. connect to DSL ethernet modem,thru an external 56k modem?

8. Tandy 200 - Please Help

9. 6500 internal modem upgrading??

10. Powermac 6500 Modem Problems

11. FS: Apple Logo Quantum 250 MB HD $35

12. HTTP://ROMULATIONS.8M.COM - OVER 250 ROMS, NO BROKEN LINKS!

13. WANTED: Original Powerbook G3 @250 (1st gen.) "Kanga" LOGIC BOARD