Can XServe run a huge site?

Post by N. R. Yerbiznut » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 02:26:54

   I have an idea for building a website which will match customers to a
wide selection of a certain kind of product (can't say what it is).
There are sites that already do this, but they are very poorly designed
and hard to use. I think if I could "build a better mousetrap" and
advertise it well, I could potentially get a huge amount traffic at my
site.
   I don't think I could become another Ebay, but my question is: could
XServe servers run a site the size of Ebay, or a quarter of that size? I
read somewhere that they are only 32bit machines. Would I need 64bit
machines, and which machines using what OS would be the best to get?
   P.S. Even if my servers aren't Macs, everything else will be. Thanks
for your help.

1. Free Xserve Seminar in NYC.

UNIX-Based Server Solutions for IT Professionals

FREE seminar created as a joint venture between Apple and CompUSA
designed specifically for our corporate customers.  You will find
information regarding the seminar in the attached document detailing
what you will learn about Apple's UNIX-based Xserve and Xserve RAID.

You're invited to a free seminar to see Xserve, Apple's 1U
rackmountable server, and Mac OSX Server 10.2 in action. You'll
discover why this industrial strength solution is ideal for your
business, and how Macintosh ease of use simplifies network
administration and reduces support costs. You'll also learn about
Xserve RAID, Apple's high-performance, cost-effective storage solution
Xserve with Mac OS X Server integrates seamlessly into your current
network infrastructure, so you don't have to replace the technology
you've already invested in. Mac OS X Server is built on open
standards, supports standard networking protocols, and accommodates
Windows, UNIX, and Macintosh clients.
Xserve RAID delivers a high-performance, high-availability,
cost-effective storage solution to manage and protect your digital
assets with up to 2.52TB of storage in each 3U enclosure. And Xserve
RAID?s performance is equally impressive. It features an advanced
architecture with 14 independent ATA/100 channels; dual independent
RAID controllers for simultaneous storage processing; and dual 2Gb
Fibre Channel interfaces for reliable data throughput up to 400MB/s
What You Will Learn :
----------------------------
- How Apple's innovative technology and hardware design deliver the
processing power of dual 1GHz PowerPC G4 processors and up to 480
gigabytes of internal storage in a slim 1U enclosure
- How integrated tools like Server Monitor and Workgroup Manager
deliver remote monitoring and flexible administration options that
decrease server administration time
- How an Xserve running Apple's Open Directory using LDAP, can reduce
support costs through centralized administration of desktop systems
- How Mac OS X Server delivers the following services:
- File sharing (AFP, SMB, NFS, FTP)
- Printer sharing
- Web (Apache, Tomcat, WebDAV)
- Streaming (QuickTime)
- Directory-based management (LDAPv3)
- Mail (IMAP, POP, Webmail)

Sponsors:
Apple Business
CompUSA - Apple Store with In a Store

In Order to Attend:
1. Intended for IT Professional.

interest.  I will respond and register you for the event.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the seminar.  I
hope that you will attend and I look forward to hearing feedback on
this great opportunity.

Thanks,

Sterling M. Cleveland
Corporate Account Manager
CompUSA Corporate
420 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10018
P: (212) 782-7725
F: (212) 782-7792

W: www.compusa.com
W: www.compusabusiness.com

2. Compact Flash (CF) in Visor and TrgPro

3. Would XSERVE be ok on a desk, and not in a rack?

4. App won't even start

5. xserve question

6. Upgrade RC2 AS to Production code

7. Twenty comments on the Xserve