ibook sleep issues

Post by lj » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:13:57

I have a g3/800 ibook running 10.2.6 which suddenly started having
issues with sleep and resume a few days ago.  Now when I close the lid
the backlight will either stay on or go off for a few seconds adn come
back on again, at which point it will then go to sleep after about
10sec or just stay on.  If it does sleep, it won't wake when I open it
and I have to press the power button.  It also seems to wake on its
own sometimes such as when it is in its case, making it quite hot in
addition to running down the batt.  I reset the power management unit
per the instructions on the apple web site.  has anyone else
experienced this or have any suggestions?  thanks.

ibook sleep issues

Post by Barry Twycros » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:56:33

> has anyone else
> experienced this or have any suggestions?

I have the same problems with a 700NHz iBook, I have no suggestions
apart from making a bug report to Apple. Yours should still be under
its first year warranty, so you could even bug AppleCare about it.

AppleCare calls cost Apple money so it gets their attention.

--
Barry

                           ------
             (I should put something down here).

ibook sleep issues

Post by John Swart » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:15:12

Don't know if this will help, but I've heard a fair amount of discussion
about repairing disk permissions after installing some of the latest
upgrades.  You might give that a try.

John

Post by Tim Josep » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:02:06

> I have a g3/800 ibook running 10.2.6 which suddenly started having
> issues with sleep and resume a few days ago.  Now when I close the lid
> the backlight will either stay on or go off for a few seconds adn come
> back on again, at which point it will then go to sleep after about
> 10sec or just stay on.  If it does sleep, it won't wake when I open it
> and I have to press the power button.  It also seems to wake on its
> own sometimes such as when it is in its case, making it quite hot in
> addition to running down the batt.  I reset the power management unit
> per the instructions on the apple web site.  has anyone else
> experienced this or have any suggestions?  thanks.

This may have something to do with a dodgy reed switch. Several
iBookers (incl. me) have had problems with resuming from sleep.

Is it just the backlight that's playing up? ie. can you still see your
desktop (very faintly) if you shine a light behind your screen?

The only solution I found was to return the iBook to Apple for their
repair (under warranty). You might want to try any other suggestions
people have first.

Good luck.

Tim

--
To email me, please remove the ".spam"

ibook sleep issues

Post by lj » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:08:00

> This may have something to do with a dodgy reed switch. Several
> iBookers (incl. me) have had problems with resuming from sleep.

i tend to doubt it because when i close the lid most of the time the
back light goes out at first before coming back on

Quote:

> Is it just the backlight that's playing up? ie. can you still see your
> desktop (very faintly) if you shine a light behind your screen?

 its not the back light because when i open the lid, the pulsing light
stays on until i wake it with the power switch

Quote:

> The only solution I found was to return the iBook to Apple for their
> repair (under warranty). You might want to try any other suggestions
> people have first.

I have tried resetting the PMU, pram/nvram, disk permissions.  I
called apple and was told by a rude tech that because i was out of the
3month period, i would have to take it to a store.  She refused to
even discuss the issue beyond that.  I know that cant be right.  I
just got it back from apple 3 weeks ago when the replaced the main
logic board.  my understanding was that the 3 month period does not
apply to actual hardware problems but to "how do i do this" kind of
questions.  Am I wrong about this.  I thought I'd confirm before i
called them back.  Thanks

LJJ

Quote:> Good luck.

> Tim

1. Problem - CD tray won't open with f12 after iBook sleeps

I have a weird problem.

I usually leave my G3 iBook (running Jaguar) on all the time and just
put it to sleep when not in use.  After a few days of normal activity,
the CD eject button won't respond.  I hit f12, and nothing happens.  The
only way I can get the tray to open is to restart the iBook.  I can't
make the behavior repeat right away, it is usually a couple days before
it happens.

It might be some application I loaded or updated recently, or the recent
Jaguar update (i don't remember having it happen before then)...  and
I've had the iBook up without restart for over 20 days before.

Anyone else have a similar problem or know of a fix?

al

2. MathGraphics v2.2.1

3. PB: To sleep or not to sleep?

4. USR Total Control to support v.34+? When?

5. ibook to ibook

6. DE500-AA

7. To iBook or not to iBook

8. Direct X help

9. iBook FS: Top condition iBook 600 combo drive, 640M RAM!

10. Scratched ibook finish and an appropriate traveling case for my beloved ibook

11. ibook to ibook

12. Softdisk issues and uptime issues

13. DTUtils: Sleep Init