CD-ROMs will not mount on 7200's after imaging.

CD-ROMs will not mount on 7200's after imaging.

Post by Steve Wamba » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I work in a school with a lab of 7200's.  They needed to be imaged so
I created a master image from one machine and burned the files on a
bootable CD.  I then booted from the CD on th e7200's, initialized the
drive, and copied the imaged software to the volume.  After restarting
the 7200's, everything looked fine except the CD stopped mounting
CD-ROM's.  The funny thing is, when I insert a bootable CD during the
boot  process, the CD will mount after the Finder loads.  Then I can
put any CD in there and it will show up on the desktop.  This is the
only thing that will mount.   If I insert a normal CDROM during the
boot process, no CDROM's mount.

I tried reinitializing the drives and doing clean installations of 8.1
and 8.5.1 and the CD-ROM still refuses to work.  I've zapped the PRAM,
pulled out the battery, tried external CDROM drives, and even
disconnected the CDROM drive and reconnected it after starting up a
few times without it.  The master machine mounts CD's fine.  The only
difference being it wasn't imaged like the rest.

It looks like the drivers is simply not loading although it's in the
Extensions folder.  This would explain why only bootable CD's inserted
during startup will mount because they incorporate the driver data
with the boot code.

I'm not aware of any ways to force the drivers to load.

Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

Steve

-remove the -nospam- to send email.

Post by Hakan Stenho » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>I work in a school with a lab of 7200's.  They needed to be imaged so
>I created a master image from one machine and burned the files on a
>bootable CD.  I then booted from the CD on th e7200's, initialized the
>drive, and copied the imaged software to the volume.

Lets see if I understand what your trying to do:
1. you copy the HD contens of a master machine (one with all software installed)
   onto a CD
2. you format the HD of your target machine (the one to install on)
3. you transfer the files onto the HD

Is this correct ?

  After restarting

Quote:>the 7200's, everything looked fine except the CD stopped mounting
>CD-ROM's.  The funny thing is, when I insert a bootable CD during the
>boot  process, the CD will mount after the Finder loads.  Then I can
>put any CD in there and it will show up on the desktop.  This is the
>only thing that will mount.   If I insert a normal CDROM during the
>boot process, no CDROM's mount.

Perhaps the CD extension is loaded into memory from the bootable CD ?

Quote:

>Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried to install the system software (MacOs) separatly and then add
only software (and saved program specific extensions) onto the disk.
You could allso try trashing the preferences some of them might be wrong on the
specific machine due to hardware differences (even if they are all 7200's) on the
mother board, type of HD and so on.

H?kan Stenholm

>Steve

>-remove the -nospam- to send email.

CD-ROMs will not mount on 7200's after imaging.

Post by Steve Wamba » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>>I work in a school with a lab of 7200's.  They needed to be imaged so
>>I created a master image from one machine and burned the files on a
>>bootable CD.  I then booted from the CD on th e7200's, initialized the
>>drive, and copied the imaged software to the volume.

>Lets see if I understand what your trying to do:
>1. you copy the HD contens of a master machine (one with all software installed)
>   onto a CD
>2. you format the HD of your target machine (the one to install on)
>3. you transfer the files onto the HD

>Is this correct ?

Yes, it is correct.

>  After restarting
>>the 7200's, everything looked fine except the CD stopped mounting
>>CD-ROM's.  The funny thing is, when I insert a bootable CD during the
>>boot  process, the CD will mount after the Finder loads.  Then I can
>>put any CD in there and it will show up on the desktop.  This is the
>>only thing that will mount.   If I insert a normal CDROM during the
>>boot process, no CDROM's mount.

>Perhaps the CD extension is loaded into memory from the bootable CD ?

Yes.  When the bootable CD is inserted during startup, I believe that
the driver is loaded from it.

Quote:

>>Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

>Have you tried to install the system software (MacOs) separatly and then add
>only software (and saved program specific extensions) onto the disk.
>You could allso try trashing the preferences some of them might be wrong on the
>specific machine due to hardware differences (even if they are all 7200's) on the
>mother board, type of HD and so on.

Yes, I've tried this.  I've completely wiped out the drive and did a
clean install of 8.5.1.  The CD-ROM did not work then either.

Thanks for replying.

Steve

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I work in a school with a lab of 7200's.  They needed to be imaged so
> I created a master image from one machine and burned the files on a
> bootable CD.  I then booted from the CD on th e7200's, initialized the
> drive, and copied the imaged software to the volume.  After restarting
> the 7200's, everything looked fine except the CD stopped mounting
> CD-ROM's.  The funny thing is, when I insert a bootable CD during the
> boot  process, the CD will mount after the Finder loads.  Then I can
> put any CD in there and it will show up on the desktop.  This is the
> only thing that will mount.   If I insert a normal CDROM during the
> boot process, no CDROM's mount.

Sounds like you forgot to include the driver for the CD drive in your
master image.  There should be a copy of Apple CD-ROM in the extensions
folder.  Also, you should make sure it is new enough to support ALL of
the drives in the various machines.  Some machines might have 8x drivers
which will work with an older driver than will a 12x drive.

--
----------------------------------

Graduate Research Assistant       IU Dept. of Physics

1. cd-rom sound out on 7200/90???

hi,

i have a 7200/90 with the internal cd-rom player. I want to play audio
cd's through a set of speakers which have an 1/8" input jack (which can
be plugged into the speaker out port on the back of the mac)

However, when i check Playthrough from the internal cd in the sound
control panel, the audio comes out the mac speaker, not the external
speakers.

does anyone know how to hook this up? thanks

2. HP-UX 9.0x server pseudo driver skeleton wanted

3. freebie CD-ROM won't mount

4. Z3fastLane

5. How do I mount a HD in my 7200

6. PPP connection to Win95 with HotSynch Cable

7. CD-ROM player won't read Data CD's

8. Strange bug when using percent buttons...

9. To 7200/75 or 7200/90??

10. PC mode not accessable on a powermac 7200/120

11. FS: PowerMac 7200/75/32M/500/CD more $650

12. .EDU 7100 700/CD vs. 7200 series, Is Apple shafting us?

13. 'Dirty' ROMs - A Partial Answer <-- NOT GOOD ENOUGH!