Help wanted with printing envelopes on a LaserWriter

Help wanted with printing envelopes on a LaserWriter

Post by Greg We » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 09:21:00

I have a user who wants to print large quantities of envelopes on a
LaserWriter.  All attempts to date have failed because of innummerable paper
jams at the paper intake stage (in fact they are not real jams as the
envelope doesnt enter the printer).

The technician cant find anything wrong and the printer works fine for normal
A4 printing.  The staff at Apple say they use the LaserWriter for envelopes
all the time -- no problem -- so why the jams.  At my suggestion, the user
bought better quality envelopes, but there was no perceptable improvement
in printer performance.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong?

Greg Webb

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
UUCP     : {mcvax,uunet,ubc-cs,ukc}!munnari!utscsd.oz.au!gregw

AppleLink: AUST0231                              BROADWAY  NSW  2007  Australia
Telex    : AA-75004 (NSWIT)    Fax: +61-2-281-2498    Telephone: +61-2-218-9580
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Help wanted with printing envelopes on a LaserWriter

Post by Ronald A. Thist » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 16:49:00

 [ description of paper-jam problems trying to feed envelopes through
   a laserwriter.]

I have a pair of LWIINTs that both jam frequently when I feed envelopes
through.  The solution I have found that, for me, is 100% reliable is
this:  Take the envelope, lay it flat on the desk face up, and then use
the side of a smooth-barrelled pen to flatten the
front edge and adjacent corners that will be fed into the feeder.  The
picture below shows the area I flatten in heavier "ink".

        -----------------=====+
                              #
                              #      -----> direction of feed
                              #
                              #
        -----------------=====+

I have never had an accordion envelope after having done this; otherwise
my success rate is about 10%.  For doing large number of envelopes this
is not a problem for me, since I can flatten and feed faster than the LW
can print.

Ron Thisted
Department of Statistics/The University of Chicago

Help wanted with printing envelopes on a LaserWriter

Post by Brian Die » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 21:52:00

Quote:>I have a user who wants to print large quantities of envelopes on a
>LaserWriter.  All attempts to date have failed because of innummerable paper
>jams at the paper intake stage (in fact they are not real jams as the
>envelope doesnt enter the printer).

I have found that it requires a slight push on the envelope to get it to
begin feeding. Since the LW makes some clicks before single-sheet feeding,
you have some warning before you need to begin pushing. A very gentle push
is all that is required, but it seems to need that extra tension to begin
feeding. Apply the tension in the direction the envelope will travel.

Amusing anecdote time. It's related, but not necessary to solve your problem.
I purchased my LW+ used. It worked fine, but when I started to run envelopes
through it it would jam repeatedly. Frustrating. Finally, a couple of days
later I happened to pull down the access door to the sheet feed mechanism,
which is just below the manual feed tray. Jammed inside was a sheet of VERY
heavy paper, lining the outside of the curved paper path! It fed OK, amazingly
enough, but it was a leftover jam when the previous owner tried to auto-feed
too-heavy stock. Clearing out this cardboard sheet not only made auto sheet
feeding quieter (!), but it solved the envelope jamming problem too.

But I still have to put tension on the envelope to get it to feed. :-(

--
-Brian Diehm

P.O. Box 500, M/S 39-383
Beaverton, OR   97077                        (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)

Post by Michael Thomas Nieha » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 16:34:00

> Amusing anecdote time. It's related, but not necessary to solve your problem.

This is not related, but amazes me none the least.

One of the labs on campus purchased a new LaserWriter IINTX.  As is normal,
this machine came with the standard styrofoam, plastic, and tape strips on
the inside of the printer which are supposed to be removed before the
printer is used.  Well, these people must have missed that part of the
instructions.

But they did install the toner cartridge.  I don't know how they didn't see
the other stuff on the inside of the printer at the same time.

So the next day I received a call from these people complaining about their
new printer.  "We must have gotten a bad one."  They said that it first
would print with brown streaks down each page, and then after 10 or 15 pages,
it wouldn't print at all.

I went over to check it out.  I discovered the the brown streaks were from
the tape/plastic/styrofoam in the printer: it was smoldering.  After letting
it cool down, I gave the insides a very complete cleaning.  We then tried to
print again.  No more brown streaks, but still nothing on the page.  So I
checked the toner cartridge.  They hadn't pulled the plastic strip out of it.
Now I am beginning to think that they didn't read any instructions.

They lucked out: they averted a major catastrophy.  After a few more hours,
the laser printer probably would have started on fire which probably would
have trashed it (and I don't think Apple's 90-day warranty would cover
something like that; maybe you should hope that you bought it with the
American Express card).  But that wouldn't have been the worst of it.  Whoever
designed the room never intended for it to be used for a computer lab:
it had water sprinklers in it (you know: to put out fires).  All $200,000
worth of equipment would have been heavily damaged.  And they would have
blamed Apple for it all...

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas

Help wanted with printing envelopes on a LaserWriter

Post by Fred Holland » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 14:51:00

Quote:>I went over to check it out.  I discovered the the brown streaks were from
>the tape/plastic/styrofoam in the printer: it was smoldering.  After letting

Are you referring to the brown spacers between the (fixer?) rollers?
I could see someone unfamiliar with LaserWriters being a little
confused.  It says something like, "remove the orange tabs".  Well,
the orange tabs are tape on the brown spacers.  It doesn't say to
remove the brown spacers!  Just a minor point on user friendliness :)

-Fred

| Fred Hollander                 |                                           |
| Computer Science Center        |     "Ha ha ha ha ha ha, Ah what a day!"   |
| Texas Instruments, Inc.        |             -- Joker                      |

| Telnet:      214/995-0696      |  The above statements are my own and not  |
| AppleLink:   D1392             |  representative of Texas Instruments.     |

1. Problem printing envelopes-help!

I just bought a Personal Laser Writer NTR. I am having difficulty
printing envelopes. When an envelope goes through the printer the glue
fixes to the paper and seals the envelope. I have been trying to pry the
envelope open immediately after printing. However, this only works some
of the time. I have tried different types of envelopes and had the same
result. Do other people experience this same difficulty? Any suggestions
would be welcome.

Thank you in advance

Burton Levine

2. Mitsumi and PAS 16 sound problems

3. Printing Envelopes

4. Diffrent size-limits for users

5. Envelope printing on IWII or LW?

6. BUG FIX: Gateway2000 incompatability fix for model 4DX2-66V

7. What's the 'best' C compiler for PC games?

8. Envelopes for Apple Personal LaserWriter NT

9. Printing envelopes on SW1 using SW2 driver

10. LaserWriter PRO Envelope feeder doesn't work

11. Envelope printing DA that works with HP DeskWriter

12. How to print to normal envelopes using a Laserprinter