Security Problem, odd

Post by LANkrypt » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:54:27

Having a problem with a Mac running OS 9.  I try to gain access to a
secure server (wwws) and get an error that reads:
"Unable to establish a secure connection with wwws.website.com.  There is
a problem with the security certificate from wwws.website.com."

I have tried it in both Internet Explorer and Netscape.  I can get to the
site with no problem from a Windows machine.

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

+=======+=+=======>
LANkrypt0 - aa#2118
"The fall of the mightiest of kingdoms,
will stem from small cracks in its walls."
postcount=$(($postcount+1))
http://tinyurl.com/ff8m
==========================+==============>

Security Problem, odd

Post by LANkrypt » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 04:19:23

Koncept vandalized the comp.sys.macintosh bathroom wall with:

K> > Having a problem with a Mac running OS 9.  I try to gain access to a
K> > secure server (wwws) and get an error that reads:
K> > "Unable to establish a secure connection with wwws.website.com.  There is
K> > a problem with the security certificate from wwws.website.com."
K> >
K> > I have tried it in both Internet Explorer and Netscape.  I can get to the
K> > site with no problem from a Windows machine.
K> >
K> > Any thoughts?  Suggestions?
K> >
K> > Thank you in advance.
K> >
K> >
K> >
K> > +=======+=+=======>
K> > LANkrypt0 - aa#2118
K> > "The fall of the mightiest of kingdoms,
K> > will stem from small cracks in its walls."
K> > postcount=$(($postcount+1))
K> > http://tinyurl.com/ff8m
K> > ==========================+==============>
K> >
K>
K> email the site and tell them that they are having trouble with their
K> security certificate. The problem is not likely on your end.

That was what I thought.  But wouldnt that also reject users using a
Windows machine?

+=======+=+=======>
LANkrypt0 - aa#2118
"The fall of the mightiest of kingdoms,
will stem from small cracks in its walls."
postcount=$(($postcount+1))
http://tinyurl.com/ff8m
==========================+==============>

Security Problem, odd

Post by LANkrypt » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:23:28

Koncept cleaned the comp.sys.macintosh bathroom wall with:

K> Oops. This was deserved. I didn't read the part in the message that
K> stated the "no problem with windows" bit. I appoligize for the
K> misinformation and assumed that you were having trouble cross platform
K> for some reason.
K>
K> I am no security guru, but from my basic understanding of the process,
K> when you connect to a secure site, both your browser and the site share
K> security certificate information. This is what maintains the secure
K> connection between you and the site. If it works on WIndows and not on
K> macs, then the problem may very well be on the Mac end.
K>
K> I'm sure somebody else in here may have more info for you on the
K> subject and appoligize again for stearing you in the wrong direction.
K>
K> * Hope that cleans up the wall a bit.
To anyone interested, I figured out what the problem was, and it was so
simple I could smack myself.  There was a power outage and for some odd
reason the only thing it messed up was the date.  The time was the same,
but it was set back about 10 years.  This caused the secuirty certificates
to become invalid.  I fixed the time and everything worked fine from then
on.

Thanks!

+=======+=+=======>
LANkrypt0 - aa#2118
"The fall of the mightiest of kingdoms,
will stem from small cracks in its walls."
postcount=$(($postcount+1))
http://tinyurl.com/ff8m
==========================+==============>

1. security for file sharing via TCP/IP and other Macintosh security issues

Hi all -

    I have a Mac in my office (running OS 9) to which I connect from home by
File Sharing via TCP/IP. Recently another computer in the building was
hacked remotely and a bunch of files were erased. I am now concerned about
mine; is there any sort of software package that can be applied over the
file sharing to give a higher degree of security? And, is there any known
way to access a Mac on the internet if the file sharing is turned off?
    On a related issue, to monitor access to the Mac "in person" (people
using the machine from the console, is there any good software which can act
like a password protected screen saver, except that it 1) has several
possible passwords (so I can assign individual passwords to valid users, and
2) records the password and the date/time it's entered (so I can tell who is
using it when)?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions (please cc: to

Mike

2. Compiler for TI Basic

3. calling John Snow, and an odd modem line problem

4. Pro/Engineer Fonts

5. Odd GS Problem

6. New XML parser generation tool available

7. Odd problem with Sound.Settings and InitMaster

8. Monitor for Amiga

9. Odd problem with an Apple II GS.

10. Odd? video problem

11. Help! Odd problems with Appleshare!

12. Odd SE/30 problems with System 7.1 (or any OS)

13. Problem with Preferences / web browser / Security Zones