Thanks for the "Flyback Advice"

Post by Colleen Wirth » Fri, 12 Jan 1990 07:26:04

Hello--

Many thanks to all who responded to my plea for help!  I bought a
flyback transformer from the company mentioned below.  I'm typing on
my Mac as we speak, and now I can even read what I'm typing.  The
flyback from MCM Electronics is larger then the one that comes with
the Macintosh, but there are 2 pinouts inside the Mac (1 larger and
1 smaller), the replacement part fits the larger pinout.
Additionally, I was warned by several people that the same thing will
probably happen to my Mac in another 4 years.  I only hope the
little guy lasts that long!

Unfortunately, I went to see a NeXT Computer demo last night, and my
little Mac pales in comparison.  Next time I have a spare $20,000.00
laying around maybe I'll pick up a new computer!

Colleen

p.s. I received not a single flame.  Thanks all for the restraint.
--
Here is a typical response I received (in case someone else has a similar
problem):

This is a common problem with macintoshes.  Replacement flybacks are available
from
        MCM Electronics
        650 Congress Park Dr.
        Centerville, OH 45459-4072

        (800)-543-4330

The part is j-33-980.  The price is $33.80.

They also have submini din-8 connectors for $1.65 each.  Part number j-27-647.
I gathered this info from their nov 1989 catalog (#22).
--

Post by Robert Bau » Thu, 18 Jan 1990 02:59:34

> Hello--

> Many thanks to all who responded to my plea for help!  I bought a
> flyback transformer from the company mentioned below.  I'm typing on
> my Mac as we speak, and now I can even read what I'm typing.  The
> flyback from MCM Electronics is larger then the one that comes with
> the Macintosh, but there are 2 pinouts inside the Mac (1 larger and
> 1 smaller), the replacement part fits the larger pinout.
> Additionally, I was warned by several people that the same thing will
> probably happen to my Mac in another 4 years.  I only hope the
> little guy lasts that long!

> Unfortunately, I went to see a NeXT Computer demo last night, and my
> little Mac pales in comparison.  Next time I have a spare $20,000.00
> laying around maybe I'll pick up a new computer!

> Colleen

> p.s. I received not a single flame.  Thanks all for the restraint.
> --
> Here is a typical response I received (in case someone else has a similar
> problem):

> This is a common problem with macintoshes.  Replacement flybacks are available
> from
>    MCM Electronics
>    650 Congress Park Dr.
>    Centerville, OH 45459-4072

>    (800)-543-4330

> The part is j-33-980.  The price is $33.80.

> They also have submini din-8 connectors for $1.65 each.  Part number j-27-647.
> I gathered this info from their nov 1989 catalog (#22).
> --

$33.80 for a flyback is ridiculous!!!

has the new-style Monitron flyback currently used by Apple with built-in
bleeder resistor AND it's the only one I know of that's UL approved for
only $20.  They don't have an 800 number but you can talk a long time
for $13.80.

1. Looking for "Serpentine", "Thief", "Cyborg", and "Oo-Topos"

Hi!

I am looking for .dsk or .do files with the games "Serpentine", "Thief",
"Cyborg", and "Oo-Topos". I was on the most excellent asimov site and they
seemed to be about the only games I could not find. "Serpentine" was a maze
where you chased snakes, "Thief" was a berzerk-type arcade game, and "Cyborg"
and "Oo-Topos" were text adventures by Mike Berlyn.

Thanks in advance!

2. Proxy error (Dr Watson)

3. "dumb terminal" question Thanks for your help!

4. Copy/Paste at timed intervals

5. Servant, Safeware, Thanks, "Expectations" and Mac C compilers

6. IP-Spoofing

7. Thanks: "Sun as a Mac server"

8. winword doesn't find installed fonts

9. "IIe" and "STM" question

10. Looking for a couple of ][ games: "Fix-It", "Alien Encounter"

11. "ZipGS" or "TransWarp" card

12. Joystick buttons: normally "open" vs "closed"?

13. "640k"; "good software" (was: Byte Magazine: 18 Vintage issues, 1985-1986)