Wanted: Lazy functional language for MacIntosh

Wanted: Lazy functional language for MacIntosh

Post by Edgar Kna » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 21:58:00

Is there an implementation of a lazy functional programming language
(e.g. Miranda, Orwell, some LISP dialect?) that runs on the MacIntosh?
Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Edgar Knapp

"Has it ever occurred to you that you might be wrong?"

Wanted: Lazy functional language for MacIntosh

Post by Greg Michaels » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 14:28:00

Quote:> Is there an implementation of a lazy functional programming language
> (e.g. Miranda, Orwell, some LISP dialect?) that runs on the MacIntosh?
> Any pointers greatly appreciated.

There's a Macintosh implementation of Navel, a rather eccentric
applicative order, run-time typed, pure functional language with
lazy lists, but it doesn't have pointers :-). Lazy list arguments
can be used to get the effect of lazy evaluation. The Macintosh
implementation was developed at Griffiths University in Australia,
is experimental and is not supported. More details from me:

Post by Ken Mcdona » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 23:20:00

> > Is there an implementation of a lazy functional programming language
> > (e.g. Miranda, Orwell, some LISP dialect?) that runs on the MacIntosh?
> > Any pointers greatly appreciated.

> There's a Macintosh implementation of Navel, a rather eccentric
> applicative order, run-time typed, pure functional language with
> lazy lists, but it doesn't have pointers :-). Lazy list arguments
> can be used to get the effect of lazy evaluation. The Macintosh
> implementation was developed at Griffiths University in Australia,
> is experimental and is not supported. More details from me:

Orwell has been ported to the Macintosh by somebody at the University
of Glasgow.  I was there recently, and asked about getting a copy.
They didn't seem to think there would be any problem, but unfortunately
the current version will not run on a Mac II, which made it not too
useful to me.

I would be very interested in any such languages for the Mac.  Anyone
out there want to form an informal mailing list on this topic?

Ken McDonald

PS  For the information of anyone interested in functional programming,
Glasgow University is awesome!

1. Wanted: Macintosh DBMS w/ C language interface

Can anyone in netland recommend a Macintosh DBMS that has a
C language interface (i.e., DBMS functions callable from C)? I
am considering purchasing a workstation and am down to choosing
either a Sun 3/50 or a Mac II. I prefer the Macintosh as it has
a broader range of applications but there are commercially-available
DBMS packages with C language interfaces under SunOS (but not
cheap!). Please e-mail responses to me and I'll summarize if I
get enough replies.

Thanks,

Computation Center                      |  baby 'Lizabeth! You don't
The University of Texas at Austin       |  know where it's been!"
Austin, TX 78712                        |               J. Winters

2. Token ring question

3. Wanted: Apple ][ disk drive (functional)

4. How to Determine which View Gets the Update?

5. Macintosh Language Dictionaries

6. test

7. Icon Programming Language for the Macintosh

8. Discussion Groups

9. Express Learning of languages - Language Bridge

10. Assembly Language and Re: More Assembly Language Programming

11. Express Learning of languages - Language Bridge

12. Art and all that Jazz: i am bimonthly lazy, so I believe you

13. "Lazy" processor in PowerBook?