APS Driver Software (Some "bugs")

Post by Robert E Mitche » Fri, 17 Apr 1992 07:32:28

        I while back I saw a post regarding some problems with Alliance
Power Tools driver software.  I answered this post seeing as I have had
problems recently as well.  The thread died abruptly, and I'm still
curious as to who is having problems and to what extent.

        I was having problems with random crashes, and i pretty much
narrowed it down to the driver software.  I wasn't 100% sure until
yesterday, when I tried to set password protection on one of my
partitions
(OOPS) with Power Tools assistant (a control panel adition to Power
Tools) When I restarted the machine, i had my answer.  The machine
crashed and wound up in and endless "loop" at the same point it
had done previously.  Luckily this time it didn't corrupt the system
file as well.  Booting from a floppy allowed me to reset protection
and the machine is now working.  Still, theres something strange going
on with power tools and my mac.Configuration:
IIfx 8/210 (APS)
RasterOps 24si Video Card
System 7.0
TuneUp 7.1.1 (gads!)
A few minor extensions that I have turned off
No Virtual Memory.

BTW, I disabled power tools assistant, and haven't had any problems
for the last day and a half, but I afraid to really try any thing
crazy as far as testing cause i have a lot of stuff due this week.

Anybody have an answer, or at least some thoughts.  Mutual experiences?
Anyone out there at APS have a clue.  I love the product, but this
really sucks.

Thanks,

                                Stump.
PS Post or mail.  It's all billed to the University:^)

APS Driver Software (Some "bugs")

Post by Rich Lo » Fri, 17 Apr 1992 17:06:07

Quote:>    I while back I saw a post regarding some problems with Alliance
>Power Tools driver software.  I answered this post seeing as I have had
>[...]
>Anybody have an answer, or at least some thoughts.  Mutual experiences?
>Anyone out there at APS have a clue.  I love the product, but this
>really sucks.

 It's interesting. I called APS and got the driver update. Get Info in the
 Finder indicates that it is 2.4.2/2.0fc12.
                                      ^^

 To me, "fc" indicates "final candidate," that is, it's getting ready,
 but it's not done yet. The last time I used this software to format a disk,
 that disk would no longer mount under System 6! The best that my various SCSI
 twiddlers could come up with was that "the Finder does not have enough memory
 to work with this disk."

 I'm not sure what's going on here, but I'm still using 1.13 of Power Tools.

                          -or-  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long

Post by tc.. » Sat, 18 Apr 1992 00:19:37

>>        I while back I saw a post regarding some problems with Alliance
>>Power Tools driver software.  I answered this post seeing as I have had
>>[...]
>>Anybody have an answer, or at least some thoughts.  Mutual experiences?
>>Anyone out there at APS have a clue.  I love the product, but this
>>really sucks.

>  It's interesting. I called APS and got the driver update. Get Info in the
>  Finder indicates that it is 2.4.2/2.0fc12.
>                                       ^^

>  To me, "fc" indicates "final candidate," that is, it's getting ready,
>  but it's not done yet. The last time I used this software to format a disk,
>  that disk would no longer mount under System 6! The best that my various SCSI
>  twiddlers could come up with was that "the Finder does not have enough memory
>  to work with this disk."

Well, the APT program is now version 2.5 (last I checked). They also have
a newer version of the driver, but it has a 'b' designation (probably beta)
I'm running this on an internal Quantum LPS105 in my IIsi,
System 7.0.1 w/ Tuneup 1.1.1 with no problems.

However, it is important to install the new driver while booted from a
clean system (ie: shift key down/no inits, er, extensions)

I updated my driver once while running under VM, and managed to trash my
drive (this is the original Conner 40MB from the IIsi in an ext. case).
Reinstalling solved the problem, though, and I haven't had any crashes
related to the driver since (non that I can attribute to it, anyway).

I have not used any of the password features of the driver. Didn't feel
like it's worth the trouble if it ever fails.

Quote:

>  I'm not sure what's going on here, but I'm still using 1.13 of Power Tools.

Note that the partition scheme used in 1.13 is not compatible with that
used for ver 2.x. Version 2.x of APT uses the newer partition scheme
introduced with AUX.

Also, although 1.13 works with VM, I'm not sure if it's 32 bit clean.

>                      -or-  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long

Hope this helps,
T.C. Wan
Univ of Miami, FL
#I speak for myself :)

APS Driver Software (Some "bugs")

Post by Richard Charles Grav » Sat, 18 Apr 1992 11:20:09

First, stop calling it APS software. APS, along with several other vendors
like Club Mac, license the same software from Appolyonics. In the Get Info
dialog of APS Power Tools/SCSI Director you'll see two version numbers. The
first is the application version, which is now up to 2.5; the second is the
SCSI driver software, which is up to 2.0fc25 or higher.
We've had no problems with Appolyonics drivers on countless Syatem 7 configs;
I can't speak for System 6 since we haven't used it for a year. It could well
be that the new driver has problems with System 6 due to the different
treatment of the System Heap.
Since our experiences have been good and you haven't been getting too many
Maybe a bad drive or PROM, in which case ship it back to APS; a bad copy of
the driver software
(very likely if you copied it from your pre-formatted hard drive), or a bad
CPU logic board. Try running the full Appolyonics testing suite included with
the formatter.
--
rich graves, stanfd res affairs mac tech, and sometime junior, poli sci

1. Looking for "Serpentine", "Thief", "Cyborg", and "Oo-Topos"

Hi!

I am looking for .dsk or .do files with the games "Serpentine", "Thief",
"Cyborg", and "Oo-Topos". I was on the most excellent asimov site and they
seemed to be about the only games I could not find. "Serpentine" was a maze
where you chased snakes, "Thief" was a berzerk-type arcade game, and "Cyborg"
and "Oo-Topos" were text adventures by Mike Berlyn.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hyperlinks: can't insert them

3. Picture Files ("CLIPART") Software Needed

4. -- needed --

5. OS X CD Burn "bug" or "feature"?

6. Microsoft network&Novell

7. "640k"; "good software" (was: Byte Magazine: 18 Vintage issues, 1985-1986)

8. Help! I'm confused which card will work in my m505!

9. "640k"; "good software" (was: Byte Magazine: 18 Vintage issues, 1985

10. Matt Deatherage message - more info (answers "why here?!")

11. Apple II Reference Manual ("Red Book")

12. TIFF LZW compressed (type "MM") pictures ?

13. Which 16"(17") Monitor Best?