Mac IIcx/IIci - What's the difference???

Mac IIcx/IIci - What's the difference???

Post by The Amazing Jim Stembrid » Mon, 21 Sep 1992 04:32:05

I am thinking of buying a Mac IIcx. What is the difference between
it and a IIci? Is it basically the same machine with a slower 030
chip? What would it take to make a IIcx a IIci? Just a faster chip?
Email your responses please....Thanks!
--

                I don't know nuthin bout anythin.......

Mac IIcx/IIci - What's the difference???

Post by Thomas Aaron Ins » Mon, 21 Sep 1992 05:22:30

Quote:> I am thinking of buying a Mac IIcx. What is the difference between
> it and a IIci? Is it basically the same machine with a slower 030
> chip? What would it take to make a IIcx a IIci? Just a faster chip?
> Email your responses please....Thanks!

The IIci is faster, has builtin video, and a cache slot--I think more
recent IIci's include the cache card.
--

  "Conform and be dull." -- J. Frank Dobie

Post by Nick C De Mel » Mon, 21 Sep 1992 05:57:59

>> I am thinking of buying a Mac IIcx. What is the difference between
>> it and a IIci? Is it basically the same machine with a slower 030
>> chip? What would it take to make a IIcx a IIci? Just a faster chip?
>> Email your responses please....Thanks!

>The IIci is faster, has builtin video, and a cache slot--I think more
>recent IIci's include the cache card.

   The newer ones do, but I thought the cashe card fit into a
nu-bus slot, not a special "cache" slot.  I might be wrong,
could someone confirm/deny this?

--
   _/   _/  _/  _/_/_/   _/   _/
  _/_/ _/  _/  _/   _/  _/_/_/

Mac IIcx/IIci - What's the difference???

Post by Evan Torr » Mon, 21 Sep 1992 06:46:21

Quote:>   The newer ones do, but I thought the cashe card fit into a
>nu-bus slot, not a special "cache" slot.  I might be wrong,
>could someone confirm/deny this?

  There is a special cache card slot in the IIci.  I have a
cache card in mine, and it leaves all 3 NuBus slots free.

Embrace rationalism, reject superstition.           Break away from the past.

Post by Tom Naka » Tue, 22 Sep 1992 09:27:13

> >> I am thinking of buying a Mac IIcx. What is the difference between
> >> it and a IIci? Is it basically the same machine with a slower 030
> >> chip? What would it take to make a IIcx a IIci? Just a faster chip?
> >> Email your responses please....Thanks!

> >The IIci is faster, has builtin video, and a cache slot--I think more
> >recent IIci's include the cache card.

>    The newer ones do, but I thought the cashe card fit into a
> nu-bus slot, not a special "cache" slot.  I might be wrong,
> could someone confirm/deny this?

It does fit into the "cache" slot, NOT Nubus.

1. IIcx/IIci what's the difference?

   From what I know the IIcx is also a 68030 but can't do virtual
   memory since it isn't capable of dealing with the 32 bits.

It _can_ do virtual memory, up to 14MB, but it can't do
32bit memory, and can't use more than 8 MB of RAM.

   The IIcx is also slower than the IIci, right?!?!?

Yes, about half the speed, if the IIci has a cache.

--
This Signature is distributed under the conditions of the Signature License,

implies that you accept to be bound by the terms in said License. Should you
not agree on any of these terms, you must return the Signature unread to me.

2. Serial Visio2002Pro

3. Differences between IIcx and IIci?

4. picture viewers

5. Any IIci <=> IIcx performance difference with 68040 Accelerator?

6. shell features

7. Macintosh IIci serial ports - What's the difference?

8. Device information from NT/2000 machine.

9. Mac IIcx -> Mac IIci ???

10. Will a Mac IIci cache card work in a Mac IIcx?

11. Difference between 'disk II' and 'disk III' floppy!

12. All my Mac IIci/IIcx machines are crashing!