HELP: P-RAM shot - Mac won't boot - HELP

HELP: P-RAM shot - Mac won't boot - HELP

Post by Bruno Fernand » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Ok, this is for a friend's system....

Her system is an LC475

If she powers on her Mac, it will make the startup sound but will then stay on a
black screen forever.  If she turns it off for a while and then tries again, the
same thing happens.  However if she turns it off and then on quickly, it will
start up.  When it starts up, none of her PRAM settings are present (date is
wrong, etc...)  Doing a restart after setting everything up will also cause it
to lose the settings - but it will restart, not freeze up.

Have tried zapping PRAM but the machine just hangs as above.  Please help offer
some suggestions as to what needs to be replaced.  Backup-battery?  Some special
PRAM chip, etc?  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated (the sooner the better as
she's getting into a pretty bad panic)

Bruno

HELP: P-RAM shot - Mac won't boot - HELP

Post by Stan Sanders » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

_Big_ hint #1...

Quote:>Her system is an LC475
>If she powers on her Mac, it will make the startup sound but will then
stay on a
>black screen forever.

  Doing a restart after setting everything up will also cause it

Quote:>to lose the settings - but it will restart, not freeze up.

Battery, battery, battery! Can't be said often enough. Next problem is to
find one!

(Your friendly Apple dealer should be able to supply it for approx. $10 )

--
Stan Sanderson

 Wiltu den kernen haben, so moostu die schallen brechen.
...for if you want the kernel, you must break the shell.
                           -Meister Eckhart (1260-1328)

(Home page URL: <http://isbe.state.il.us/~ssanders>)

Post by Jon Guy » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Battery, battery, battery! Can't be said often enough. Next problem is to
> find one!

> (Your friendly Apple dealer should be able to supply it for approx. $10 )

And install it for $50...

Jonathan E. Guyer
Dept. of Materials Science                         Zairyoo Kagakka
Northwestern University                        Noosuesutan Daigaku

Post by Alan Paters » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Ok, this is for a friend's system....

> Her system is an LC475

Sounds olike it needs a replacement for the lithium battery that keeps
things like the PRAM going when the machine is off (so the clock keeps
time etc). Get an Apple dealer to install it.

Post by Steven H Casma » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Ok, this is for a friend's system....

> Her system is an LC475

> If she powers on her Mac, it will make the startup sound but will then stay on a
> black screen forever.  If she turns it off for a while and then tries again, the
> same thing happens.  However if she turns it off and then on quickly, it will
> start up.  When it starts up, none of her PRAM settings are present (date is
> wrong, etc...)  Doing a restart after setting everything up will also cause it
> to lose the settings - but it will restart, not freeze up.

> Have tried zapping PRAM but the machine just hangs as above.  Please help offer
> some suggestions as to what needs to be replaced.  Backup-battery?  Some special
> PRAM chip, etc?  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated (the sooner the better as
> she's getting into a pretty bad panic)

> Bruno

Sounds like she's in need of a new battery.
--
- Steve Casman

Post by Morgan Ry » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>> Her system is an LC475
>Sounds olike it needs a replacement for the lithium battery that keeps
>things like the PRAM going when the machine is off (so the clock keeps

Any chance this system had a clock chip in there? I'm not certain, but I
don't think a seriously zapped (Techtool) pram likes the wrong speed. I
got the car crash startup after zapping, but everything settled down
after I pulled off the clock chip (6100/60). Morgan

HELP: P-RAM shot - Mac won't boot - HELP

Post by David Nels » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> > Ok, this is for a friend's system....

> > Her system is an LC475
> Sounds olike it needs a replacement for the lithium battery that keeps
> things like the PRAM going when the machine is off (so the clock keeps
> time etc). Get an Apple dealer to install it.

I second the battery suggestion. My Performa 475 just died the _exact_
same way. Opening the 475 and replacing the battery is so easy. It
only takes a couple of minutes, and that is mostly spent on lifting
the monitor off the cpu box.

There are two tabs on the back of the case, pull these up and the top
of the case will open up and will come completely off. The battery is
in a little holder with a partial cover. The cover snaps in place, so
you will need to use a small screwdriver or knife to pull the clips
free at the ends.

I bought a replacement battery at a local electronics store for $8.
Popped the new battery into place (double checked that the + end is at
the end marked with the +) and snapped the battery holder back into
place. Put the case back together the opposite of the way it opened,
and plug everything back into place. When it rebooted, it complained
about the time not being set right, but that was easy to fix. It had
also silently turned off 32-bit addressing.

I only wish it would have given me more clues as to the problem, a
black screen is rather scary. I was contemplating the cost for a new
monitor, or worse, a new computer. I wonder how many people are told,
or decide on their own that they need a whole new system because
their's is "dead".

--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>     http://www.kai.com/
David Nelson                    Kuck and Associates

(217) 356-2288                  Champaign, IL   61820

HELP: P-RAM shot - Mac won't boot - HELP

Post by Robert Blacksh » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>I only wish it would have given me more clues as to the problem, a
>black screen is rather scary. I was contemplating the cost for a new
>monitor, or worse, a new computer. I wonder how many people are told,
>or decide on their own that they need a whole new system because
>their's is "dead".

This sort of thing is what makes Larry Pina's Dead Mac Scrolls book
worth every dime it costs. Even if it does not cover some of the newer
hardware, you can always extrapolate and use a litlle logic.

Bob

Opinions expressed are those of the author and are copyrighted
RB & Associates - Consultants in Multimedia Teleconferencing

Post by Charles Philli » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: Ok, this is for a friend's system....

: Her system is an LC475

: If she powers on her Mac, it will make the startup sound but will then stay on a
: black screen forever.  If she turns it off for a while and then tries again, the
: same thing happens.  However if she turns it off and then on quickly, it will
: start up.  When it starts up, none of her PRAM settings are present (date is
: wrong, etc...)  Doing a restart after setting everything up will also cause it
: to lose the settings - but it will restart, not freeze up.

Symptoms of the dead motherboard battery problem. All Macs of that
vintage are having the same problems.

: Have tried zapping PRAM but the machine just hangs as above.  Please help offer
: some suggestions as to what needs to be replaced.  Backup-battery?  Some special
: PRAM chip, etc?  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated (the sooner the better as
: she's getting into a pretty bad panic)

Look at the URL is my .sig for directions on how to replace the battery.
It is very simple in an LC 475.

: Bruno

And to answer another posted note - the clock chip would have nothing to
do with losing monitor depth, date, etc. I have chipped two Q 605 type
computers and nothing like that happened. When I got a bad resistor, it
just wouldn't boot.

--
Charles D Phillips

Check my recycling Web page at:
www.academ.com/houston/recycling

Check my motherboard battery Web page at:
www.academ.com/info/macintosh

"I Don't Do Windows, I Have A Macintosh"

Post by Bruno Fernand » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>> (Your friendly Apple dealer should be able to supply it for approx. $10 )

>And install it for $50...

I didn't want to even rely on the Apple dealer for the battery - these are the
same guys who'll try and tell you that the SIMMs you want are "special Mac
SIMMs" that cost 2 or 3 times more than you know any SIMMs sell for.  But
unfortunately we were in a hurry and Radio Shack would have taken 4 or 5 days.
So coughed up $20 Canadian for the battery.  I was quite certain it would be the
battery when I posted the original article.  Come morning when I had 10 or so
replies I was dead-certain. :)  Then I confirmed it myself by popping her case
and removing the old battery.  I had never openned up an LC475, but that little
Mac is as simple as a picture book.  Don't think i'd need a manual or any type
of instruction to find my way to anything and upgrade anything inside that tiny
space.  Anyway, the new battery did the trick and she's up and running again.

Thanks to all that replied and so quickly.

Bruno

HELP: P-RAM shot - Mac won't boot - HELP

Post by Administrato » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

If you haven't already be told, the LC475 can suffer from all types
of 'dead' boot problems when the system battery is shot. Pick one up
somewhere for about $10 and put it on the motherboard to see if
it'll fix it. You're gonna need that battery sometime in the future
anyway.

I believe the specs on the battery are: 3.6 volt Lithium

Pull your current battery and try Radio Shack or a well-stocked
computer store. If not a soul has one, start going for mailorder.

1. Help-Help IIGS won't boot.

:        A friend of mine have a IIgs Problem.
:        His II gs is not booting any more. He only get the screen:

:                1- enter control panel
:                2- xxxxxxx 60hz
:                3- xxxxxxx 50 Hz
:                4- continue booting.

:        1 he enter in the control panel
:        4 get back to this menu

:        The system test is good !.

:        Any help would be appreciate.

:                -Erik.

Erik,
This is the menu that you see if you hold down the option key when you first
start your computer.  If your friend has a joystick, disconnect it.  This
may sound wierd, but the option and command (used to be open and closed
Apples) keys are actualy the same as the two buttons on a joystick.  I.e.
if the joystick is broken, the system might think that the option key is
being pressed.

If this doesn't work, try a different keyboard.

M.P.

--
"Apple][ FOREVER -mac NEVER"

2. Enhancement ideas - give your feed back

3. Help - new Power Mac won't boot

4. Domain Controller Audit turned on - all machines get that enabled ?

5. HELP: IIc+ won't boot

6. PCMCIA adapter for E1/T1

7. HELP! Disk device driver won't boot.

8. Vulcan ][e won't boot. Help!

9. Help! My GS won't boot!

10. Help! ][e won't boot!

11. Help - Powerbook G3 won't boot from CD

12. Help:SE bell rings, won't ask for boot disk