Mac LC and the OIDS game

Post by mike.goodri » Wed, 26 Jun 1991 22:34:11

I just recently purchased the game OIDS by FTL and I noticed something rather
strange when I tried to run this program on my Mac LC.  The program will load
and execute fine up until the point I try to play the game.

The ship functions fine all the keys do what they are supposed to but I
can't destroy ANYTHING.  I can float around and shoot hundreds of shots at
a single target and the photon pellets just pass right through the target
that I am shooting at.  Also I can't refuel or connect with the mother ship.

I was wondering has anyone else experience this problem or is it just the
copy of the game that I got?

Another piece of info when I ran this program on my Mac Plus everything works
the way it is supposed to, but the game doesn't look nearly as good on a 9"
black and white screen as it does on the 12" color.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

                        Thanks
                        Mike

Mac LC and the OIDS game

Post by Greg Penetran » Fri, 28 Jun 1991 16:18:32

>I just recently purchased the game OIDS by FTL and I noticed something rather
>strange when I tried to run this program on my Mac LC.  The program will load
>and execute fine up until the point I try to play the game.

>The ship functions fine all the keys do what they are supposed to but I
>can't destroy ANYTHING.  I can float around and shoot hundreds of shots at
>a single target and the photon pellets just pass right through the target
>that I am shooting at.  Also I can't refuel or connect with the mother ship.

>Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

>                    Thanks
>                    Mike

Mike,
  It's that DAMNED copy protection! There are some pointers in the program that
cripple it when the copy protection fails to register;  this will happen on
some macs.  Unfortunately it happened on yours. I suggest you mail it back to
FTL along with a letter-bomb and tell them that copy protection sucks.

 p.s. I know there is a patch available that will disable the CP of this game.
 is it legal to post it on Internet?  (I guess not)

Mac LC and the OIDS game

Post by gay.. » Fri, 28 Jun 1991 22:28:20

> [re: Oids copy protection]
> p.s. I know there is a patch available that will disable the CP of this game.
> is it legal to post it on Internet?  (I guess not)

Technically, no, it wouldn't be illegal.

However, thousands of self-appointed net.thought.police would probably descend
upon you, send you * email, tell your sysadmin that you are promoting
software piracy, and start yet-another-flame-war.

Don't you just love the Internet?  ;-)

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University

Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Shoot him now!  Shoot him now!" - Daffy Duck, "Rabbit Seasonings"

Mac LC and the OIDS game

Post by Steve Baumgart » Sat, 29 Jun 1991 01:54:36

   > [re: Oids copy protection] p.s. I know there is a patch available
   > that will disable the CP of this game.  is it legal to post it on
   > Internet?  (I guess not)

   Technically, no, it wouldn't be illegal.

   However, thousands of self-appointed net.thought.police would
   probably descend upon you, send you * email, tell your sysadmin
   that you are promoting software piracy, and start
   yet-another-flame-war.

It would be nicer if you (the original poster) paid for the game,
since registered users get a key code to enter that removes the copy
protection.  At least, that's how I removed the copy protection from
my copy: after purchasing it, I sent in the registration card, and two
weeks later FTL sent me the key code.  End of copy protection.

If you like the game enough to waste all this time trying to get
around its copy protection, why not spend the $30 and buy it?  If you
had written and published a game as wonderful as OIDS, wouldn't you
want people to buy it from you, rather than selfishly (and illegally)
copying it -- and then whining about its copy protection?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

   cmcl2!esquire!baumgart       |                           - David Letterman

1. "OIDS" game availability?

About a month ago I found a demo version of OIDS (from Software Heaven) on
the net, and this turned out to be the *BEST* arcade-style game I've seen on
the Mac II!!

Now, here I am ready to shell out my $$s, and I can't find any further
information about it.

Does anyone have additional information, or perhaps the phone number of the
author/publisher?

Jeff Harrow

Work address:

Usenet:         decwrl!bagels.dec.com!harrow        or
                {allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-bagels!harrow
Easynet:        BAGELS::HARROW
Telephone:      (508)486-5564
USPS:           Digital Equipment Corp.
                Mail stop: LKG2-A/W2
                550 King St.
                Littleton, MA  01460

2. :SGML/XML Systems Engineer

3. OIDS for the Mac

4. Pine 4.21 bug - Filter

5. Advice for Apple GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES

6. REQ: Parisine

7. LC, LC II, LC/30

8. Form Javascript error - "fixed!"

9. Apple IIe Mac LC Card + Apple 5.25 Disk Drive for LC-Series Macintosh

10. Mac LC/Asante MacCON+ LC

11. OIDS

12. OIDS...Anyone seen the REAL version?