How to connect new iMac and old HP Laser Jet 4M

How to connect new iMac and old HP Laser Jet 4M

Post by Marat Zabelinski » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:27:57

Hi all

I am looking to connect a 15in LCD iMac with a HP LaserJet 4M printer.  I
have a PC connected to the parallel port, then there are DB9 serial and
AppleTalk (MiniDin 8) ports.  The iMac itself is connected to a network via
Etherhet port.  I was wondering if there are adapters/converters that will
allow me to cnnect iMac's USB or FireWire port to HP's AppleTalk.

Any suggestions?  Also, if this is the wrong newsgroup to post such a
question, would someone suggest the more appropriate one?  Thanks again.

Marat

Post by Neill Massel » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:10:18

> Hi all

> I am looking to connect a 15in LCD iMac with a HP LaserJet 4M printer.  I
> have a PC connected to the parallel port, then there are DB9 serial and
> AppleTalk (MiniDin 8) ports.  The iMac itself is connected to a network via
> Etherhet port.  I was wondering if there are adapters/converters that will
> allow me to cnnect iMac's USB or FireWire port to HP's AppleTalk.

Asante <http://www.asante.com/> makes Ethernet to LocalTalk adapters --
much cheaper than replacing your HP JetDirect MIO card.

How to connect new iMac and old HP Laser Jet 4M

Post by Marat Zabelinski » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:07:27

I already pointed out that the iMac's Ethernet connection is used to connect
to a LAN.  Are you suggesting I use a hub to provide additional connection
for Asante's product?

Also, isn't there an adapter without having to use LocalTalk?  Say, USB to
AppleTalk or something similar?  I'd rather not use LocalTalk, this set up
is for printing large graphic files and we need a certain amount of speed.

Thanks,
Marat

Post by Christopher Noy » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:34:10

> Hi all

> I am looking to connect a 15in LCD iMac with a HP LaserJet 4M printer.  I
> have a PC connected to the parallel port, then there are DB9 serial and
> AppleTalk (MiniDin 8) ports.  The iMac itself is connected to a network via
> Etherhet port.  I was wondering if there are adapters/converters that will
> allow me to cnnect iMac's USB or FireWire port to HP's AppleTalk.

> Any suggestions?  Also, if this is the wrong newsgroup to post such a
> question, would someone suggest the more appropriate one?  Thanks again.

> Marat

  Don't bother with Appletalk; it's slow and klunky.  You best bet is
to network the printer.  Every so ofter I see HP EIO cards for use
with HP 4's.  You could also  get and external print server (HP
JetDirect or a Lantronix MPS100 ( http://www.lantronix.com )).  When
using an external print server, both the mac and pc would connect to
the printer via ethernet.

-Chris Noyes

Post by Christopher Noy » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:35:53

> Hi all

> I am looking to connect a 15in LCD iMac with a HP LaserJet 4M printer.  I
> have a PC connected to the parallel port, then there are DB9 serial and
> AppleTalk (MiniDin 8) ports.  The iMac itself is connected to a network via
> Etherhet port.  I was wondering if there are adapters/converters that will
> allow me to cnnect iMac's USB or FireWire port to HP's AppleTalk.

> Any suggestions?  Also, if this is the wrong newsgroup to post such a
> question, would someone suggest the more appropriate one?  Thanks again.

> Marat

  I meant to say that I see HP EIO cards on EBAY every so often.
Prices aren't too bad (HP wants $400 for a card).

-Chris Noyes

Post by Tom Gat » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:59:09

> > Hi all

> > I am looking to connect a 15in LCD iMac with a HP LaserJet 4M printer.  I
> > have a PC connected to the parallel port, then there are DB9 serial and
> > AppleTalk (MiniDin 8) ports.  The iMac itself is connected to a network via
> > Etherhet port.  I was wondering if there are adapters/converters that will
> > allow me to cnnect iMac's USB or FireWire port to HP's AppleTalk.

> > Any suggestions?  Also, if this is the wrong newsgroup to post such a
> > question, would someone suggest the more appropriate one?  Thanks again.

> > Marat

There are Ethernet to parallel adapters that are less than $50.  You
set an IP address for the adapter and plug the printer into your
network. Both the iMac and the PC will have access to print to it via
the IP address.  The iMac via LaserWriter drivers through the Chooser
(in OS 9 anyway) and the PC by setting up an LPR port for the printer
with the IP address. (not available in Win98 or Me)

- Tom Gates