Best Color Monitors, Video Cards, and Ethernet Cards?

Best Color Monitors, Video Cards, and Ethernet Cards?

Post by Ethan V. Muns » Sat, 03 Mar 1990 00:23:00

Like 10,000 other people, I am trying to figure out what the optimal
configuration for a NuBus Mac would be.  In particular, I want to know
whether I should just stick with Apple hardware for the video card,
color monitor and ethernet card we are likely to buy.  I seem to
remember that the Sony monitors are better than the Apple monitors.

Got any advice for me?

Ethan Munson

...!ucbvax!renoir!munson

Best Color Monitors, Video Cards, and Ethernet Cards?

Post by David Ellio » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 05:02:00

Quote:>whether I should just stick with Apple hardware for the video card,
>color monitor and ethernet card we are likely to buy.  I seem to
>remember that the Sony monitors are better than the Apple monitors.

I stuck with the Apple video card, but went with the Magnavox monitor.
It's slightly larger (14"), comes with a swivel, and only costs $519
(mail order).  I've been very pleased with it.

There is a review of 25 monitors in the October 1988 MacUser that I
found very useful when I started looking for a monitor.

--
David Elliott           ...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno

Best Color Monitors, Video Cards, and Ethernet Cards?

Post by Amanda Walk » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 23:56:00

I'd recommend the Dove FasNet III (I think that's the one; whichever
one doesn't have its own processor) over the Apple EtherTalk board.
The only problem I can see is that A/UX only supports Apple's board...

--
Amanda Walker, InterCon Systems Corporation

--
Those whom the gods would destroy they first teach COBOL.

Best Color Monitors, Video Cards, and Ethernet Cards?

Post by James C O'Connor III, 28 » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 04:11:00

I downloaded Staircase.  What does it do?
  Thanks for the help.
  Jim

Best Color Monitors, Video Cards, and Ethernet Cards?

Post by James C O'Connor III, 28 » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 04:13:00

Anyone out there have any (4, to be precise) 256K SIMMS they wouldn't mind
selling pretty cheap?
   Thanks,
   Jim

Post by Larry Ba » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 18:25:00

>I downloaded Staircase.  What does it do?
>  Thanks for the help.
>  Jim

I agree that some sort of help document would have been nice, but I did manage to
figure it out.

Put it in your system folder.
Open the Control Panel and click on the Staircase icon and make sure it is set to
On (it should be that way already, so this step is probably not necessary).
You can change some defaults, but I did not see any point in doing so.

Anyway, reboot.
The Staircase icon will appear on startup.

To see how to use it, type <command-1> from the desktop.  The "File" menu should
be exposed and remain so.  To make a choice, type <command-n> where n is the
number of the item in the menu (not the letter "n").  To make no choice type
<command-.>

This works from within any application also; <command-0> chooses the DA menu.

How you choose menu item 10 or greater is beyond me; e.g. you might have more than
9 DAs installed.

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

Post by David Quarl » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 07:42:00

>>I downloaded Staircase.  What does it do?
> How you choose menu item 10 or greater is beyond me; e.g. you might have

more than 9 DAs installed.

        ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL AND CLICK
        "Return Key Needed" TO INDICATE YES.  THEN YOU CAN ENTER
        A 2 DIGIT NUMBER (BUT NOW ALL ENTRIES WILL NEED A RETURN
        KEY PRESS TO EXECUTE).
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

Post by John Wo » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 03:05:00

>  <command-0> chooses the DA menu.

> How you choose menu item 10 or greater is beyond me; e.g. you might have more than
> 9 DAs installed.

I found if you select "return key needed" in the control panel, it will take
two digits terminated by "return".

Also, you don't need to reboot to activate or deactived Staircase.

John.

1. Best Color Monitor And Card?

Why would you want to purchase a video card for the IIci?  I don't know if there is a reason other than speed that you will be doing this, but I experience no slowdown in video speed.  In fact, most benchmarks which I've seen published show the difference to be negligible.

If it's speed you want (and price is no object), then get Apples 8*24 GC graphics card - 24 bit color with a 30 MHz RISC processor.  If price is an issue, I heard Micron Technologies sells some inexpensive 640x480 and 1024x768 8-bit cards.  They also have a 128k cache card for the IIci.

I have a Sony CPD-1304/HG 13" monitor on my IIci (using internal video, of course).  I think it's one of the best CRTs on the market today - as is any Trinitron-based monitor (SuperMac, Radius, RasterOPs, etc.).  The NEC MacSync is not a multisyncing monitor (the Sony IS, and supports up to 1024x768 resolution) - I have heard that the MacSync is not very good, just a marketing ploy for an inferior monitor.  I haven't seen one or used one, though, so don't have first hand experience.

Whatever card you get, I would suggest getting the Sony monitor - great picture.  If you're going for more than standard 640x480 resolution, you might want a larger display to keep the 72dpi correspondence.  In this case, the brands mentioned above also make large Trinitron displays.  Good luck!

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava

2. Procmail FAQ and Links pointer (pre-faq or pre-inf)

3. SE/30 card with Ethernet and video *vs* SCSI Ethernet

4. Performance tip: reduce slip priority

5. IIsi,16"trinitron monitor, 24-bit video card, SIMMS, HDs, ethernet

6. SE/30 Video Cards & Color Monitors

7. Apple Video Card - to - Sony 1302 Color Monitor

8. Color Monitors/Apple Video Card

9. Oops - The "BEST" Ethernet Card