Any chance we'll see G5 iMacs?

Post by NeoLuddit » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:28:26

Quote:> That's what I'm really looking for...

Probably not for a while. I think we'll just see faster and faster G4s.
I read something about the theoretical maximum speed the G4
architecture, but, of course, I can't remember where I read it or what
the speed was.

--

Bill Gates couldn't innovate his way out of a paper bag.

Any chance we'll see G5 iMacs?

Post by de » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:18:25

> > That's what I'm really looking for...

> Probably not for a while. I think we'll just see faster and faster G4s.
> I read something about the theoretical maximum speed the G4
> architecture, but, of course, I can't remember where I read it or what
> the speed was.

I was thinking about this myself and the next step up would be 1.2 GHz
for an iMac without eating into desktop sales.  But if IBM is as
aggressive about this as they have indicated, then desktops might be
introduced at MacWorld SF at 2.4 or 2.6 GHz.  At that time I believe
you'll see a G5 iMac but at the 1.2GHz level.  It's not just the CPU
runs hot at that speed but the entire architecture because fast memory
is almost as power hungry as CPUs.  And those special chips that Apple
uses to shunt the data around at the speed required by the G5 also
contributes to heat build-up.  HTH

1. Any chance we'll see G5 iMacs?

I artiklen

The 7457 is supposed to go up to 1.833 GHz, but that would be a p-spec chip
and run rather hot. If Apple implements the same kind of speed-stepping as
in the G5, we might se a ~1.4 GHz nominal 7457 in the iMac. More likely is
1.25 GHz.

Eventually, they plan to get to 3 GHz at 0.65.

--
Mvh./Regards,    Niels J?rgen Kruse,    Vanl?se, Denmark

2. Moet & Chandon goes doomer!

3. Original imac keyboard wanted I'll pay

4. Vertical Tab Object

5. It'll never be Maximum PC's Dream Machine, but...

6. Please help me with these Fonts

7. I'm putting the software you'll need to decode jpgs from usenet on ...

8. Industrial Laser Printer Module

9. New G5's!

10. Help with 'Seeing' a Bjork AVI file

11. Last chance MacSE's

12. Best hardware bargain you'll find other than free