Remove OSX from G4 dual 1000?

Post by GuessWh » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:19:32

I know this may seem stupid... and I probably wouldn't do it... but I
have a G4 dual 1000 desktop with OSX and 9.2.2. Other than the software
that came with my computer, I have NO OSX software and have no need (at
the moment) for any. I probably won't have a need for it in the time I
have this computer. I DO have a bunch of pre-X software installed and
boot to 9.2.2 all the time.

Has anyone ever removed OSX from a computer like this? How did you do
it so that nothing was missed? And how did you make sure you don't
delete something used by both systems?

My guess is that I might have to reinitialize the drive and reinstall
everything...

Anyone been there and done that? Successfully? Horror stories, please?

Interesting food for thought?

Pedro

Remove OSX from G4 dual 1000?

Post by Alan Zisma » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:17:26

Quote:>I know this may seem stupid... and I probably wouldn't do it... but I
>have a G4 dual 1000 desktop with OSX and 9.2.2. Other than the software
>that came with my computer, I have NO OSX software and have no need (at
>the moment) for any. I probably won't have a need for it in the time I
>have this computer. I DO have a bunch of pre-X software installed and
>boot to 9.2.2 all the time.

>Has anyone ever removed OSX from a computer like this? How did you do
>it so that nothing was missed? And how did you make sure you don't
>delete something used by both systems?

>My guess is that I might have to reinitialize the drive and reinstall
>everything...

>Anyone been there and done that? Successfully? Horror stories, please?

>Interesting food for thought?

As long as your computer boots to OS 9 (unlike the newer models that
won't), you can do it... at least two different ways.

Perhaps cleanest would be to do as you suggest-- boot to your OS 9 CD,
and use the Apple Disk Tool utility to initialize the hard drive,
install OS 9, install applications, etc.

Alternatively, you could boot to OS 9, and delete the OS X stuff-- in
other words, the OS X System folder (being careful to NOT delete the
OS 9 System Folder), the Applications folder, the Library folder, and
the various Unix folders that are hidden by default when you are using
the OS X Finder, but not the OS 9 Finder:
mach
mach.sym
mach_kernel
var
tmp
etc

Some of the other base Unix stuff doesn't appear in the OS 9 finder...

Note as well, that you could safely delete the Library folders within
each of your Users subfolders.

Remove OSX from G4 dual 1000?

Post by David Coughla » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 05:57:36

> I know this may seem stupid... and I probably wouldn't do it... but I
> have a G4 dual 1000 desktop with OSX and 9.2.2. Other than the software
> that came with my computer, I have NO OSX software and have no need (at
> the moment) for any. I probably won't have a need for it in the time I
> have this computer. I DO have a bunch of pre-X software installed and
> boot to 9.2.2 all the time.

> Has anyone ever removed OSX from a computer like this? How did you do
> it so that nothing was missed? And how did you make sure you don't
> delete something used by both systems?

> My guess is that I might have to reinitialize the drive and reinstall
> everything...

> Anyone been there and done that? Successfully? Horror stories, please?

> Interesting food for thought?

> Pedro

- just set the computer (startup disk) to start up in 9.2.2 and leave os
x  alone, you never know when you will get something you need it for,
and by starting up in 9.2.2 you will never see OS X

 I am sure you have the room on the hard disk, you can remove it if you
absolutely have to, but starting up in 9.2.2 will serve you just as well
as getting rid of X

1. G4 (Silver) Dual 1000 Freeze / PRAM

I have a G4 (Silver) Dual 1000 PowerMac System 522/80 and I am running
OS 9.2.2.

I've been noticing that every 5 - 6 weeks, the system will freeze
during startup, and I have to open the box and reset the PRAM to get
it to start.

Any input on how to troubleshoot and/or solve this problem would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mr. Freeze

2. Workshop Announcement - VISION MILESTONES 95

3. HELP -- removing accounts in osx mail removes all messages

4. intrusion attempts

5. Dual G4/800Mhz or single 933Mhz G4 for OS9 applications?

6. Why can't I see JAVA source through Class browser?

7. Dual-G4 card in an older G4

8. Router Making Dial up Connection

9. Happiness is dual drives for OSX BackUp

10. removing IE and Outlook from OSX

11. Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III Film Scanner for OSX.1.5

12. need help 4 G4 dual 800 mhz

13. removing G4 internal hard drive