WHY finder icon alternating with application icon????

Post by Erik A. Speckm » Mon, 31 Oct 1994 13:27:24

>for the last couple of days my mac powerbook 165c with 8mb ram 120mb HD
>14.4 modem has been acting strange... strange crashes all of the sudden,
>memory shortage errors (that were never present before), etc.

I assume you haven't added any new extensions or control panels recently?

Quote:>but, one problem im noticing (if it is a problem ) is that fact that
>sometimes when i have, for example, eudora or gopher open, the little icon
>shows in the upper right hand of the screen, RIGHT?  but occassionally the
>little gopher or letter icon will start alternating by flashing the finder
>icon back and forth...

>what does this mean??

This generally means that the finder wants your attention.  If you don't
get a dialog when you switch to the finder, it sounds like something else
is wrong.

I would try a virus check to be safe but I think the thing to do is
reinstall a fresh copy of your system and finder.

--

Thanx,

Bill

Syracuse University '92

Go Orangemen

SEEEEEYAA

Post by Geoff Dunc » Tue, 01 Nov 1994 04:29:56

> >but, one problem im noticing (if it is a problem ) is that fact that
> >sometimes when i have, for example, eudora or gopher open, the little icon
> >shows in the upper right hand of the screen, RIGHT?  but occassionally the
> >little gopher or letter icon will start alternating by flashing the finder
> >icon back and forth...

[...]

Quote:> This generally means that the finder wants your attention.  If you don't
> get a dialog when you switch to the finder, it sounds like something else
> is wrong.

Erik is correct--the alternating icons are the result of a "notification
event" being posted to the system by an application (in this case, the
finder). Notification events are "less rude" ways of telling the user
something is happening than putting a dialog up on the screen (and in your
way). To see what the application wants, switch to the app with the
diamond next to it's name in the application menu.

For instance, if an application crashes in the background, the finder will
post a notification event to let you know. When you switch to the finder,
generally it'll post an alert "The application <something> has quit
because an error type 1 occured." At that point, reboot your system at
your discretion. Unless you know enough about an apps's operation to know
that it's safe to continue working, I'd reboot after you've saved your
work. With TCP-based apps, a crashed app may have left TCP in an unstable
state, and it could hang if you try and re-launch the same app. Sometimes
it'll work fine; sometimes it'll lock up your machine.

Hope that helps...

Geoff Duncan

Post by Mark Phaedr » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 02:00:19

> for the last couple of days my mac powerbook 165c with 8mb ram 120mb HD
> 14.4 modem has been acting strange... strange crashes all of the sudden,
> memory shortage errors (that were never present before), etc.

> but, one problem im noticing (if it is a problem ) is that fact that
> sometimes when i have, for example, eudora or gopher open, the little icon
> shows in the upper right hand of the screen, RIGHT?  but occassionally the
> little gopher or letter icon will start alternating by flashing the finder
> icon back and forth...

> what does this mean??

     (I'm emailing this and posting it also.)
     As others have said, what you're seeing is a "notification";
basically, when a background application (an application other than the
one you're currently working with) wants to put up a dialog or otherwise
let you know something, it posts a notification about it.  This causes
three things to happen:
     *The system beep sounds.
     *The notifying application's icon flashes up in the upper-right
corner of the screen.
     *When you pull down the application menu (the icon in the upper-right
corner of the screen is actually the "title" of this menu, so you press
the mouse button down on the icon to pull this menu down), the notifying
application's name will have a diamond next to it in the menu.
     When you bring the notifying application forward (by picking it from
the application menu, or just clicking on one of its windows), it tells
you what it wanted to tell you, and the notification goes away.

     Anyway, since you say the Mac is having memory shortage errors as
well, my guess would be that the Finder wants to give you one of its
"There is not enough memory to keep the window 'Foldername' open."
messages.  When memory is critically short, the Finder sometimes starts
closing some of its windows to try to free up a little more memory; when
this happens while the Finder is in the background, you get the
notification.
     Choose "About This Macintosh..." from the Finder's Apple menu (the
one on the far left), and see how much total memory it says is in your
machine.  If it says less than 8MB, you may have a hardware problem, and
you should talk to your dealer about it.  If "System Software" is taking
up a big portion of the available memory (more than about 2500K), it may
mean that you have too many neat things installed in your System Folder
:-) , or that your disk cache is set to be too large; go to the Memory
control panel to check your disk cache, and consider reducing it to free
up more memory.  (Unless you're using System 7.5, a disk cache larger than
128K is generally counterproductive anyway.)  Finally, consider turning
virtual memory on; this will give your applications more memory space to
use, at the expense of disk space and a little speed (and reduced battery
life, if you're using the PowerBook on the road).

Post by Paul Colquhou » Mon, 07 Nov 1994 14:30:43

Quote:Horsfall writes:

{but, one problem im noticing (if it is a problem ) is that fact that
{sometimes when i have, for example, eudora or gopher open, the little
{icon shows in the upper right hand of the screen, RIGHT? but
{occassionally the little gopher or letter icon will start alternating
{by flashing the finder icon back and forth...
{
{what does this mean??
{

This is how programs that are in the background are supposed to
attract your attention for non-urgent requests, etc. If it is URGENT
they sometimes get impolite & put up a dialog box anyway.

Try changing to the application whose icon is flashing up & see what
it wants.

 \       Never underestimate the power of human stupidity        /
  \            Lazarus Long (aka Robert A Heinlein)             /
   \___________________________________________________________/

1. Icons, Icons, Icons!

When I was sorting my own personal collection of AUGE disks, I dug out
many very well-made icons for many Public Domain and commercial
programs. I guess these icons will bring much more color to your
desktops.

I am currently updating many PD programs on ftp.uni-kl.de with
archives which already have some icons included. I have also begun to
make the icons for the commercial programs available at
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub0/apple2/gs/gamestuff/gameicons

                                         Have fun!

                                                   __
`I've made it very happy,'                |\/| /\ |__||  | | |\  |
    `It's a kind of mission I have.'      |  ||__||\  |  | | | \ |
                                          |  ||  || \  \/  | |  \|

Need Apple II gs software? Visit ftp.uni-kl.de...

2. uuencodeded uudecode program is here.

3. 3D Finder icons ** in Finder 6.0

4. select total and find the max

5. REQUIRED: C programmer with Visual C++ for a games project in development.

6. Need converter PC Icons to Mac Icon

7. Ultra Enterprise 2 Memory Slots

8. System 6 trash icon -> other icons

9. Replacing CDev icons (icon resources)

10. Lots of icons and random Infinite Icon List

11. "Claris Fonts" icon is a generic document icon