Network Settings - DHCP w/Manual IP problem

Network Settings - DHCP w/Manual IP problem

Post by Adam Cohe » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:32:55

I posted this on alt.macintosh as well, but wanted to cover my bases...

I'm using a G4/867 (OS 10.2.6) with an airport card, along with an
extreme basestation connected to a cable modem. This machine is one of
three on a network (along with a TiBook running OS 10.2.6 and an old
9600 running OS9.2), and the network is bridged using a second extreme
basestation. My ISP uses dynamic IP allocation, but I am able to create
a pseudo-static address using one of the site which translates dynamic
to static IP. This allows me to consistently connect to a machine on the
network remotely, regardless of the dynamic IP that my ISP assigns to my
connection. It all works fine, except...

I want only the G4 to be accessible from outside the local network, so I
need it to show up consistently with a particular address on the
basestation. As the basestation assigns 10.0.1.x addresses within the
network, I'm concerned that if any piece of the chain goes down (power
cycle, etc.), the basestation(s) with reassign IP addresses that may or
may not be allocated to each device as they were prior to the
interruption, causing a different machine to show up at the address
where the G4 should be. I think this problem should be solvable if I can
get the G4 to always be assigned, say, 10.0.1.5 (or whatever), and I
assumed that the way to do this is through the Network Settings, using
DHCP with Manual IP. However, when I switch to that setting from simply
DHCP, the G4 no longer is able to connect to the internet - neither my
browser nor my email or usenet applications can see the outside world
any longer.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Adam
to reply via email, remove "spamless" from my email address

Network Settings - DHCP w/Manual IP problem

Post by Stev » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:55:32

   the 'To' and 'Newsgroups' headers for details. ]]

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:32:55 -0700, Adam Cohen wrote

Quote:> I posted this on alt.macintosh as well, but wanted to cover my bases...

> I'm using a G4/867 (OS 10.2.6) with an airport card, along with an
> extreme basestation connected to a cable modem. This machine is one of
> three on a network (along with a TiBook running OS 10.2.6 and an old
> 9600 running OS9.2), and the network is bridged using a second extreme
> basestation. My ISP uses dynamic IP allocation, but I am able to create
> a pseudo-static address using one of the site which translates dynamic
> to static IP. This allows me to consistently connect to a machine on the
> network remotely, regardless of the dynamic IP that my ISP assigns to my
> connection. It all works fine, except...

> I want only the G4 to be accessible from outside the local network, so I
> need it to show up consistently with a particular address on the
> basestation. As the basestation assigns 10.0.1.x addresses within the
> network, I'm concerned that if any piece of the chain goes down (power
> cycle, etc.), the basestation(s) with reassign IP addresses that may or
> may not be allocated to each device as they were prior to the
> interruption, causing a different machine to show up at the address
> where the G4 should be. I think this problem should be solvable if I can
> get the G4 to always be assigned, say, 10.0.1.5 (or whatever), and I
> assumed that the way to do this is through the Network Settings, using
> DHCP with Manual IP. However, when I switch to that setting from simply
> DHCP, the G4 no longer is able to connect to the internet - neither my
> browser nor my email or usenet applications can see the outside world
> any longer.

> What am I doing wrong?

> Thanks!

> Adam
> to reply via email, remove "spamless" from my email address

What are you using to share the ISP's dynamic address with the three
computers on the LAN? From my admittedly basic understanding of TCP/IP, you
would need to tell the sharing device to assign the computer in question to
be staticaly addressed, as well as setting the computer itself.

Steve C

Post by Adam Cohe » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:49:25

> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
>    the 'To' and 'Newsgroups' headers for details. ]]

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:32:55 -0700, Adam Cohen wrote

>>I posted this on alt.macintosh as well, but wanted to cover my bases...

>>I'm using a G4/867 (OS 10.2.6) with an airport card, along with an
>>extreme basestation connected to a cable modem. This machine is one of
>>three on a network (along with a TiBook running OS 10.2.6 and an old
>>9600 running OS9.2), and the network is bridged using a second extreme
>>basestation. My ISP uses dynamic IP allocation, but I am able to create
>>a pseudo-static address using one of the site which translates dynamic
>>to static IP. This allows me to consistently connect to a machine on the
>>network remotely, regardless of the dynamic IP that my ISP assigns to my
>>connection. It all works fine, except...

>>I want only the G4 to be accessible from outside the local network, so I
>>need it to show up consistently with a particular address on the
>>basestation. As the basestation assigns 10.0.1.x addresses within the
>>network, I'm concerned that if any piece of the chain goes down (power
>>cycle, etc.), the basestation(s) with reassign IP addresses that may or
>>may not be allocated to each device as they were prior to the
>>interruption, causing a different machine to show up at the address
>>where the G4 should be. I think this problem should be solvable if I can
>>get the G4 to always be assigned, say, 10.0.1.5 (or whatever), and I
>>assumed that the way to do this is through the Network Settings, using
>>DHCP with Manual IP. However, when I switch to that setting from simply
>>DHCP, the G4 no longer is able to connect to the internet - neither my
>>browser nor my email or usenet applications can see the outside world
>>any longer.

>>What am I doing wrong?

>>Thanks!

>>Adam
>>to reply via email, remove "spamless" from my email address

> What are you using to share the ISP's dynamic address with the three
> computers on the LAN? From my admittedly basic understanding of TCP/IP, you
> would need to tell the sharing device to assign the computer in question to
> be staticaly addressed, as well as setting the computer itself.

> Steve C

The dynamically assigned IP address is given to the Airport (I assume),
which then distributes to the three machines on the LAN.

Network Settings - DHCP w/Manual IP problem

Post by Stev » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:21:04

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:49:25 -0700, Adam Cohen wrote

<SNIP>

Quote:

>> What are you using to share the ISP's dynamic address with the three
>> computers on the LAN? From my admittedly basic understanding of TCP/IP,
>> you
>> would need to tell the sharing device to assign the computer in question
>> be staticaly addressed, as well as setting the computer itself.

>> Steve C

> The dynamically assigned IP address is given to the Airport (I assume),
> which then distributes to the three machines on the LAN.

Well I haven't had the pleasure of playing with an Airport router yet, as I
don't like the lack of security. But the setup with a wired router is to
configure the router to assign the machine in question a static address,
using the machine's MAC address as the identifier. I would guess that an
Airport device would work the same way. I would look a the documentation for
the Airport router and see how to assign a static address, then configure the
machine to have the matching address.

Steve C.

1. problem with DHCP/DNS over airport / sympatico high-speed

Hi there, I had a problem and got it fixed today with help from apple
support here in canada. Thought I'd post it up in case anyone else is
having similar problems.

My setup is:
iMac (for parents)
Airport Base Station (ABS)
speedstream DSL modem
ethernet hub with the iMac, ABS, and DSL modem plugged into it.
TiBook (my computer) connected to the net via the ABS.

ABS uses PPPoE to connect to the internet through the DSL modem. ABS
has DHCP and NAT enabled, including DHCP over wired ethernet for the
iMac. THe TiBook and the iMac connect via DHCP to the airport. the
airport is the only thing connected with PPPoE to the modem/internet.

OK, pretty standard setup I think. I had this setup for months. But
starting yesterday, I was getting lousy DNS lookup times. In IE, it
would say "looking for www.google.com" or whatever for a long time,
sometimes connect, sometimes time out. TUrning off DHCP over wired
ethernet didn't help. Connecting directly from the iMac with PPPoE to
the modem DID help, with the ABS disconnected. So, Sympatico says they
can't help me.

Today I called apple support, after a while they said to take out the
DNS ips that I had set into the Airport Admin App. That doesn't help.
THen they say, add them into the Network config on the TiBook.
Suddenly, everything's nice and fast.

Also, now for the first time I can use "nslookup" command on the
command line which before today said it couldn't find the DNS.

I always assumed that DHCP translated DNS requests and forwarded them
back and forth automagically. I guess not? Anyway, the problem seems
to be fixed.

Simon

2. Sonicwall

3. TCP/IP settings under 9.2.1 vs classic under 10.1

4. Task waiting for a semaphore in iosWrite.

5. Apple ][e <--> tcp/ip network?

6. Help for 22disk

7. TCP/IP & Network OS

8. Digital VRT-17HA (Sony VR-417)

9. Network without Appletalk and only TCP/IP?

10. Getting TCP/IP from serial link to Ethernet network

11. connecting MAC to a TCP/IP NETWORK

12. MAC -> TCP/IP Networking

13. What is the integrated IP router with network modem of Choice?