MacMall NIGHTMARE - WARNING!

Post by Fred Yegan » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:53:09

Over the past 15 years, I have bought many macs from many catalog
magazines without ever thinking there was a difference between them.
I never had much of a problem or at least I got prompt responses.  I
can not however recommend MacMall. Recently I bought a powerbook with
the promise of four rebates. First off, it was a bad sign that they
required so many rebates to be mailed back. Instead of sending the
rebates with the items to you, you have to find them on their web
site. Only two of the four rebates that were promised by the sales
representative and even typed into the sales receipt were on their web
site.  So I called the sales rep and he said he'd email them to me. He
emailed three and they were for the wrong items. I called again and he
said he'd have them fax it to me. No such success. I called again - oh
sorry no one is here that can help you - call on Monday. Call on
Monday - oh we'll put it in the mail and by the way no one can help
you until 11 am - the customer service rep doesn't get in until
then......

Well this got me somewhat irate given the realization that they
obviously do not care about customer service. First of all rebates are
a method to prevent the reduction in price by the hope that a person
will forget, or improperly fill out forms, or delay sending in the
rebate. Obviously not a good way to keep customer satisfaction high.
So I decided to go to the better business bureau online to see what
type of rating they have (www.bbb.org).

This is the site I got directed to
(http://www.veryComputer.com/%3A/Inetpu...).
If that link doesn't work, just do a search for the company - its very
easy to find at www.bbb.org  . End result:

                        Complainants allege product quality issues,
some devices are not compatable as indicated, difficulty returning
items for refund, or obtaining rebates. Some further allege they are
unaware that all sales are final or that a restocking fee will be
charged for returns. Other customers complain of dissatisfaction with
customer service. A few allege billing disputes.

 The company responds to complaints by issuing refunds, honoring
rebates, allowing returns, correcting pricing/adverti*t errors, or
offering to repair units. They explain there is a disclaimer on their
website and catalogs clearly stating all sales are final and a
restocking fee is charged when an item is not returned as shipped.

 We advise careful evaluation of the company's technical assistance,
servicing, refund and exchange policies prior to ordering products. In
some cases, customers must contact the product manufacturer, or a
designated agent, and not the retailer to redeem rebates.

 The Better Business Bureau does not endorse, recommend or disapprove
of any company, product or service.

Obviously, now I am worried..... Just a word to the wise, MacMall does
not appear to have a good reputation and obviously does not care about
its reputation given such a horrible write up at the Better Business
Bureau. Had I known, I would not have bought from them. I did receive
all the items I ordered, but given the above write up I expect not to
receive much assistance and feel it unlikely that I will be given the
rebates promised.

Just to give you an idea here is the rating for MacWarehouse:

Customer Experience
?
Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the
Bureau. ?
?
To have a Satisfactory Record with the Bureau, a company must be in
business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters
referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or
pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its
marketplace conduct.  In addition, the Bureau must have a clear
understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its
industry.?
?

And the rating for MacZone:

Customer Experience Record
Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the
Bureau.  The company responded to any complaints processed by the
Bureau in its three-year reporting period addressing the disputed
issues and exhibiting a good faith effort to resolve the complaints
satisfactorily. However, the consumer was not always satisfied with
the outcome.

To have a "Satisfactory Record" with the Bureau, a company must be in
business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters
referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or
pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its
marketplace conduct.  In addition, the Bureau must have a clear
understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its
industry.

____________

So all I can say is I hope this information helps you make a better
decision. The only reason I bought from MacMall was that their rebates
made the purchasing price significantly lower than the rest of the
companies. However as you can see those rebates can be hard and
possibly impossible to obtain and further you may get very frustrated
and write long letters on the internet to warn others.... not a way I
will go again ;-)

Good luck,
Fred Yeganeh

1. Consumer Warning RE:MacMall - Please Read!

Greetings, I'll make this as short as possible.

Both my parents and I own Macintoshes. We have, in the past, ordered
several items, both hardware and software, from Creative Computers'
MacMall catalog. During the course of our business relationship, they
have committed the following errors:

1. They have sent ordered items to the wrong address, causing me
considerable hardship.

2. They have sent me what was obviously defective merchandise, then
expected me to bear the financial responsibility for the item until
they could confirm the defect and replace it, causing my credit card
finance charges to increase during the interim.

3. Their sales representative gave me erroneous product information,
thus causing me considerable hardship and extraneous financial costs
when attempting to compensate for his error.

4. They sent my parents an item, then erroneously sent a duplicate
item. When my mother called to report the error, they charged her for
the item, plus the additional postage, then refunded her less money
than she was originally charged for the order. This essentially
amounted to charging her for their own mistake.

5. When my parents attempted to call the customer service line on two
occasions, MacMall's employees were rude to them. When my mother asked
to speak to a superior, both times she was told that she would receive
a call later on, when the superior was available. In both cases no
follow-up call was received.

I wrote a letter to MacMall expressing my disappointment in their
service, and in the letter implied that I would like some sort of
response to my account of all of their mistakes. I sent that letter in
September. I have not yet received a reply. I went to their web site,
and left a message with customer service in which I placed the text of
the original letter, with additional comments on further errors they
committed when dealing with my parents. I insisted that they respond to
my comments. That was three weeks ago. I have had it with MacMall -
they are terribly disappointing. Both my parents and I purchase
computer software and equipment in conjunction with our respective
working situations, and we have been treated unfairly and
unprofessionally. I recommend that everyone consider my experience when
selecting a mail order outlet to deal with in the future.

Thank you for reading this post.

Regards,

Alex Ogilvie

2. URL Helper not working

3. PacBell DSL Billing Nightmare Warning

4. Refresh rate on SUN 1 System

5. Questron II/gs-- Warning, Warning, Warning ....

6. Offline Folders Tab is not there?

7. *WARNING* -- GateKeeper, V1.0 -- *WARNING*

8. Atlanta - Job Opp.

9. Know anything about the $200 CD-R in MacMall

10. MacMall, E-machines Etherdock, Duo 230

11. Request: Nightmare gallery

12. XGS: file nightmares