CD from PC won't mount in 9.2.1.

Post by XCTRUCK » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:44:08

Every once in a while I get a CD from a client that doesn't show up on
my desktop. I know there is data, because it mounts on a PC, but
doesn't mount on my G3 using System 9.2.1. I've tried to make sure I
have all the necessary extensions installed for cd access (foreign
file access, high sierra, joliet, ISO 9660, etc).

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Mark

CD from PC won't mount in 9.2.1.

Post by Didier Morand » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 04:36:30

Maybe the CD is a copy of a genuine ISO 9660 CD and the program which did the
burning on the PC didn't copy all genuine info to allow the Mac to understand
that it should mount a PC CD.

My 2 euros.

D.

> Every once in a while I get a CD from a client that doesn't show up on
> my desktop. I know there is data, because it mounts on a PC, but
> doesn't mount on my G3 using System 9.2.1. I've tried to make sure I
> have all the necessary extensions installed for cd access (foreign
> file access, high sierra, joliet, ISO 9660, etc).

> What am I doing wrong here?

> Thanks,

> Mark

MORANDI Consultants  http://Didier.Morandi.Free.fr
  19 chemin de la Butte, 31400 Toulouse, France.
Tel.: +33 (0)6 7983 6418 - Fax: +33 (0)5 6154 1928
OpenVMS, APPLE, Computer Security, Migration plans

1. What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

Hey gang-

A friend recently sent me a CD of vacation pictures (.jpgs) that she'd
burned on her Windows PC.   The CD wouldn't mount on my Mac (Beige G3)
and I got a dialog saying the disk was unreadable and did I want to
initialize it.

Suspecting that she'd had a buffer underrun or some other burn error, I
asked her to send another.  When it too could not be read, I got
curious.  I took the CD to work and tried it in a Windows PC.  It
mounted fine!

So, my question is, what kind of Windows formatted CD can't be read on a
Mac??  I have NEVER had any problem mounting any DOS, Windows, ISO 9660,
or Hybrid CD ever.

I asked her if she knew what format she'd burned the disk in, but she
didn't know that or for that matter what burning software she'd used.
Still- it shouldn't matter- the great thing about my Mac is I've always
been able to mount ANY CD.  And I still can- except this one!

I should mention also that it wouldn't mount in either of my CD drives-
not my internal Panasonic 24x CD-ROM or my external Yamaha 8/4/24 CD-R
drive.

My driver software is the latest Intech CD/DVD Speedtools 5.7 and I have
the full OS 9.1 complement of Foreign File access extensions.

Any guesses as to what this weird Windows CD is that will mount on a
Windows PC and not a Mac?

Thanks!

Dave

--

2. UFO Cheats hacks??

3. io-magic usb cdrw, mounts cd but won't burn

4. Minix on "THE PC+" ?

5. Help! CDs won't mount

6. print jobs go into the bit bucket!

7. freebie CD-ROM won't mount

8. Is it worth the dollars to buy Money 2001

9. data migration from PC via Firewire drive -- drive won't mount

10. CD-ROM player won't read Data CD's

11. Mounting DOS/WIN CDs

12. Audio CDs made with Que won't play in CD players

13. old 5.25" disks won't mount on IIgs?