CD-ROM player won't read Data CD's

Post by James Term » Mon, 22 Jun 1992 12:19:20

All of a sudden my CD-ROM player will not read data CD-ROM's.  It will accept
audio CD's with no problem (and play them).  But if I put in a disk CD-ROM it
will keep trying to read it over and over again without sucess until I eject
it manually.  It was working fine a week ago?

To make sure it was  not the software , I booted up on the disk with the inits
and it had the same problem.  The player is the old Apple CD-ROM player.

Thanks!

| James L. Terman "Future Dead White Male" | Science may set limits to know-  |

|                                          |               - Bertrand Russell |

CD-ROM player won't read Data CD's

Post by Andy Peterm » Tue, 23 Jun 1992 04:07:16

Quote:>All of a sudden my CD-ROM player will not read data CD-ROM's.  It will accept
>audio CD's with no problem (and play them).  But if I put in a disk CD-ROM it
>will keep trying to read it over and over again without sucess until I eject
>it manually.  It was working fine a week ago?

Hmmm, this sounds like the same problem my CD-ROM player has.  Although
I've never been able to identify the cause of the problem, I think it
has something to do with the SCSI cables or connectors.  I've had it happen
to two different drives and even after one drive was replaced (the old
disconnect the fan and replace the drive problem from a few years ago)
and the problem hangs around.  Also, I've tried different SCSI cables
and even different computers and still experience the problem - sometimes!!!

So here's how I fix it - don't laugh, it works almost all the time where
nothing else does.  Disconnect the drive, pick it up, and slap it on the
bottom a few times (kinda hard).  Plug it in again and reboot and odds
are it will work again!  (Let me know if this does work).

If anyone else out there has any better solution, I'd sure like to hear
it!

--
Andy Peterman

(916) 273-4569

Post by Jack Brind » Wed, 24 Jun 1992 01:29:57

>>All of a sudden my CD-ROM player will not read data CD-ROM's.  It will accept
>>audio CD's with no problem (and play them).  But if I put in a disk CD-ROM it
>>will keep trying to read it over and over again without sucess until I eject
>>it manually.  It was working fine a week ago?

>So here's how I fix it - don't laugh, it works almost all the time where
>nothing else does.  Disconnect the drive, pick it up, and slap it on the
>bottom a few times (kinda hard).  Plug it in again and reboot and odds
>are it will work again!  (Let me know if this does work).

>If anyone else out there has any better solution, I'd sure like to hear
>it!

Shudder... That poor CD mechanism. When mine quit reading data CDs, I
bought a CD lens cleaner. After one use things were working quite well
again. It seems that dirt likes to build up on the lens. Cost for the
lens cleaner is about $20. It looks just like a CD, except it has a
little brush attached to clean the lens. I've now used it two or three
times and my original Apple CD player is going great (with the fan
unplugged). There are several brands of cleaner around, probably the
one most of us would pick comes from DiscWasher.

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib

1. Audio CDs made with Que won't play in CD players

I have burned several audio CDs using a Que 8x4x32 CD-RW. I can hear the
racks if I play them in another PC, but none of my CD players (car,
standalone, discman) will read them. I've been burning them at 8x.
Should I try a lower speed? I am using Toast 4.1 to burn the cds.

Thanks.

2. Fixpak 15 problem

3. CD-ROM now can't read Mac or foreign CDs

4. Best to handle 56K VC off a 1544K T1 Frame-relay?

5. iMac Won't Read CD-R's

6. Column with in Multiple Selection

7. HELP : PB Pismo reads DVDs but won't read CDs

8. multiple CD-ROM drives ('players")

9. freebie CD-ROM won't mount

10. NEC CD Express owners: FREE CD-ROM's from NEC!!!

11. Apple's CD SC CD-ROM driver

12. Toshiba CD-ROM Drive and Mac have Trouble with Grolier's CD