updating from 8.6 to 9.1 problems

Post by F. Blaine Dickso » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:12:26

I'm trying to update from 8.6 to 9.1, but I get a box saying the firmware is
not currrent. All docs (even Apple's) say to check in the CD Extras folder
for instructions on updating the firmware. However, there is nothing there
describing how to do this. Can someone please give me instructions on how I
can do this, so my 9.1 software will update properly.

Post by John Gentil » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:43:44

> I'm trying to update from 8.6 to 9.1, but I get a box saying the
> firmware is not currrent. All docs (even Apple's) say to check in the
> CD Extras folder for instructions on updating the firmware. However,
> there is nothing there describing how to do this. Can someone please
> give me instructions on how I can do this, so my 9.1 software will
> update properly.

Assuming you have the proper install CD with the correct version of Mac
OS 9.1, the file they are referring to is on the CD in the folder called
CD Extras. It is called Firmware Updates. Open that folder and find the
update that applies to your system (either iMac, G3, G4 or whatever). If
you do not have the full install version of the Mac OS 9.1 then you
probably have a Restore CD from someone else's system. Those CD's can
only be installed on the machine it was made for.

So basically here is what you need to do:
Put the CD in the CD drive and restart the computer while holding the C
key down until you see the Mac OS window.
Find the CD Extras folder and open it up, then find the Firmware Updates
and find the one that you need to install. There should be a Read Me
document in there to tell you exactly how to proceed. It may be as
simple as installing the update they way you usually do all installs or
you may have to hit the "programmer's" button to install. The
instructions should be very clear and easy to follow.

John

1. 8.6 to 9.1 problems

You need to specify which model Mac this is.

--

                personal page: http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/
  ** Computer Workshops: games, productivity software and more for C64/128! **

2. DHCP services on a router ?

3. Problem updating from 8.5 to 8.6

4. Wordwrap in Column Titles

5. Problems downloading macos 9.1 and 9.2.1 updates from apple

6. msconfig

7. Firmware Update equals no OS 8.6?

8. AB3D2: team mode?

9. Question re 9.1 update...

10. Updating to OS 9.1

11. Problem upgrading from OS 8.5 to 8.6

12. C2+v.9.1 --- problem w/ long pathways

13. Problems with iMac running 9.1