Need help switching to an Apple Laptop

Post by ameer.. » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:07:36

I'm a computer professional and have mainly used wintel machines all
my life. I was all ready to switch to the new 17" G4 Powerbook after
studying all my options until the G5 came out. Would it be a wise idea
to go ahead and make the purchase or could there be new G5 laptops
coming soon. I don't want to end up buying a machine that'll become
outdated soon. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Post by Neill Massel » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:31:38

> I'm a computer professional and have mainly used wintel machines all
> my life. I was all ready to switch to the new 17" G4 Powerbook after
> studying all my options until the G5 came out. Would it be a wise idea
> to go ahead and make the purchase or could there be new G5 laptops
> coming soon. I don't want to end up buying a machine that'll become
> outdated soon. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Don't expect a G5 laptop anytime soon. Do expect a new 15" aluminium
PowerBook G4 model, whose introduction ~might~ coincide with speed bumps
or price drops on the 12" and 17" models. And definitely expect that
~any~ computer you buy will become outdated soon.

Post by Robe » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:03:27

> I'm a computer professional and have mainly used wintel machines all
> my life. I was all ready to switch to the new 17" G4 Powerbook after
> studying all my options until the G5 came out. Would it be a wise idea
> to go ahead and make the purchase or could there be new G5 laptops
> coming soon. I don't want to end up buying a machine that'll become
> outdated soon. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Apple has a long history of supporting hardware they sell.  MacOS X
runs on all G3 processors  that  Apple started selling  in 1997.  See:

With nine fans in the tower model, I got to assume the machine
produces a little heat, so it may be awhile before the G5 makes it to
the laptop scene.  Most people keep their Mac for five  years.  I
think you are safe on the software side.  On the hardware side,
machines always get faster.

Perhaps you could look around and see if IBM is producing a low power
model of the G5.

Robert

1. Help needed with Mac laptop.

I have a Mac 170 Powerbook. I'm having intermittent problems with the
hard drive. Previously it would not recognize the hard disk. After not
touching it for a while it miraculously fixed itself, or so it seemed.
It now will only get half way through booting up, and hangs when I try
to boot off a startup disk. Is there a 'safe' boot up mode for
troubleshooting? I know little about Mac OS so I anyone can forward some
documentation on it I would be grateful.

2. List Files and directories....

3. Switching from Cube to laptop

4. SLIP/PPP Installation guide Real Soon Now

5. Help Needed with ZIP GS Switch 2 Settings

6. OpenVms Vs. Ultrix

7. Help...need the dip switch settings for a C.Itoh m8510+

8. SSh agent problem (1.2.17 & HPUX)

9. Help with Super Serial Card DIP Switch Settings Needed

10. Help - need Super Serial Board DIP switch meanings.

11. Need help switching MacClassic power supply for England

12. Need help with memory upgrade on Mac II cx- are there jumpers or switch

13. Imagewriter 2 Help (Need switch settings)