file sharing via TCP/IP

Post by Cameron Lewi » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:16:05

I don't seem to be able to use this, either in classic or X. I do
believe thta I have all the necessary extensions installed, and I
beleive that all the configuration is correct (e.g IP addresses etc).
But still my macs can't talk over TCP/IP, either via a hub or crossover.
And yet I don't have this problem with Appletalk.

Any suggestions??

TIA.

file sharing via TCP/IP

Post by Wayne C. Morri » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 03:53:38

Quote:> I don't seem to be able to use this, either in classic or X. I do
> believe thta I have all the necessary extensions installed, and I
> beleive that all the configuration is correct (e.g IP addresses etc).
> But still my macs can't talk over TCP/IP, either via a hub or crossover.
> And yet I don't have this problem with Appletalk.

In the File Sharing control panel on each Mac, did you check the "Enable
File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP" option?

file sharing via TCP/IP

Post by Cameron Lewi » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:03:57

> > I don't seem to be able to use this, either in classic or X. I do
> > believe thta I have all the necessary extensions installed, and I
> > beleive that all the configuration is correct (e.g IP addresses etc).
> > But still my macs can't talk over TCP/IP, either via a hub or crossover.
> > And yet I don't have this problem with Appletalk.

> In the File Sharing control panel on each Mac, did you check the "Enable
> File Sharing clients to connect over TCP/IP" option?

I am sure that this option was NOT available. I have heard discussion of
this before. Perhaps I'll need to reinstall all the networking software!?

1. security for file sharing via TCP/IP and other Macintosh security issues

Hi all -

    I have a Mac in my office (running OS 9) to which I connect from home by
File Sharing via TCP/IP. Recently another computer in the building was
hacked remotely and a bunch of files were erased. I am now concerned about
mine; is there any sort of software package that can be applied over the
file sharing to give a higher degree of security? And, is there any known
way to access a Mac on the internet if the file sharing is turned off?
    On a related issue, to monitor access to the Mac "in person" (people
using the machine from the console, is there any good software which can act
like a password protected screen saver, except that it 1) has several
possible passwords (so I can assign individual passwords to valid users, and
2) records the password and the date/time it's entered (so I can tell who is
using it when)?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions (please cc: to

Mike

2. ARCserve database - delete a set of records

3. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

4. Program for Conference

5. FIle sharing over TCP/IP on PowerPC 8500 MacOS 8.1 - possible?

6. restricted user but not admin

7. TCP/IP for Apple IIgs via AppleTalk???

8. ARA connection via TCP/IP no dial to computer

9. TCP/IP for Apple{Talk,Share}?

10. GS/TCP (TCP/IP for the IIGS)

11. format of hosts file in TCP/IP control panel?

12. Establishing TCP/IP through Serial on Apple II