Font ID changing (RE: Font ID number listing)

Font ID changing (RE: Font ID number listing)

Post by st.. » Wed, 02 May 1990 17:36:00

Quote:>In an effort to find an unused font ID number for a new font I'd designed
>("Woodside", to appear soon in .mac.binaries), I went through the task of
>listing (a bunch of) fonts by name and by ID number. The new Font/DA
>Movers now transparently change font ID's to avoid conflict, ...

            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you sure about this?  If the new Font/DA mover indeed changes the IDs of
fonts, without notifying the user, then there is a potential for
compatibility problems.  If you take a font with, let's say, ID 230, and you
install it in a System file with no existing FONT 230, then, no problem.
But if you install it into a System file that already has FONT 230 it it,
then the ID of the newly installed font will be changed.  Documents
formatted under this System in the newly-installed font will appear in a
different font when displayed under the other System, and documents
formatted under the system that has the font intact will be displayed in the
font with same ID (which is a different font) under the System with the
conflicting fonts.
--

Font ID changing (RE: Font ID number listing)

Post by Joel We » Wed, 02 May 1990 12:06:00

The Font/DA mover has done this for at least a year, ever since
Apple realized there were too many PD fonts out there without
enough unique slots.

Moral: use GetFNum to look up by name.
--
        Joel West
        {ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww      (ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)

Font ID changing (RE: Font ID number listing)

Post by Stephen B. Baumgart » Wed, 02 May 1990 17:12:00

:
Quote:>The new Font/DA Mover changes font IDs to avoid conflicts, thereby creating
     ~~~
>Systems under which the same document looks different (because font 230 in
>System 1 has been changed by the F/DA Mover to font 320 in System 2)...

:
Font/DA Mover 3.2 does this too, and it's always been a problem, since
it doesn't tell you that there was a conflict.  I guess Apple chose what it
believed to be the lesser of 2 evils (the greater being not allowing you to
install certain combinations of fonts in the same System).  Still, I think it
would be better if it put up some sort of alert and at least gave you the
option of changing font IDs or aborting the operation.

- Steve

Font ID changing (RE: Font ID number listing)

Post by Scott Com » Wed, 02 May 1990 11:42:00

You are supposed to save font name/size info in documents, not font
numbers. Font numbers have always been a no-no, and anyone with any sense
can figure out that font numbers are system file specific, while font
names/sizes are portable.

Just think about what would happen if we all started saving fRefNums to
access files instead of using their names? After all, if I close it and
then open it again, won't it have the same fRefNum? Use you head... And
use the durn font name. That's why its there.

scott out

1. Font ID numbers

Ok, I've finally had time to work on my current project (FONTPiMP) and
have gotten to the point that I need to have some means to check whether a
font number is being used (since I have to make one up, and the old font
will be replaced by the new one if they have the same number).

Any ideas? Is there a system call (or means to query Pointless) to check
on whether a currently loaded font has the same number?

2. Problem with headers

3. Assignment of Font Family IDs?

4. FS: Amiga World back issues, cheap!

5. Duplicate Font Names In Font List

6. Help needed with using Win32 Net functions with VB

7. Help with changing SCSI ID#

8. SE HD20SC - SCSI ID Changed!

9. Internal Drive SCSI ID Change?

10. Changing the SCSI ID on an APS 240 Mb internal hard drive?

11. How to change the SCSI ID on an Apple-Conner 3040A Hard Drive

12. How do I change the SCSI ID of my Quantum 80?