VHS tape to audio CD?

Post by George Eva » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:27:54

Have a VHS tape with 2 hours of an audio recording that I would like to
transfer to a CD for play in the car after I first digitalize the
recording.  Would be using a G4, with OS 10.2, itunes3, imovie3, etc.  How
can I export and in what form (e.g., Quicktime?) in order to make this
accessible to a CD player?  Thanks!

                                        George

VHS tape to audio CD?

Post by Alan Zisma » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:10:38

Quote:>Have a VHS tape with 2 hours of an audio recording that I would like to
>transfer to a CD for play in the car after I first digitalize the
>recording.  Would be using a G4, with OS 10.2, itunes3, imovie3, etc.  How
>can I export and in what form (e.g., Quicktime?) in order to make this
>accessible to a CD player?  Thanks!

You need a number of things... it's similar to making an audio CD from
a cassette tape (or LP):

-- a physical connection from your VCR's audio out (most VCRs have
mono or two stereo RCA audio output jacks) into your G4.

Does your G4 have a stereo 1/8" (mini) audio input? Or do you need to
get a USB audio device (such as Griffin Technology's iMic?

-- once you make the physical connection, you need recording software.
There are a variety of options, ranging from the free, open source
Audacity to the relatively expensive Peak (there's a downloadable,
usable trial version) among others.

You didn't say whether you want to simply record the whole 2 hrs as a
single audio track or if you'll want to break it up into multiple
tracks...

-- Finally, you'll want to burn it as an audio CD... you could use
iTunes for that, or Toast, etc.

I've got a long tutorial online about turning cassette tapes and LPs
into audio CDs.... there's a lot of overlap with what you're trying to
do-- you might want to check it out:

www.zisman.ca/Recording

VHS tape to audio CD?

Post by Charles Marti » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:21:22

Quote:> Have a VHS tape with 2 hours of an audio recording that I would like to
> transfer to a CD for play in the car after I first digitalize the
> recording.  Would be using a G4, with OS 10.2, itunes3, imovie3, etc.  How
> can I export and in what form (e.g., Quicktime?) in order to make this
> accessible to a CD player?  Thanks!

>                                         George

There are a number of ways to do this.

If you have analog audio in (ie a microphone port), then just hook the
audio out on the VCR to the audio in on the Mac, use a program like
Audio In (free, I think) or AudioX ($10 shareware) or any of a
half-dozen other programs to capture the sound.

Open the resulting AIFF file in an audio editor like Amadeus II
(shareware) and or Audacity (free) and edit to heart's content.

Use iTunes or LAMEbrain to turn edited AIFF into MP3. Burn onto CD using
iTunes or Toast, etc.

If you DON'T have an analog audio in, buy a Griffin iMic ($35, has
analog audio ports on one end, USB on the other, works great) and plug
the VCR into it. Then proceed as directed above.
--
Cheers,
_Chas_

1. RDAT backup tapes = DAT audio tapes?

I am working in a facility which has a IIci attached to an RDAT backup
drive. The supplier of the drive is only too happy to sell me tapes for
$30 a piece, while I can get DAT audio tapes of the same length for about
half the price. Can I use these cheaper audio DAT tapes in the RDAT drive?

there is interest.

thanks!!

Bill Walker

2. Anywhere still stocking Epson 880 in UK?

3. Mac video to VHS tape?

4. HP Officejet R series...?

5. HELP: video graphics to VHS tape?

6. Microstation and SMS

7. Mac backup to VHS tapes (using VCR)

8. New names for Merlin?

9. Read audio files from audio CD

10. VHS to CD-R Hardware

11. ##$ Save money on CD-Audio & CD ROM Packages $##

12. IIgs, CD-audio, Apple HS SCSI, and which Apple brand CD-ROM drives?

13. CD drive rejects audio CD