Why do I enter Open Firmware on a Restart?

Why do I enter Open Firmware on a Restart?

Post by David Wadwel » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:10:50

I had a crash the other day and performed the normal ?forced restart1
(control+command+power) in order to clear the freeze.  However, instead of
the usual MacOS logo I had a grey screen with the following message:
?Welcome to OpenFirmware.  To continue booting, type 3mac-boot2 and press
return.1  I then had a very small MacOS logo in the middle of the screen
(with meaningless numbers and letters underneath) before the usual MacOS 9.1
logo appeared telling me it was starting up...

Now every time I restart I reboot into OpenFirmware and have to type the
magic words above.  If I start from a shut down - then everything operates
as normal with no OpenFirmware in sight.  Everything else seems to work OK.

Can anyone tell me what has happened?  And should I be concerned as all my
programs seem to work OK.

Regards,
David Wadwell.

My system is: PowerBook G3/500MHz/256Mb/20Gb/OS9.1

Why do I enter Open Firmware on a Restart?

Post by James L. Rya » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:59:25

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 9:10:50 -0400, David Wadwell wrote

Quote:> I had a crash the other day and performed the normal ?forced restart1
> (control+command+power) in order to clear the freeze.  However, instead of
> the usual MacOS logo I had a grey screen with the following message:
> ?Welcome to OpenFirmware.  To continue booting, type 3mac-boot2 and press
> return.1  I then had a very small MacOS logo in the middle of the screen
> (with meaningless numbers and letters underneath) before the usual MacOS 9.1
> logo appeared telling me it was starting up...

> Now every time I restart I reboot into OpenFirmware and have to type the
> magic words above.  If I start from a shut down - then everything operates
> as normal with no OpenFirmware in sight.  Everything else seems to work OK.

> Can anyone tell me what has happened?  And should I be concerned as all my
> programs seem to work OK.

> Regards,
> David Wadwell.

> My system is: PowerBook G3/500MHz/256Mb/20Gb/OS9.1

I have a similar situation having to type "mac-boot" whenever the system is
started, but _only_ if my HP 2210 "All-In-One" multifunction
printer/fax/scanner/copier is connected at time of the restart. If I unplug
the USB connector to the 2210 then the start is "normal" and if afterwards I
replug the USB connectorf the 2210 functions normally. Other than this
startup oddity everything else seems to work normally.

I contacted HP about this startup issue and was told to not expect any
resolution to the problem from HP.

My system is: PowerBook G4/500MHz/512Mb/20Gb/OS-X 10.2.6

-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Post by David Wadwel » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:22:59

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 9:10:50 -0400, David Wadwell wrote

>> I had a crash the other day and performed the normal ?forced restart1
>> (control+command+power) in order to clear the freeze.  However, instead of
>> the usual MacOS logo I had a grey screen with the following message:
>> ?Welcome to OpenFirmware.  To continue booting, type 3mac-boot2 and press
>> return.1  I then had a very small MacOS logo in the middle of the screen
>> (with meaningless numbers and letters underneath) before the usual MacOS 9.1
>> logo appeared telling me it was starting up...

>> Now every time I restart I reboot into OpenFirmware and have to type the
>> magic words above.  If I start from a shut down - then everything operates
>> as normal with no OpenFirmware in sight.  Everything else seems to work OK.

>> Can anyone tell me what has happened?  And should I be concerned as all my
>> programs seem to work OK.

>> Regards,
>> David Wadwell.

>> My system is: PowerBook G3/500MHz/256Mb/20Gb/OS9.1

> I have a similar situation having to type "mac-boot" whenever the system is
> started, but _only_ if my HP 2210 "All-In-One" multifunction
> printer/fax/scanner/copier is connected at time of the restart. If I unplug
> the USB connector to the 2210 then the start is "normal" and if afterwards I
> replug the USB connectorf the 2210 functions normally. Other than this
> startup oddity everything else seems to work normally.

> I contacted HP about this startup issue and was told to not expect any
> resolution to the problem from HP.

> My system is: PowerBook G4/500MHz/512Mb/20Gb/OS-X 10.2.6

> -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Many thanks for your information - I think that it solves the mystery as I
have also recently bought and installed exactly the same HP machine as you
(HP PSC 2210 all-in-one) and , on reflection, it is only after this time
that I have been experiencing this weird behaviour.  I assumed it was as a
result of my crash - but that was only an assumption in the absence of any
other clues.  I feel a lot less concerned now.  Thanks again.

David Wadwell.

Why do I enter Open Firmware on a Restart?

Post by James L. Rya » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:36:42

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:22:59 -0400, David Wadwell wrote

[expressing concern as to why "mac-boot" had to be typed in each time his
PowerBook was started or restarted]

Quote:> Many thanks for your information - I think that it solves the mystery as I
> have also recently bought and installed exactly the same HP machine as you
> (HP PSC 2210 all-in-one) and , on reflection, it is only after this time
> that I have been experiencing this weird behaviour.  I assumed it was as a
> result of my crash - but that was only an assumption in the absence of any
> other clues.  I feel a lot less concerned now.  Thanks again.

Glad to be of some "help!" I've always been curious as to whether that
particular oddity ("mac-boot") was unique to my system. There is indeed a bit
of comfort in knowing that others (at least one other) has experienced the
exact same behavior.

I'm going to again contact HP as to whether they now have a solution. I'll
post the results here in this thread.

-- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Post by Some Gu » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:38:57

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:22:59 -0400, David Wadwell wrote

> [expressing concern as to why "mac-boot" had to be typed in each time his
> PowerBook was started or restarted]

>>Many thanks for your information - I think that it solves the mystery as I
>>have also recently bought and installed exactly the same HP machine as you
>>(HP PSC 2210 all-in-one) and , on reflection, it is only after this time
>>that I have been experiencing this weird behaviour.  I assumed it was as a
>>result of my crash - but that was only an assumption in the absence of any
>>other clues.  I feel a lot less concerned now.  Thanks again.

> Glad to be of some "help!" I've always been curious as to whether that
> particular oddity ("mac-boot") was unique to my system. There is indeed a bit
> of comfort in knowing that others (at least one other) has experienced the
> exact same behavior.

> I'm going to again contact HP as to whether they now have a solution. I'll
> post the results here in this thread.

> -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

Hi there.  I'm not too sure why that is happening.  However, you might
try typing   reset-nvram <return>, then   reset-all <return>.

I had issues with Open Firmware in the past and this resolved them for
me.  Although, admittedly my issue did not involve that particular printer.

Dan

Post by Mr Dewson » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:27:57

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:22:59 -0400, David Wadwell wrote

> [expressing concern as to why "mac-boot" had to be typed in each time his
> PowerBook was started or restarted]

> > Many thanks for your information - I think that it solves the mystery as I
> > have also recently bought and installed exactly the same HP machine as you
> > (HP PSC 2210 all-in-one) and , on reflection, it is only after this time
> > that I have been experiencing this weird behaviour.  I assumed it was as a
> > result of my crash - but that was only an assumption in the absence of any
> > other clues.  I feel a lot less concerned now.  Thanks again.

> Glad to be of some "help!" I've always been curious as to whether that
> particular oddity ("mac-boot") was unique to my system. There is indeed a bit
> of comfort in knowing that others (at least one other) has experienced the
> exact same behavior.

Type in "reset-nvram" and press Return, then type "reset-all" and press
Return again.

If this doesn't solve your problem and nothing does, remember you don't
have to type "mac-boot". You can just type "boot" and it'll start up.