Mac IIci to Mac PowerPC

Post by KN. Harris » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 20:44:21

I'm wondering if anyone has any hard facts concerning this possibility,
since the IIci is probably the easier of the MacII's to upgrade.
Is this going to happen and is Daystar going to do it. How will the IIci
memory and such fit in with an PowerPC upgrade. In particular I have a large
screen monitor with video card, is this still going to work ?
--
Karl Harrison, School of Chemistry, University of Bristol

Mac IIci to Mac PowerPC

Post by David Gutierr » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 17:10:21

> I'm wondering if anyone has any hard facts concerning this possibility,
> since the IIci is probably the easier of the MacII's to upgrade.
> Is this going to happen and is Daystar going to do it. How will the IIci
> memory and such fit in with an PowerPC upgrade. In particular I have a large
> screen monitor with video card, is this still going to work ?

DayStar will introduce a PowerMac accelerator for the IIci around August.
If it's like the PowerPro 601, it will work with your current memory, but
will also include slots for RAM on the accelerator card. Your current NuBus
cards should work with the accelerator.

--
David Gutierrez

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

Mac IIci to Mac PowerPC

Post by Tom Lipsco » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 06:56:36

>DayStar will introduce a PowerMac accelerator for the IIci around August.
>If it's like the PowerPro 601, it will work with your current memory, but
>will also include slots for RAM on the accelerator card. Your current NuBus
>cards should work with the accelerator.

>--
>David Gutierrez

As a developer, I am concerned about writing & compiling code for the
680x0 on a PPC machine.  It would be nice to have a hot-key at startup
so I could boot the 68030 on my ci for some testing, and not have to
take the card out.

Anyone know if that is possible/in the works?

Bradford Smith
Infosafe Systems, Inc.

Mac IIci to Mac PowerPC

Post by Kurt A. Seiffer » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 07:59:00

>As a developer, I am concerned about writing & compiling code for the
>680x0 on a PPC machine.  It would be nice to have a hot-key at startup
>so I could boot the 68030 on my ci for some testing, and not have to
>take the card out.

>Anyone know if that is possible/in the works?

On the Apple version of the card, which is for 68*40 only, has a
mechanism to decide whether to run from the card or from the 68K.

I would imagine Daystar does a similar thing.

*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*-

UCS, Multimedia Technologist   office ph: (812) 855-5746
IU Bloomington,IN
"No, no. I am an earthling. I just can't prove it." -- Zonker
DISCLAIMER: I don't speak for IU and IU doesn't speak for me.
            We both like it that way. ;-)

Mac IIci to Mac PowerPC

Post by Mr_G._Landweber_student_tel_2-735 » Sat, 26 Feb 1994 03:56:40

   >DayStar will introduce a PowerMac accelerator for the IIci around August.
   >If it's like the PowerPro 601, it will work with your current memory, but
   >will also include slots for RAM on the accelerator card. Your current NuBus
   >cards should work with the accelerator.
   >
   >--
   >David Gutierrez

   As a developer, I am concerned about writing & compiling code for the
   680x0 on a PPC machine.  It would be nice to have a hot-key at startup
   so I could boot the 68030 on my ci for some testing, and not have to
   take the card out.

   Anyone know if that is possible/in the works?

The Apple upgrades will let you switch between the 68040 and PowerPC
601 processors by restarting your Mac (I don't think it is a hot-key).

I don't know about the DayStar upgrades, but it sure sounds possible.

-- Greg

1. Mac IIci Wait states (was Re: Mac IIci benchmarks)

Sorry about that.

I was trying to keep the comparison between the IIcx and the IIci
simple -- perhaps too simple.

The bottom line is that the IIci takes an extra cycle for reads relative
to the IIcx (same as SE/30, IIx).

Noah:  Why does the IIci use synchronous access?  To improve the cache
performance perhaps?  What is the situation with a chache board installed?

The '030 user's manual says "The data burst enable bit must be set to
enable burst filling of the data cache."

Anyone know if this bit is set when running user code?

Larry Hutchinson, Tektronix, Inc. PO Box 500, MS 50-383, Beaverton, OR 97077
UUCP:   [uunet|ucbvax|decvax|hplabs]!tektronix!tekgvs!larryh

2. Extended Memory Manager - Details

3. PowerPC 601 Macs vs 68060 Macs

4. Shared libraries on hpux

5. Printing Problems with Word Version 6.01 on Mac OS 8.0, 8.1, 7.61 Using non-PowerPC Mac

6. Windows 2000 vpn

7. FS : Apple/MAc ram for MAc IIci

8. Pic Sent through Notes no longer good.. what to do?

9. ****FS: MAC IIci, Hayes 14.4 Smartmodem/MAC, etc.****

10. Mac IIsi vs. Mac IIci, running games

11. Mac IIcx -> Mac IIci ???

12. modem DTR signal on Mac II different than Mac IIci????????

13. Will a Mac IIci cache card work in a Mac IIcx?