My Old Color Classic

Post by 24 Carrot Ball » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:16:37

Hello everyone!!!

I have an old Macintosh Color Classic (I'm sure most of you know the type)
and I was going to use the little guy next to my musical keyboards for the
purpose of midi sequencing.  But I do have one little issue...

...okay a very big issue. In fact when I power it on it tends to have
purplish splotches on the screen, the screen flickers, lightens and darkens,
and it has a black line across the lower 1/3 of the screen.  I'm thinking
the CRT tube is going out.  I say big issue, because I'm thinking those used
to use Sony Trinton 9" (but I'm not sure on that), and I'm wondering where
to find those things at in good condition at a resonible price.

I would really like to keep the old school look on my rig, but not if it's
going to bankrupt me.

My Old Color Classic

Post by Alan Anders » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:21:00

Quote:> ...okay a very big issue. In fact when I power it on it tends to have
> purplish splotches on the screen,

That sounds like the shadow mask has gotten magnetized.  Try degaussing it
-- which is almost as much an art as it is a science.

Quote:> the screen flickers, lightens and darkens,

That sounds like a power supply issue.

Quote:> and it has a black line across the lower 1/3 of the screen.

I think that's normal.  The shadow mask is actually a grid of fine
vertical wires, and the thin horizontal shadow is a stabilizing wire.
Larger CRTs have another such shadow 1/3 of the way from the top as well.

Quote:> I'm thinking
> the CRT tube is going out.  I say big issue, because I'm thinking those used
> to use Sony Trinton 9" (but I'm not sure on that), and I'm wondering where
> to find those things at in good condition at a resonible price.

Shreve Systems has old Mac parts.  I didn't search their site for Color
Classic CRTs, but you can find them at http://www.shrevesystems.com/

1. Color Classic -> Color Classic II ?

I'd like to know if Apple has any plans what so ever to start
selling the Colour Classic II in US or Europe.

Also I'd like to know if there is an upgarde from CC -> CC II
(anywhere in the world!).

Furthermore I'd like to hear from any person that have tested
the CC II with US System 7.1 or any och the European System 7.1.
Does it work? Is there any new suspicious behavier with it
comparing with the CC?

Any news on this topic out there???

Thanx...

              /Jonas...

--
Mail: Karl Jonas Regmyr   Carl Hillsgatan 9   S-217 56 Malmoe Sweden

2. BSD socket support/API in CW/Mac?

3. Classic II, Color Classic II

4. Newbie struggling with MAPI

5. classic II or color classic????

6. Syntax highlighting in CLOS

7. Making a colour IIc 9" monitor from Mac Color Classic

8. GIVEAWAY: Vax 8650 in Medford, MA by Mar. 18

9. More Old Classic Apple II Historic Sites Discovered

10. WTB: Any old/classic computers

11. WTB: Any old/classic computer system