What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

Post by Dave » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 06:57:43

Hey gang-

A friend recently sent me a CD of vacation pictures (.jpgs) that she'd
burned on her Windows PC.   The CD wouldn't mount on my Mac (Beige G3)
and I got a dialog saying the disk was unreadable and did I want to
initialize it.

Suspecting that she'd had a buffer underrun or some other burn error, I
asked her to send another.  When it too could not be read, I got
curious.  I took the CD to work and tried it in a Windows PC.  It
mounted fine!

So, my question is, what kind of Windows formatted CD can't be read on a
Mac??  I have NEVER had any problem mounting any DOS, Windows, ISO 9660,
or Hybrid CD ever.

I asked her if she knew what format she'd burned the disk in, but she
didn't know that or for that matter what burning software she'd used.
Still- it shouldn't matter- the great thing about my Mac is I've always
been able to mount ANY CD.  And I still can- except this one!

I should mention also that it wouldn't mount in either of my CD drives-
not my internal Panasonic 24x CD-ROM or my external Yamaha 8/4/24 CD-R
drive.

My driver software is the latest Intech CD/DVD Speedtools 5.7 and I have
the full OS 9.1 complement of Foreign File access extensions.

Any guesses as to what this weird Windows CD is that will mount on a
Windows PC and not a Mac?

Thanks!

Dave

--

What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

Post by william strutt » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:32:29

Quote:> Hey gang-

> A friend recently sent me a CD of vacation pictures (.jpgs) that she'd
> burned on her Windows PC.   The CD wouldn't mount on my Mac (Beige G3)
> and I got a dialog saying the disk was unreadable and did I want to
> initialize it.

> Suspecting that she'd had a buffer underrun or some other burn error, I
> asked her to send another.  When it too could not be read, I got
> curious.  I took the CD to work and tried it in a Windows PC.  It
> mounted fine!

> So, my question is, what kind of Windows formatted CD can't be read on a
> Mac??  I have NEVER had any problem mounting any DOS, Windows, ISO 9660,
> or Hybrid CD ever.

> I asked her if she knew what format she'd burned the disk in, but she
> didn't know that or for that matter what burning software she'd used.
> Still- it shouldn't matter- the great thing about my Mac is I've always
> been able to mount ANY CD.  And I still can- except this one!

> I should mention also that it wouldn't mount in either of my CD drives-
> not my internal Panasonic 24x CD-ROM or my external Yamaha 8/4/24 CD-R
> drive.

> My driver software is the latest Intech CD/DVD Speedtools 5.7 and I have
> the full OS 9.1 complement of Foreign File access extensions.

> Any guesses as to what this weird Windows CD is that will mount on a
> Windows PC and not a Mac?

> Thanks!

> Dave

Joilet file system?? You can get an extension to mount those.
My question is can you mount a Roxio Direct CD on a Mac
that was formatted on a PC. If I don't close the disk, the Mac
won't read it but I hate to waste a cd just for a couple of files.
Is it possible to mount CR-RW's on older Macs with 2X
drives? We are talking about a Mac Performa 575 with a
680LC40 processor and System 7.5.5 on it.

C'est moi!  http://www.facelink.com/wrstrutts

Just hacking away...

Remove nospam to reply.

What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

Post by Professor Frin » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:32:35

Quote:

> Any guesses as to what this weird Windows CD is that will mount on a
> Windows PC and not a Mac?

I was having a hell of a time mounting a Windows-burned CD on my G3
recently.  In desperation, I installed two extensions -- 'Joke Ridge'
and 'Joliet Volume Access,' both of which can be found on Version
Tracker.  I don't know which one worked, but I was finally able to
access the data.

HTH -
Frinky
--
I'll have these babies on the market while he's still
grappling with the pickle matrix.  Hoo-hay!

Post by Barry All » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:05:33

> Joilet file system??

Hi william,

That's my guess.

Quote:> Is it possible to mount CD-RW's on older Macs with 2X
> drives? We are talking about a Mac Performa 575 with a
> 680LC40 processor and System 7.5.5 on it.

FWIW, CD-RWs created on my Yamaha 6-4-16SX won't mount on my older Apple
external 2x 300e on my IIsi, nor will they mount on my internal 8x CD-ROM
on my 6400/200. My G4/450 however will mount them. Not sure where the
starting point for the capability is, but my guess is probably the Bondi
blue and white G3s.

Anyone out there know for sure?

Barry Allen

What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

Post by Wayne C. Morri » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:03:39

Quote:> > Any guesses as to what this weird Windows CD is that will mount on a
> > Windows PC and not a Mac?

> Joilet file system?? You can get an extension to mount those.

No, Joliet is just the standard ISO 9660 format with some extra
information.  A Mac can read them just fine without the Joliet extension
-- it'll just see the short (8.3) DOS-style filenames instead of the
Windows long filenames.

Post by Wayne C. Morri » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:07:36

Quote:> Any guesses as to what this weird Windows CD is that will mount on a
> Windows PC and not a Mac?

My guess is that when she burned the CD, she left it "open" so more
files could be added later.  Mac OS doesn't seem to like discs like that.

Post by David Emps » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:36:16

> > Any guesses as to what this weird Windows CD is that will mount on a
> > Windows PC and not a Mac?

> My guess is that when she burned the CD, she left it "open" so more
> files could be added later.  Mac OS doesn't seem to like discs like that.

It depends on what you are referring to.  If you use session-based CD
writing software like Easy CD Creator or Toast, then most of them insist
on finishing the session, leaving a link to the next session (which
isn't written yet).  I regularly burn ISO 9600 CDs like this, and my
Macs have no trouble reading them.

Some software (notably DirectCD) has the ability to write data without
finishing the session - no table of contents is written, and while in
that state, the CD cannot be read by any normal CD-ROM drive (only a CD
writer, and even then you need the right software).  It is necessary to
"close" the CD in order to read it in a normal CD-ROM drive.

I'd say that the most likely explanation is that the CD was written
using DirectCD on a PC.

If the media is CD-R, then it must have been "closed" in order to be
readable on a CD-ROM drive, and will be using ISO 9660 level 3, which is
not supported by the Mac's standard drivers.  You need to install Joliet
Volume Access in order to read this ISO variant.

If the media is CD-RW, then it will be using one flavour of the UDF file
system, and you may need to install Adaptec's UDF support extension in
order to read it.  Older CD-ROM drives won't be able to access CD-RW
media at all.

Post by Matt Neubu » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:00:59

> A friend recently sent me a CD of vacation pictures (.jpgs) that she'd
> burned on her Windows PC.   The CD wouldn't mount on my Mac (Beige G3)
> and I got a dialog saying the disk was unreadable and did I want to
> initialize it.

> Suspecting that she'd had a buffer underrun or some other burn error, I
> asked her to send another.  When it too could not be read, I got
> curious.  I took the CD to work and tried it in a Windows PC.  It
> mounted fine!

> So, my question is, what kind of Windows formatted CD can't be read on a
> Mac

A Windows CD made with the Windows version of Toast. To solve this
problem, download the special Adaptec UDF Volume Access extension from the
Roxio site. m.

--

          *** REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! ***
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt

Post by Dave » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:19:53

> I'd say that the most likely explanation is that the CD was written
> using DirectCD on a PC.

David and all-

Thanks for the many useful inputs.  It turns out that the above was the
problem.  Apparently written with DirectCD in some sort of UDF
packet-writing mode.

I downloaded the UDF extension from the Roxio website, but initially it
didn't work.  I had to disable my CD/DVD Speedtools extension and then
enable the Toast CD Reader extension.  And even then, the UDF volume
would mount only on my Yamaha CD-R, not on my Panasonic CD-ROM.

I'd like to ask my friend in the future to have DirectCD burn it in
standard ISO 9660 format.  Can DirectCD do that?

Dave

--

Post by Remy Daviso » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:27:36

Quote:>> Is it possible to mount CD-RW's on older Macs with 2X
>> drives? We are talking about a Mac Performa 575 with a
>> 680LC40 processor and System 7.5.5 on it.

>FWIW, CD-RWs created on my Yamaha 6-4-16SX won't mount on my older Apple
>external 2x 300e on my IIsi, nor will they mount on my internal 8x CD-ROM
>on my 6400/200. My G4/450 however will mount them. Not sure where the
>starting point for the capability is, but my guess is probably the Bondi
>blue and white G3s.

>Anyone out there know for sure?

Not for sure, but I think Barry's right: CDRW read capability most
likely started on the Bondi iMac. Wallstreets with DVD-ROM can read them
(but not the Wallstreet with a CD ROM). All Lombards and later
PowerBooks can read CDRW. B&W G3s can also read them.

Cheers,

RD

--
RD's PowerBook Page:
<www.macpowerbook.com>

Post by Neill Massel » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 04:21:46

> FWIW, CD-RWs created on my Yamaha 6-4-16SX won't mount on my older Apple
> external 2x 300e on my IIsi, nor will they mount on my internal 8x CD-ROM
> on my 6400/200. My G4/450 however will mount them. Not sure where the
> starting point for the capability is, but my guess is probably the Bondi
> blue and white G3s.

Before then, I think. I'm pretty sure that the 24X SCSI drive that
shipped in some pre-G3 Power Macs in 1997 could read CD-RWs.

Post by David Emps » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:52:29

> > FWIW, CD-RWs created on my Yamaha 6-4-16SX won't mount on my older Apple
> > external 2x 300e on my IIsi, nor will they mount on my internal 8x CD-ROM
> > on my 6400/200. My G4/450 however will mount them. Not sure where the
> > starting point for the capability is, but my guess is probably the Bondi
> > blue and white G3s.

> Before then, I think. I'm pretty sure that the 24X SCSI drive that
> shipped in some pre-G3 Power Macs in 1997 could read CD-RWs.

My 8600/250 (mid to late 1997, bought just before the G3s were
announced) has a 24x SCSI CD-ROM drive, and it used to be able to read
CD-RW media.  It now doesn't read either CD-R or CD-RW, but as I have my
CD writer on this machine, it hasn't been a major problem.

I expect the lens is dirty or the mechanism has worn somewhat, since I
used it quite often for for listening to audio CDs.

Post by Katharine » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:58:21

> > Hey gang-

> > A friend recently sent me a CD of vacation pictures (.jpgs) that she'd
> > burned on her Windows PC.   The CD wouldn't mount on my Mac (Beige G3)
> > and I got a dialog saying the disk was unreadable and did I want to
> > initialize it.

> Joilet file system??

snipped

That shouldn't make it unreadable, just cause problems with long file names.

Maybe the disk wasn't closed, ie was a multisession disk. I'm not sure about
it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Mac couldn't read a PC disk unless it
was a single session and closed.

--
Katharine S.
spamblock in action

What kinda weird CD won't mount on a Mac??

Post by Barry All » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:54:43

 I'm not sure about

Quote:> it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Mac couldn't read a PC disk unless it
> was a single session and closed.

Baloney.

The Macintosh reads ISO-9660 (PC format) multi session CDs just fine. Ever
since System 7.x. It has to be a fairly new CD ROM drive (say 96' and
later). Ever heard of Toast for Christ's sake?

Barry Allen

Post by Katharine » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:36:04

>  I'm not sure about
> > it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Mac couldn't read a PC disk unless
it
> > was a single session and closed.

> Baloney.

> The Macintosh reads ISO-9660 (PC format) multi session CDs just fine. Ever
> since System 7.x. It has to be a fairly new CD ROM drive (say 96' and
> later). Ever heard of Toast for Christ's sake?

Well hi to you to. Did you get out of bed on the wrong side today?

Correcting information is one thing, this kind of rudeness is another.

1. io-magic usb cdrw, mounts cd but won't burn

System 10.1.3, then 10.2, no dice, same errors.

I have an I/O Magic cdrw, usb cdrw, which is usable as a drive, mounting and
reading discs. No matter which tool I try, it fails to burn a cd.

Any ideas, I would like to use command-line utilities to backup and transfer
files.

Thanks!

2. REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

3. Help! CDs won't mount

4. To: USR Please address all Upgrade Wizard Problems!

5. CD from PC won't mount in 9.2.1.

6. help problems

7. freebie CD-ROM won't mount

8. AI reference sought.

9. CD-ROM player won't read Data CD's

10. HELP: Mac Hardrive won't mount

11. Mac suddenly won't recognize audio CD's

12. Mounting DOS/WIN CDs

13. Audio CDs made with Que won't play in CD players