1. startup/shutdown problems with external FireWire drive under OS X
I recently purchased a 200GB Western Digital IDE drive and a MacPower
"Manta" FireWire enclosure. The enclosure uses an updated version of the
Oxford 911 chipset and is able to address drives > 137GB. The
drive/enclosure combination has given me lots of problems under OSX, so
I thought someone in this group might have some insight.
The first problem is that the OS X disk utility was unable to
successfully partition and format the drive. I did manage to create a
single partition on it, though, and was able to boot into OS 9 and
initialize the partition with the Mac OS Extended filesystem.
After shutting down 9 and booting back into OS X, I can mount the drive
just fine. However, if I attempt to shut X down without unmounting the
drive, the shutdown process will hang. I suppose X is running a check on
the disk or something, but I never get past the clock-like spinning icon
unless I power off the external drive. If I do power off the external
drive during shutdown, it won't be accessible on restart - I get the
"waiting on drives" message during startup (yes, I am turning the
enclosure back on).
My first thought was that powering off the enclosure during shutdown had
somehow corrupted the disk's filesystem, but the really wierd part is
that I can boot into 9 and 9 sees the external disk perfectly. 9 also
apparently repairs whatever is wrong with the disk, because I can reboot
into X and use the drive.
I've thought about purchasing one of the various disk utilities (Norton,
DriveTool, etc), but don't know which if any is worth the money. If
anybody has any insight/experience into this kind of problem I'd love to
hear about it. My complete system specs are:
15" LCD iMac (800MHz G4 with SuperDrive)
60GB internal HD
OS X 10.2.3
Thanks in advance,
2. Need info/tests on top 3 IP Routers
3. FTP Access to External Drive in OS X
4. Compact Flash TV cards?
5. OS X with internal SCSI drive and external SCSI burner
6. ip address lease insanity
7. ** WANTED: Iomega Zip Drive or external Syquest Drive for Mac **
8. TI85/86: programmes divers...
9. Printing Problems with Word Version 6.01 on Mac OS 8.0, 8.1, 7.61 Using non-PowerPC Mac
10. "FREE" MAC OS 7.5 UPDATE 2.0 & MAC OS 8 TOUR CD
11. Mac OS X Gripeline (was; Mac OS X)
12. Problems with IBM external floppy drive power supply (for Trackstar 128/Apple II application)