Audio Recording on a G4 under OS X

Post by Alan Frase » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:57:16

I have a USB Audio Interface that can be used for MIDI or analog devices
such as guitar / microphone.  MIDI input is accepted and there is no
problem with it.  However, any attempt to do analog recording (Bias Deck
software) results in highly-distorted, echoing sound.  Does anyone have
any idea what might cause this problem?

Post by Jim Schim » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:17:47

> I have a USB Audio Interface that can be used for MIDI or analog devices
> such as guitar / microphone.  MIDI input is accepted and there is no
> problem with it.  However, any attempt to do analog recording (Bias Deck
> software) results in highly-distorted, echoing sound.  Does anyone have
> any idea what might cause this problem?

Which OS are you using OS X or OX 9, the sound system and problems are
quite different
on the different OS's.   Recordingvia USB works just fine on my G4.
One thing to check does your USB device have its own microphone ?  I
had one that did and it didn't shut off when I plugged into line in.
I got room and ambient noise in addition to the program.

--jim

Post by Alan Frase » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:59:36

> > I have a USB Audio Interface that can be used for MIDI or analog devices
> > such as guitar / microphone.  MIDI input is accepted and there is no
> > problem with it.  However, any attempt to do analog recording (Bias Deck
> > software) results in highly-distorted, echoing sound.  Does anyone have
> > any idea what might cause this problem?

> Which OS are you using OS X or OX 9, the sound system and problems are
> quite different
> on the different OS's.   Recordingvia USB works just fine on my G4.
> One thing to check does your USB device have its own microphone ?  I
> had one that did and it didn't shut off when I plugged into line in.
> I got room and ambient noise in addition to the program.

> --jim

I'm running OS X 10.2.6 but the release of OS X doesn't seem to make any
difference.  The device is an Audio MIDI Quattro with four analog inputs
but only one is in use.  What specifications do you use in the Apple
Audio MIDI routine??