Firewire CD-RW for new (DVD) iBook AND Sony VAIO?

Firewire CD-RW for new (DVD) iBook AND Sony VAIO?

Post by Aldo Manfro » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 05:00:09

Hi all,

I am going to buy one of the new iBooks (also my first Mac) and since my wife has a VAIO laptop with DVD,
I was thinking of buying the DVD version, and buy a Firewire CD-RW to use with both for back-ups.
Anyone has suggestions for a good one?

I am not looking for speed (8x4xXx would be enough) but I would like BURNProof technology (or equivalent).
Also, I would like to burn in OS X and Win ME (on the VAIO).
Portability is NOT a concern, price is more important (around $250 maybe?)
Reliability is very important.

I know LaCie and QPS make drives, but as I said, I am new to the Mac and dont know how good these brands are.

Thanks a lot in advance!
AJM

Firewire CD-RW for new (DVD) iBook AND Sony VAIO?

Post by Graymalki » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:57:23

LaCie makes pretty good CD burners from waht I understand, my friends have
never had problems with them. I've got a 99 G3 Powerbook so I don't have
Firewire and wouldn't know personally ;). You've also got two options with a
Firewire based drive. You can either get a portable (powered by the Firewire
cable) or a desktop (external power supply) one. I would suggest the desktop
version if you're going to be keeping a close eye on the price. Check out
macmall.com for retail prices on the major brands of CD writers, then head
over to pricewatch.com to look for lower prices than macmall.com. I think
for the most part anything you get will be fairly portable since that makes
the drive manufacturers more money. They get to produce a single peiece of
hardware they can sell to two different user groups. I hope that helps.

Steve

> Hi all,

> I am going to buy one of the new iBooks (also my first Mac) and since my

wife has a VAIO laptop with DVD,
Quote:> I was thinking of buying the DVD version, and buy a Firewire CD-RW to use

with both for back-ups.
Quote:> Anyone has suggestions for a good one?

> I am not looking for speed (8x4xXx would be enough) but I would like

BURNProof technology (or equivalent).
Quote:> Also, I would like to burn in OS X and Win ME (on the VAIO).