Yahoo mail

Post by Mr. Underhil » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:48:07

I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but I was wondering if this might be an
incompatibility issue with the Yahoo! Mail website and Mac OS browsers.

I have my log in page (secure) bookmarked with my username saved.  So, in
other words, when I click the bookmark in my browser, it takes me to the
secure log in with my username already entered.  Well, as of yesterday, when
I log out, the page signs me completely out.  Even if I go back and save
username first!  It does this with Safari, OmniWeb, Internet Explorer, and
iCab!  What gives?

TIA

Yahoo mail

Post by Ramón G Casta?ed » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:55:23

Quote:> I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but I was wondering if this might be an
> incompatibility issue with the Yahoo! Mail website and Mac OS browsers.

> I have my log in page (secure) bookmarked with my username saved.  So, in
> other words, when I click the bookmark in my browser, it takes me to the
> secure log in with my username already entered.  Well, as of yesterday, when
> I log out, the page signs me completely out.  Even if I go back and save
> username first!  It does this with Safari, OmniWeb, Internet Explorer, and
> iCab!  What gives?

> TIA

If I log out of Yahoo mail, Yahoo logs me out.  This happens to me both on
the PC (Windows 98) at work and the Mac here at home.

 I believe this is the way Yahoo intends it to work.

 This is to block another user on your computer from going into your private
account, and to let anyone else using your computer (like your wife or your
brother) access their account.    If you don't want to log in everytime,
don't logout.

 Even then, Yahoo may ask you for your password again, though not your user
name.

---
Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

Yahoo mail

Post by Chri » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:28:16

In article

Quote:> I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but I was wondering if this might be an
> incompatibility issue with the Yahoo! Mail website and Mac OS browsers.

> I have my log in page (secure) bookmarked with my username saved.  So, in
> other words, when I click the bookmark in my browser, it takes me to the
> secure log in with my username already entered.  Well, as of yesterday, when
> I log out, the page signs me completely out.  Even if I go back and save
> username first!  It does this with Safari, OmniWeb, Internet Explorer, and
> iCab!  What gives?

> TIA

They definitly changed something.  I have been logging onto their site
to check mail and up until two days ago when logging out you had to log
out twice to get all the way out, the first just logging you out of your
mail.  Now you are all the way out and if you want to then check groups
you go to the groups page and log in there.

Yahoo mail

Post by Mr. Underhil » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:35:58

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 0:55:23 -0400, Ramn G Casta?eda wrote

>> I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but I was wondering if this might be an
>> incompatibility issue with the Yahoo! Mail website and Mac OS browsers.

>> I have my log in page (secure) bookmarked with my username saved.  So, in
>> other words, when I click the bookmark in my browser, it takes me to the
>> secure log in with my username already entered.  Well, as of yesterday,
>> when
>> I log out, the page signs me completely out.  Even if I go back and save
>> username first!  It does this with Safari, OmniWeb, Internet Explorer, and
>> iCab!  What gives?

>> TIA

> If I log out of Yahoo mail, Yahoo logs me out.  This happens to me both on
> the PC (Windows 98) at work and the Mac here at home.

>  I believe this is the way Yahoo intends it to work.

>  This is to block another user on your computer from going into your private
> account, and to let anyone else using your computer (like your wife or your
> brother) access their account.    If you don't want to log in everytime,
> don't logout.

>  Even then, Yahoo may ask you for your password again, though not your user
> name.

> ---
> Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
> ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
> Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

Well, it used to allow me to bookmark the page with the username filled in.
This behaviour only changed a few days ago.  In other words, the "Remember my
ID on this computer" button no longer functions.

Yahoo mail

Post by Mr. Underhil » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:37:50

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:28:16 -0400, Chris wrote

> In article

>> I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but I was wondering if this might be
>> an
>> incompatibility issue with the Yahoo! Mail website and Mac OS browsers.

>> I have my log in page (secure) bookmarked with my username saved.  So, in
>> other words, when I click the bookmark in my browser, it takes me to the
>> secure log in with my username already entered.  Well, as of yesterday,
>> when
>> I log out, the page signs me completely out.  Even if I go back and save
>> username first!  It does this with Safari, OmniWeb, Internet Explorer, and
>> iCab!  What gives?

>> TIA

> They definitly changed something.  I have been logging onto their site
> to check mail and up until two days ago when logging out you had to log
> out twice to get all the way out, the first just logging you out of your
> mail.  Now you are all the way out and if you want to then check groups
> you go to the groups page and log in there.

Righto, the "Remember my ID on this computer " button is broken.  I don't
know if this happens to have anything to do with it (especially because the
behavior is the same despite the browser), but it became broken the same day
the release of Safari 1.0.

Yahoo mail

Post by D Ma » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:15:06

> I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but I was wondering if this might
> be an  incompatibility issue with the Yahoo! Mail website and Mac OS
> browsers.

> I have my log in page (secure) bookmarked with my username saved.  So,
> in  other words, when I click the bookmark in my browser, it takes me
> to the  secure log in with my username already entered.  Well, as of
> yesterday, when  I log out, the page signs me completely out.  Even if
> I go back and save  username first!  It does this with Safari, OmniWeb,
> Internet Explorer, and  iCab!  What gives?

> TIA

Works fine for me on Camino 0.7 and 10.2.6...

Yahoo mail

Post by Mr. Underhil » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:30:16

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 3:15:06 -0400, D Man wrote

>> I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but I was wondering if this might
>> be an  incompatibility issue with the Yahoo! Mail website and Mac OS
>> browsers.

>> I have my log in page (secure) bookmarked with my username saved.  So,
>> in  other words, when I click the bookmark in my browser, it takes me
>> to the  secure log in with my username already entered.  Well, as of
>> yesterday, when  I log out, the page signs me completely out.  Even if
>> I go back and save  username first!  It does this with Safari, OmniWeb,
>> Internet Explorer, and  iCab!  What gives?

>> TIA

> Works fine for me on Camino 0.7 and 10.2.6...

Well, I get the message "You have signed out of the Yahoo! network." This
used to take two "sign outs".  One to sign out of mail, another to sign
completely out.  Just another example of a poorly written JavaScrip probably.
 (Pining for the days of simple HTML websites).

Yahoo mail

Post by Ramón G Casta?ed » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:08:31

Quote:> Well, I get the message "You have signed out of the Yahoo! network." This
> used to take two "sign outs".  One to sign out of mail, another to sign
> completely out.  Just another example of a poorly written JavaScrip probably.
> (Pining for the days of simple HTML websites).

Just checked it:  I got both of the log out messages.  Mac OS 9.2.2, MS IE
5.1.6 (5010).

---
Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

Yahoo mail

Post by Mr. Underhil » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:01:27

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 0:08:31 -0400, Ramn G Casta?eda wrote

>> Well, I get the message "You have signed out of the Yahoo! network." This
>> used to take two "sign outs".  One to sign out of mail, another to sign
>> completely out.  Just another example of a poorly written JavaScrip
>> probably.
>> (Pining for the days of simple HTML websites).

> Just checked it:  I got both of the log out messages.  Mac OS 9.2.2, MS IE
> 5.1.6 (5010).

> ---
> Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
> ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
> Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

After getting a canned answer the first time, I e-mailed the Yahoo Help
center again.  The following is the answer I received:

"Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Mail.

We believe the problem you are experiencing may be occurring if your are
signing out of your Yahoo! account.

Recently the sign-out process for Yahoo! Mail was changed.  Before when you
clicked the "Sign Out" link in Yahoo! Mail, there was an additional option to
"Sign out completely."  If you only clicked the first link and did not sign
out completely, you remained signed in to your Yahoo! account and only signed
out of the Mail portion of your account.  This is why when you returned to
Yahoo! Mail, you were prompted only for your password.

Now when signing out of Yahoo! Mail, our system signs you out of your entire
Yahoo! account.  This allows you to sign out of your entire account with just
one step rather than two.  The previous method was also confusing to some
users because they falsely believed that they were signing out of their
entire account when in fact they were only signed out of Mail.  This option
is no longer available -- you can now exit the entire Yahoo! network by
signing just out once.

If you ever click the "Sign Out" link, the "Remember my ID on this computer"
feature will not work.  Signing out of your account erases the cookie that is
set on your computer when you select the "Remember my ID" option.  The
purpose of this feature is to allow you to close your web browser and then
return to Yahoo! at a later time without having to re-enter your ID and
password.  The convenience of this feature is that you will never have to
sign out of or sign in to your account -- your browser will remember this
information for you (unless you delete your cookies or upgrade your system).

If you would like to not be prompted to enter your ID and password each time
you visit Yahoo!, please do not click the "Sign out" link.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards,

Yahoo! Customer Care

For assistance with all Yahoo! services, please visit:

http://help.yahoo.com/"

Yahoo mail

Post by Ramón G Casta?ed » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:22:13

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 0:08:31 -0400, Ramn G Casta?eda wrote

>>> Well, I get the message "You have signed out of the Yahoo! network." This
>>> used to take two "sign outs".  One to sign out of mail, another to sign
>>> completely out.  Just another example of a poorly written JavaScrip
>>> probably.
>>> (Pining for the days of simple HTML websites).

>> Just checked it:  I got both of the log out messages.  Mac OS 9.2.2, MS IE
>> 5.1.6 (5010).

>> ---
>> Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
>> ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
>> Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

> After getting a canned answer the first time, I e-mailed the Yahoo Help
> center again.  The following is the answer I received:

> "Hello,

> Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Mail.

> We believe the problem you are experiencing may be occurring if your are
> signing out of your Yahoo! account.

> Recently the sign-out process for Yahoo! Mail was changed.  Before when you
> clicked the "Sign Out" link in Yahoo! Mail, there was an additional option to
> "Sign out completely."  If you only clicked the first link and did not sign
> out completely, you remained signed in to your Yahoo! account and only signed
> out of the Mail portion of your account.  This is why when you returned to
> Yahoo! Mail, you were prompted only for your password.

> Now when signing out of Yahoo! Mail, our system signs you out of your entire
> Yahoo! account.  This allows you to sign out of your entire account with just
> one step rather than two.  The previous method was also confusing to some
> users because they falsely believed that they were signing out of their
> entire account when in fact they were only signed out of Mail.  This option
> is no longer available -- you can now exit the entire Yahoo! network by
> signing just out once.

> If you ever click the "Sign Out" link, the "Remember my ID on this computer"
> feature will not work.  Signing out of your account erases the cookie that is
> set on your computer when you select the "Remember my ID" option.  The
> purpose of this feature is to allow you to close your web browser and then
> return to Yahoo! at a later time without having to re-enter your ID and
> password.  The convenience of this feature is that you will never have to
> sign out of or sign in to your account -- your browser will remember this
> information for you (unless you delete your cookies or upgrade your system).

> If you would like to not be prompted to enter your ID and password each time
> you visit Yahoo!, please do not click the "Sign out" link.

> Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

> Regards,

> Yahoo! Customer Care

> For assistance with all Yahoo! services, please visit:

> http://help.yahoo.com/"

It seems the change so far does not apply if your Yahoo mail is configured
for a language other than English, regardless of the sign-in gateway used.
For instance, anyone who goes to options/preferences and chooses Spanish as
the preferred language and Spain as the country of location, will
automatically see everything in Spanish.  I just logged in and out less than
three minutes ago, and I saw BOTH logout screens, one after the other.

---
Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

Yahoo mail

Post by Mr. Underhil » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:27:36

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:22:13 -0400, Ramn G Casta?eda wrote

>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 0:08:31 -0400, Ramn G Casta?eda wrote

>>> Mr.

> [...]

>> Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

>> Regards,

>> Yahoo! Customer Care

>> For assistance with all Yahoo! services, please visit:

>> http://help.yahoo.com/"

> It seems the change so far does not apply if your Yahoo mail is configured
> for a language other than English, regardless of the sign-in gateway used.
> For instance, anyone who goes to options/preferences and chooses Spanish as
> the preferred language and Spain as the country of location, will
> automatically see everything in Spanish.  I just logged in and out less than
> three minutes ago, and I saw BOTH logout screens, one after the other.

> ---
> Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
> ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
> Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

Try setting your location for U.S.  It seems that either they have not gotten
to changing all the other locations or they have only done this to Americans!

Yahoo mail

Post by Ramón G Casta?ed » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:19:27

Quote:> Try setting your location for U.S.  It seems that either they have not gotten
> to changing all the other locations or they have only done this to Americans!

:-)

 Thanks, but no thanks.  I take your word for it, 100%.

 It's a safe bet that you wouldn't be willing to change your language and
location settings just to see what happens.  Neither am I.

---
Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

Yahoo mail

Post by Mr. Underhil » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:26:19

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:19:27 -0400, Ramn G Casta?eda wrote

>> Try setting your location for U.S.  It seems that either they have not
>> gotten
>> to changing all the other locations or they have only done this to
>> Americans!

>> -)

>  Thanks, but no thanks.  I take your word for it, 100%.

>  It's a safe bet that you wouldn't be willing to change your language and
> location settings just to see what happens.  Neither am I.

> ---
> Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
> ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
> Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

Well, you're wrong, I tried it with Germany in Deutsch (I don't read
Espa?ol).  It had the same behavior as the U.S./English settings.  The log
out behavior HAS been changed as per Yahoo, officially.

Yahoo mail

Post by Ramón G Casta?ed » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:51:26

Quote:> ell, you're wrong, I tried it with Germany in Deutsch (I don't read
> Espa?ol).  It had the same behavior as the U.S./English settings.  The log
> out behavior HAS been changed as per Yahoo, officially.

Did you change your location settings, or just the language?  Just curious.

---

Post by Ramón G Casta?ed » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:49:55

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:19:27 -0400, Ramn G Casta?eda wrote

>>> Try setting your location for U.S.  It seems that either they have not
>>> gotten
>>> to changing all the other locations or they have only done this to
>>> Americans!

>>> -)

>>  Thanks, but no thanks.  I take your word for it, 100%.

>>  It's a safe bet that you wouldn't be willing to change your language and
>> location settings just to see what happens.  Neither am I.

>> ---
>> Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
>> ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
>> Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

> Well, you're wrong, I tried it with Germany in Deutsch (I don't read
> Espa?ol).  It had the same behavior as the U.S./English settings.  The log
> out behavior HAS been changed as per Yahoo, officially.

Not here.  I just tried it AGAIN, at 8:48 PM Pacific Time.

---
Please remove NOSPAM to reply privately if you are so inclined,
ramoncNOSPAM at NOSPAMsurewest dot NOSPAM netNOSPAM.
Otherwise, replies to the Newsgroup are always welcome.

1. Returned mail: Unable to deliver mail

554 alphalpha!apple.com!info-apple... Recipient names must be specified