Mac II SIMM upgrade?

Post by Jeff Sulliv » Thu, 13 Aug 1992 04:41:23

I'm thinking of moving my Mac II from 5MB to 8 (pulling the 4 256K
SIMMs and replacing them with 1M SIMMS).  The questions:

1.  What is the fastest SIMM speed that makes any difference for the
II?  100ns?  80ns?  (Will a faster SIMM make ANY difference?)

2.  DO I have to match the speed of SIMM in my current bank of 1M
SIMMs?

Thanks,

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan             | Research Scientist at small

Mac II SIMM upgrade?

Post by Steve Stran » Thu, 13 Aug 1992 02:37:25

>   I'm thinking of moving my Mac II from 5MB to 8 (pulling the 4 256K
>   SIMMs and replacing them with 1M SIMMS).  The questions:
>   1.  What is the fastest SIMM speed that makes any difference for the
>   II?  100ns?  80ns?  (Will a faster SIMM make ANY difference?)

        No.

Quote:>   2.  DO I have to match the speed of SIMM in my current bank of 1M
>   SIMMs?

        No.

Quote:>   Thanks,
>   jas

You're welcome.

        Steve
|   Steve Strange            |   Opinions expressed are my own and not      |
|   Digital Equipment Corp.  |   necessarily those of my employer, or       |
|   Nashua, NH 03062-2698    |   of anyone else, for that matter.           |

1. Putting SIMMs into Mac II --- Are all SIMMs the same?

I have a 5-year old Mac II with 2 Meg RAM (8x256K SIMMs). Now I want
to upgrade the memory to 4 Meg. According to the Owner's guide, the
SIMMs can contain RAM chips with densities of either 256Kbits or
1 Mbit. So I went out and ordered four 60ns 1M SIMMs. I then took out all
eight SIMMs and put the four new 1M SIMMs in Bank A. As you might have
guessed, the machine could not even boot up.

I noticed that my 1M SIMM has only 3 chips instead of 8 or 9 chips
on a single module. I know the SIMMs are OK because they are flawless
when I put them in a 386 IBM compatible.

So, what is going on here? I should have ordered the SIMMs from a Mac
dealer and told them it is for Mac II specifically.

What specifics, besides the size and speed, should I ask for if I buy
the SIMMs from a non-Mac dealer?

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated. Email or post.

== Yury ==

2. CANON S600 QUESTION

3. SuperMac upgrading board 1M SIMMs upgrade HELP

4. 10.20 ethernet ieee802 -> 11.0 ????

5. Mac v PC HD $$ (Was: PC SIMM price != Mac SIMM price???)

6. XMark

7. Mac II SIMMs/FPU to an LC II ?

8. connecting to ISP with IOS?

9. Can 256k simms be used to upgrade a Mac SE

10. Mac IIx vs. Dove 68030 upgrades; PC boards for SIMMs?

11. need advice on Mac IIsi simm upgrade

12. Will Mac SE/+ 256K SIMMs work on a Mac II?