HTML editor for Mac OS X?

Post by Mike » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 05:59:02

I need a good and free HTML editor for Mac OS X. If it has templates, then it's a plus.
I've used Netscape Composer on my Windows machine, but doesn't like it too much.
Any recommendations?

HTML editor for Mac OS X?

Post by tomm » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:33:44

> I need a good and free HTML editor for Mac OS X. If it has templates, then
> it's a plus.
> I've used Netscape Composer on my Windows machine, but doesn't like it too
> much.
> Any recommendations?

http://www.tacosw.com/

/tommy

HTML editor for Mac OS X?

Post by Mr. Underhil » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:29:26

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:59:02 -0400, Mike wrote

Quote:> I need a good and free HTML editor for Mac OS X. If it has templates, then
> it's a plus.
> I've used Netscape Composer on my Windows machine, but doesn't like it too
> much.
> Any recommendations?

"I've used Netscape Composer on my Windows machine, but doesn't like it too
much."  Sounds like you need a grammar checker too!  :-D

Seriously, maybe you could use BBEdit?  There's a Classic and an OS X version
available.

http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml

HTML editor for Mac OS X?

Post by Alan Zisma » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:27:48

>I need a good and free HTML editor for Mac OS X. If it has templates, then it's a plus.
>I've used Netscape Composer on my Windows machine, but doesn't like it too much.
>Any recommendations?

On both the Windows and Mac platforms, the market for WYSIWYG
entry-level web page programs sort of shriveled up... there used to be
at least three $100 programs that were a couple of steps up from
Composer: Adobe PageMill, Symantec VisualPage, and Claris HomePage--
each with both Mac and Windows versions.

None are being produced any longer-- and there were never OS X
versions of any of them.

(I suspect part of the reason for the decline of this market segment
was the inclusion of Front Page in some versions of (Windows-only)
Microsoft Office, as well as the ability of Word, MS Publisher, and a
number of other programs to directly to create (poor quality, bloated)
web pages.

Someone else recommended BBEdit-- and excellent choice if you're
comfortable working with HTML code; since you mentioned Composer, I
suspect that's not the case.

Composer is available for Mac OS X, in both Netscape and Mozilla
flavours. Personally, it's what I use.

What didn't you like about it?

HTML editor for Mac OS X?

Post by Mike » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:59:43

Quote:> "I've used Netscape Composer on my Windows machine, but doesn't like it too
> much."  Sounds like you need a grammar checker too!  :-D

I don't like it. Ok? :-)
I'm Swedish.

Quote:

> Seriously, maybe you could use BBEdit?  There's a Classic and an OS X version
> available.

> http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml

Thanks

HTML editor for Mac OS X?

Post by Mike » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:04:06

Quote:

> Someone else recommended BBEdit-- and excellent choice if you're
> comfortable working with HTML code; since you mentioned Composer, I
> suspect that's not the case.

I have a master's degree in computer science and have used HTML since around 1991 or 1992.
It's not rocket science for me.

Quote:

> Composer is available for Mac OS X, in both Netscape and Mozilla
> flavours. Personally, it's what I use.

> What didn't you like about it?

I usually start with Composer to do the layout and the continue in an ordinary text editor,
but I've noticed that Composer sometimes produces awful code, which doesn't work well
across both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer. And it's sluggish. And IIRC it doesn't
have templates. And no (good) frame functions.

HTML editor for Mac OS X?

Post by Alan Zisma » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:55:42

>> Someone else recommended BBEdit-- and excellent choice if you're
>> comfortable working with HTML code; since you mentioned Composer, I
>> suspect that's not the case.

>I have a master's degree in computer science and have used HTML since around 1991 or 1992.
>It's not rocket science for me.

>> Composer is available for Mac OS X, in both Netscape and Mozilla
>> flavours. Personally, it's what I use.

>> What didn't you like about it?

>I usually start with Composer to do the layout and the continue in an ordinary text editor,
>but I've noticed that Composer sometimes produces awful code, which doesn't work well
>across both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer. And it's sluggish. And IIRC it doesn't
>have templates. And no (good) frame functions.

Good response... I find the OS X versions sluggish, as well-- the
Windows version is better that way.

Personally, I find the lack of frames a plus, as frames are, in my
opinion, a bad design-habit-- they don't print well, cause problems
for search engines and external links, etc etc etc. Best avoided.

By using Composer, I tend to avoid them.