Ethernet Card ID

Post by Peter Adams » Sat, 20 Oct 1990 04:03:08

Hi Netters:

We are seeking a utility that will obtain the ethernet card address
after the card has been installed in the Mac (so the user can't
see the label on the card).  IBM versions come with diagnostic
software for this, as does Nuvotek(tm), other Mac cards do not
have this capability.

I'm no Mac guru but I assume the ethernet address should be
available at some RAM addr.  Does anybody know of a (preferably PD)
program that can get the address?

Thanx in advance.

            |  Peter Adamson
  __ _  _   |  Univ of Oregon

/   _)/  |  |
            |  They don't know what they don't know...
            |                                   -  An Englishman, I believe
            |  Peter Adamson
  __ _  _   |  Univ of Oregon

Ethernet Card ID

Post by kan.. » Sun, 28 Oct 1990 22:58:43

> Hi Netters:

> We are seeking a utility that will obtain the ethernet card address
> after the card has been installed in the Mac (so the user can't
> see the label on the card).  IBM versions come with diagnostic
> software for this, as does Nuvotek(tm), other Mac cards do not
> have this capability.

> I'm no Mac guru but I assume the ethernet address should be
> available at some RAM addr.  Does anybody know of a (preferably PD)
> program that can get the address?

> Thanx in advance.

>             |  Peter Adamson
>   __ _  _   |  Univ of Oregon

> /   _)/  |  |
>             |  They don't know what they don't know...
>             |                                      -  An Englishman, I believe
> --
>             |  Peter Adamson
>   __ _  _   |  Univ of Oregon

NCSA Telnet does that. Menu Network, menuitem Show Network Numbers ..., shown
are IP Number, EthernetNumber, Slot, Subnet Mask. NCSA Telnet is in public
domain. Address: National Center for Supercomputing Applications, University
of Illinois, Software Development - NCSA Telnet, 152 Computing Applications

1. Help ID Card: Giantek Chinese ROM Card?

Hi;

I recently got a set of two Apple II expansion cards thatI would like
help identifying. The two cards are connected together with a fourteen
pin ribbon cable.

The first card has "Giantek Technology Corp." and "Super E-Card" printed
on the board. The card consists of five ROM sockets. Four of these
sockets are filled with EPROM chips labeled ROM-1 to ROM-4. The ROM's
are also labeled in what I believe to be Chinese.  There is also an
empty ROM socket after ROM-4. There are two smaller chips with the
markings sanded off and a larger 20-pin chip hideen under a plastic
coating. This last chip has a paper label also written in Chinese.

The second card has six EPROM chips labeled ROM-1 to ROM-6. The ROM's
are also labeled in Chinese. There are six smaller chips with the
markings sanded off. In addidion, there three other chips. One, which
really confused me, is a Z80A CPU chip. The board's configuration does
not resemble any type of CP/M card that I have seen. The second chip is
marked "HM6116P-2". The third chip is a socketed with "M5L8255AP-5" and
"84A609" written on it.

An Internet search reveled that Giantek Technology Corp. is now a large
manufacturer of LED display boards. Further searching revealed that in
1983 Giantek developed the first "Chinese Generation Interface Card" for
the Apple II. That might mean these cards are a Chinese screen character
generator.

Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to plug in these boards
until I can figure out exactly where they should be placed.

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian A. Davis
Courseware Developer

2. ?Reformat?

3. SE/30 card with Ethernet and video *vs* SCSI Ethernet

4. Calling MSSPELL3.DLL

5. Ethernet cards: prices (was Re: how fast is Mac over ethernet?)

6. Dynamic HTML, On-the-fly pages

7. Font ID changing (RE: Font ID number listing)

8. Cisco BGP example

9. Apple Ethernet Card NB & Radius FPD card

10. Best Color Monitors, Video Cards, and Ethernet Cards?

11. Need Help - ID This Card

12. Sequential Systems Card ID

13. ID this card: PCPI progressive frame grabber