Toshiba CD-ROM Drive and Mac have Trouble with Grolier's CD

Toshiba CD-ROM Drive and Mac have Trouble with Grolier's CD

Post by Joseph D. Zak » Sun, 11 Oct 1992 01:25:22

I have a Toshiba XM3301 connected to a MacIIcx.  I ran into a problem recently
when my wife bought Grolier's 1991 encyclopedia CD for it.  The drive
wouldn't even acknowledge that the CD was inserted.  A long tale of her
relationship with Toshiba support would go here but I'll save that for
another posting.  The bottom line is that Toshiba upgraded the firmware in
the drive and now the drive acknowledges the CD but puts up the familiar,
"This is not a Macintosh disk <EJECT> <INITIALIZE>" dialog box (No, I haven't
tried to let it initialize the CD).  I'm now waiting for Toshiba to send a
floppy with new driver software on it (I currently have version 1.4).  Does
anyone have an informed opinion on this problem?

Joe Zakar

Toshiba CD-ROM Drive and Mac have Trouble with Grolier's CD

Post by Mike Berg » Sun, 11 Oct 1992 05:52:04

Quote:>I have a Toshiba XM3301 connected to a MacIIcx.  I ran into a problem recently
>when my wife bought Grolier's 1991 encyclopedia CD for it.  The drive
>wouldn't even acknowledge that the CD was inserted.  A long tale of her
>relationship with Toshiba support would go here but I'll save that for
>another posting.  The bottom line is that Toshiba upgraded the firmware in
>the drive and now the drive acknowledges the CD but puts up the familiar,
>"This is not a Macintosh disk <EJECT> <INITIALIZE>" dialog box (No, I haven't
>tried to let it initialize the CD).  I'm now waiting for Toshiba to send a
>floppy with new driver software on it (I currently have version 1.4).  Does
>anyone have an informed opinion on this problem?

*----
No, just a question.  Are you sure you got the Mac version of the
CD, and not the PC version?
--
        Mike Berger
        Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

1. Times Running Out: New Toshiba 3301 CD-ROM Drives (external) for $450

As I wrote last week, I have gotten a good deal on Toshiba XM3301B CD-ROM
that enables me to resell a few for about $450.  I must, however, determine
my total order quantity in the next few days. So if you are interested
in getting one of these, let me know as soon as possible.

These are new drives, in an enclosure, with the latest Toshiba Mac driver,
a SCSI system cable, and a disk caddy.

Note, this is the current Toshiba model, with a 325ms average access.
This is a faster drive than the 3201. I have also been told (by someone on
comp.unix.aux) that the drive is fully A/UX compatible.

The drives have a one year warranty.

The price is fairly firm, but may be a bit negotiable. Make an offer.

Josh
Josh Hodas              Home Phone:          (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street        School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514

2. unable to access hotmail thru OE5.5

3. Driver needed for Toshiba CD-ROM drive

4. HELP!! need IDE controller schematics.

5. CD-ROM now can't read Mac or foreign CDs

6. Does anyone still have a Kodak Diconix 701 printer?

7. Toshiba CD-ROM drive?

8. Link error after making fixes

9. Toshiba External CD-ROM Drive forsale (lower price)

10. Problem with Toshiba CD-ROM drive

11. Best price on Toshiba XM3401 CD-ROM drive

12. CD-ROM player won't read Data CD's

13. Toshiba CD-ROM Drives, NEED DRIVER FOR MACINTOSH